Wow6432Node

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Lee Lord

Wow6432Node
I've noticed in running my registry cleaner that there are many megabytes of
multiple program entries in the registry under Wow6432Node. Is it possible
to disable this through i.e. using autorun from sysinternals:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] ?

I remember reading somewhere this was important for the operation of Vista
but in another post from Woody Leonhard in his column, "Windows Secrets", as
stated below, it can be disabled as it's unneeded:

"Autoruns works well with Windows 7, rooting out autostart programs in some
mighty obscure Windows 7 places, such as the following Registry key:"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node

Can this be disabled? What to do? Thanks!
--
Lee Lord
Gene E. Bloch

Re: Wow6432Node
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:51:01 -0700, Lee Lord wrote:

> I've noticed in running my registry cleaner that there are many megabytes of
> multiple program entries in the registry under Wow6432Node. Is it possible
> to disable this through i.e. using autorun from sysinternals:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] ?
>
> I remember reading somewhere this was important for the operation of Vista
> but in another post from Woody Leonhard in his column, "Windows Secrets", as
> stated below, it can be disabled as it's unneeded:
>
> "Autoruns works well with Windows 7, rooting out autostart programs in some
> mighty obscure Windows 7 places, such as the following Registry key:"
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
>
> Can this be disabled? What to do? Thanks!

He didn't say that *everything* there was a problem, now, did he?

I suspect if you messed with that you'd end up with a real mess. As I
understand it, the WoW64 family has a lot of stuff needed for running 32
bit stuff (I admit to being a bit vague on details).

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Brink

Re: Wow6432Node

Hello Lee,

You might take a look at this to see if it may help any with this.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/73...gram-slow.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Lee Lord

Re: Wow6432Node

--
Lee Lord

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:51:01 -0700, Lee Lord wrote:
>
> > I've noticed in running my registry cleaner that there are many megabytes of
> > multiple program entries in the registry under Wow6432Node. Is it possible
> > to disable this through i.e. using autorun from sysinternals:
> >
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] ?
> >
> > I remember reading somewhere this was important for the operation of Vista
> > but in another post from Woody Leonhard in his column, "Windows Secrets", as
> > stated below, it can be disabled as it's unneeded:
> >
> > "Autoruns works well with Windows 7, rooting out autostart programs in some
> > mighty obscure Windows 7 places, such as the following Registry key:"
> >
> > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
> >
> > Can this be disabled? What to do? Thanks!

> He didn't say that *everything* there was a problem, now, did he?
>
> I suspect if you messed with that you'd end up with a real mess. As I
> understand it, the WoW64 family has a lot of stuff needed for running 32
> bit stuff (I admit to being a bit vague on details).
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Thanks for responding! I wasn't sure what to do. He didn't say
'everything' was a problem but he sorta indicated that Wow6432Node could be
disabled. I'm running Vista 64bit by the way.
Gordon

Re: Wow6432Node
"Lee Lord" <LeeLord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Lee Lord

Hi!
If you are going to bottom post then please put your sig at the bottom,
otherwise any decent newsreader will automatically strip ALL the text under
your sig (i.e. EVERYTHING!) on reply.

Thanks!

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Poutnik

Re: Wow6432Node
Lee Lord's previous post was like this :

> I've noticed in running my registry cleaner that there are many megabytes of
> multiple program entries in the registry under Wow6432Node.

AFAIK 64bit windows stores in Wow6432Node
registry entries for 32bit software, to separate 32 and 64 bit.

Supposing you are using many 32 bit software and therefore
it is expected to have there many keys and items.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
Gene E. Bloch

Re: Wow6432Node
On Fri, 1 May 2009 08:36:09 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> "Lee Lord" <LeeLord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> --
>> Lee Lord

> Hi!
> If you are going to bottom post then please put your sig at the bottom,
> otherwise any decent newsreader will automatically strip ALL the text under
> your sig (i.e. EVERYTHING!) on reply.
>
> Thanks!

Yes. I almost didn't see Lee Lord's reply, since my newsreader greys out
the signature (or in this case what the syntax says is a signature).

However, so many people do it that I frequently just think there isn't a
reply and go on.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Lee Lord

Re: Wow6432Node
Yes you're right, I'm using quite a few 32bit programs. Thanks for the
info... I'm learning more each day on this topic... and understand. Lee
--
Lee Lord