The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Peter Afonin

The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
Hello,

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Recently I started having a strange problem with the backup. If I run a
backup (either native Vista backup or the third party, like Acronis), the PC
freezes almost immediately, and stays this way, so I have to manually
restart it. The Vista native backup gives me this message:
The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.

The strange things about this are:

1. Everything worked fine for over a year, I don't know what triggered this
change;

2. This happens only if the backup runs on schedule, I still can backup
manually without any problems;

3. There are absolutely no records about this in the Even Viewer, like
backup had never run.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thank you,

Peter

Gene E. Bloch

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:19:42 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
>
> Recently I started having a strange problem with the backup. If I run a
> backup (either native Vista backup or the third party, like Acronis), the PC
> freezes almost immediately, and stays this way, so I have to manually
> restart it. The Vista native backup gives me this message:
> The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
>
> The strange things about this are:
>
> 1. Everything worked fine for over a year, I don't know what triggered this
> change;
>
> 2. This happens only if the backup runs on schedule, I still can backup
> manually without any problems;
>
> 3. There are absolutely no records about this in the Even Viewer, like
> backup had never run.
>
> I would appreciate any help on this.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Peter

I'll take a guess: you don't have enough free space on your hard drive for
shadow copy.

Since that is a guess, let's hope it triggers someone to corroborate my
reply, or come up with the right answer if I'm wrong.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Peter Afonin

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
Thanks, Gene, but I have more than enough free space.

Peter

"Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:19:42 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
>>
>> Recently I started having a strange problem with the backup. If I run a
>> backup (either native Vista backup or the third party, like Acronis), the
>> PC
>> freezes almost immediately, and stays this way, so I have to manually
>> restart it. The Vista native backup gives me this message:
>> The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
>>
>> The strange things about this are:
>>
>> 1. Everything worked fine for over a year, I don't know what triggered
>> this
>> change;
>>
>> 2. This happens only if the backup runs on schedule, I still can backup
>> manually without any problems;
>>
>> 3. There are absolutely no records about this in the Even Viewer, like
>> backup had never run.
>>
>> I would appreciate any help on this.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Peter

> I'll take a guess: you don't have enough free space on your hard drive for
> shadow copy.
>
> Since that is a guess, let's hope it triggers someone to corroborate my
> reply, or come up with the right answer if I'm wrong.
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Gene E. Bloch

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
Gene hangs head in shame...

Just kidding, obviously. Sorry it didn't help.

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:47:20 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:

> Thanks, Gene, but I have more than enough free space.
>
> Peter
>
> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:19:42 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
>>>
>>> Recently I started having a strange problem with the backup. If I run a
>>> backup (either native Vista backup or the third party, like Acronis), the
>>> PC
>>> freezes almost immediately, and stays this way, so I have to manually
>>> restart it. The Vista native backup gives me this message:
>>> The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
>>>
>>> The strange things about this are:
>>>
>>> 1. Everything worked fine for over a year, I don't know what triggered
>>> this
>>> change;
>>>
>>> 2. This happens only if the backup runs on schedule, I still can backup
>>> manually without any problems;
>>>
>>> 3. There are absolutely no records about this in the Even Viewer, like
>>> backup had never run.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate any help on this.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Peter

>> I'll take a guess: you don't have enough free space on your hard drive for
>> shadow copy.
>>
>> Since that is a guess, let's hope it triggers someone to corroborate my
>> reply, or come up with the right answer if I'm wrong.
>>
>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Peter Afonin

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
Thanks, no problem.

I'd disabled the PerfectDisk engine running at startup, and for the last two
days the backup was running OK. I wonder if this was a problem. Strange, it
was always running at startup before, and never caused any problems. I'll
see if it stays this way.

> Gene hangs head in shame...
>
> Just kidding, obviously. Sorry it didn't help.
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:47:20 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Gene, but I have more than enough free space.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I'll take a guess: you don't have enough free space on your hard drive
>>> for
>>> shadow copy.
>>>
>>> Since that is a guess, let's hope it triggers someone to corroborate my
>>> reply, or come up with the right answer if I'm wrong.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

> --
> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

the wharf rat

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
In article <eMCkRKayJHA.4244@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
Peter Afonin <pafonin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks, Gene, but I have more than enough free space.

Oh cool can I have some? I have to pay for all my space!

Which wasn't a problem until I adopted that stray asteroid.
Damn thing grew into a gas giant. Luckily its got a long orbital period
so I can run around to the back and move the old space out in front of it
before it gets there but that gets old real fast. Actually, it gets old
at about 66,700 kilometers an hour...

So anyway if you have a bunch of free space I'd be glad to take it
off your hands and give it to my pet planets. It's not full of comets
and stuff, is it? I mean free is cool but I can't afford an exterminator.

Peter Afonin

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
Nothing worked, unfortunately.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the shadow copy is not an issue,
something else is going on with my hard drive. For instance, when I try to
schedule the chkdsk to run after reboot, my PC often (but not always)
freezes right after I type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

"Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
> Gene hangs head in shame...
>
> Just kidding, obviously. Sorry it didn't help.
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:47:20 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Gene, but I have more than enough free space.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I'll take a guess: you don't have enough free space on your hard drive
>>> for
>>> shadow copy.
>>>
>>> Since that is a guess, let's hope it triggers someone to corroborate my
>>> reply, or come up with the right answer if I'm wrong.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

> --
> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Gene E. Bloch

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
You can also run chkdsk another way, which unfortunately will probably fail
the same way, since it's most likely the same under the skin. I just ran
it that way on the laptop this lunch hour...

Right click on your drive, chose Properties, Tools, and Check Drive for
Errors. Check the boxes you want and accept that it will do it on the next
boot.

On Fri, 8 May 2009 10:53:18 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:

> Nothing worked, unfortunately.
>
> I'm starting to think that perhaps the shadow copy is not an issue,
> something else is going on with my hard drive. For instance, when I try to
> schedule the chkdsk to run after reboot, my PC often (but not always)
> freezes right after I type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.
>
> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
>> Gene hangs head in shame...
>>
>> Just kidding, obviously. Sorry it didn't help.
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:47:20 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Gene, but I have more than enough free space.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message

>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Peter Afonin

Re: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out.
Thanks, but this probably won't solve the bigger problem.