Icon Library Location?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

CWLee

Icon Library Location?

On both my Windows 2000 Pro system, and on my XP Home
edition, there is an icon library under C:\ ...
system32\progman.exe

On my Vista Ultimate, 64-bit, I cannot find that collection
of icons. I can find a nice collection at C:\ ...
system32\shell32.dll but it does not contain the specific
icons I'm seeking.

Are there other icon libraries "hidden" in Vista which I can
access and then look for my favorite icons?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Manny Weisbord

Re: Icon Library Location?
"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

>On both my Windows 2000 Pro system, and on my XP Home
>edition, there is an icon library under C:\ ...
>system32\progman.exe
>
>On my Vista Ultimate, 64-bit, I cannot find that collection
>of icons. I can find a nice collection at C:\ ...
>system32\shell32.dll but it does not contain the specific
>icons I'm seeking.
>
>Are there other icon libraries "hidden" in Vista which I can
>access and then look for my favorite icons?
>
>Thanks.

Look for C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll
Stubbo of Oz

Re: Icon Library Location?
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 22:12:41 -0700, "CWLee"
<cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

>On both my Windows 2000 Pro system, and on my XP Home
>edition, there is an icon library under C:\ ...
>system32\progman.exe
>
>On my Vista Ultimate, 64-bit, I cannot find that collection
>of icons. I can find a nice collection at C:\ ...
>system32\shell32.dll but it does not contain the specific
>icons I'm seeking.
>
>Are there other icon libraries "hidden" in Vista which I can
>access and then look for my favorite icons?
>
>Thanks.

In c:\system32

try:-

compstui.dll
imageres.dll
mmcndmgr.dll
moricons.dll

--
----------------
Stubbo of Oz
CWLee

Re: Icon Library Location?

"Manny Weisbord" <mannyweisbord@crimest.invalid> wrote

> Look for C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll

I looked for it and didn't find it. I did find the other
three possibilities listed by "Stubbo of Oz". None of those
three contained the icons I was seeking.

Other ideas where imageres.dll might be hiding?

Thanks.

Manny Weisbord

Re: Icon Library Location?
"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

>"Manny Weisbord" <mannyweisbord@crimest.invalid> wrote
>
>> Look for C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll

>I looked for it and didn't find it. I did find the other
>three possibilities listed by "Stubbo of Oz". None of those
>three contained the icons I was seeking.
>
>Other ideas where imageres.dll might be hiding?
>
>Thanks.

I might have downloaded it some time ago and have forgotten about it.
I Googled it and found this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/84273007/imageres.dll.html

Click the "Free User" button and wait.

Put it in the System32 directory when you've downloaded it. Will
probably have to browse to it when changing an icon - it comes up
automatically for me.
Brink

Re: Icon Library Location?

Hello CWLee,

You can use this great free program "IconView" that will add a "Icons"
tab to the right click properties page of all files that contain a
library of icons in it. In this tab, you can save the icon as different
sizes of .ICO or .PNG files.

'Download IconViewer'
(http://www.botproductions.com/iconview/download.html)

The most common ones are located at "C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll"
and "C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll".

Hope this helps,
Shawn

CWLee;1024738 Wrote:
> On both my Windows 2000 Pro system, and on my XP Home
> edition, there is an icon library under C:\ ...
> system32\progman.exe
>
> On my Vista Ultimate, 64-bit, I cannot find that collection
> of icons. I can find a nice collection at C:\ ...
> system32\shell32.dll but it does not contain the specific
> icons I'm seeking.
>
> Are there other icon libraries "hidden" in Vista which I can
> access and then look for my favorite icons?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Gene E. Bloch

Re: Icon Library Location?
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 03:58:14 -0500, Manny Weisbord wrote:

> "CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
>

>>"Manny Weisbord" <mannyweisbord@crimest.invalid> wrote
>>
>>> Look for C:\windows\system32\imageres.dll

>>I looked for it and didn't find it. I did find the other
>>three possibilities listed by "Stubbo of Oz". None of those
>>three contained the icons I was seeking.
>>
>>Other ideas where imageres.dll might be hiding?
>>
>>Thanks.

> I might have downloaded it some time ago and have forgotten about it.
> I Googled it and found this:
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/84273007/imageres.dll.html
>
> Click the "Free User" button and wait.
>
> Put it in the System32 directory when you've downloaded it. Will
> probably have to browse to it when changing an icon - it comes up
> automatically for me.

OTOH, imageres.dll is on my computer as received from the factory...So you
also might very well have it natively.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Chad Harris

Re: Icon Library Location?

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message

> On both my Windows 2000 Pro system, and on my XP Home edition, there is an
> icon library under C:\ ... system32\progman.exe
>
> On my Vista Ultimate, 64-bit, I cannot find that collection of icons. I
> can find a nice collection at C:\ ... system32\shell32.dll but it does
> not contain the specific icons I'm seeking.
>
> Are there other icon libraries "hidden" in Vista which I can access and
> then look for my favorite icons?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

Hey hey Mr. Lee--

If you have experience slaying dragons, nailing the 1000+ native icons in
Win XP, Vista, and Win 7 should be a piece of cake. Additionally, you can
troll for thousands more icons a couple of other ways.

1) Icons are nailed in the Windows OS from many sources that are native,
default, intrinsic or as we say on the street the Windows OS comes packin'
wit dem.

First of all, many many many .dlls in the System 32 folder have them. Many
don't. The best way to find out is when you have time to kill, you just
click 'em and they will show up. Note--you can't just navigate to the
C:\Windows\System32 folder from the IE address bar, run box, or other places
to find the icons. You have to open these .dlls in this way: Put a new
folder on your desktop or pick one. Rt. click>properties>customize>change
icon>there are icons in the default folder of course>then browse>system32
will be the default folder. From there, there are probably about 70 .dlls
full of icons or containing just a few. Some have none and your click will
be in vain. Just return to browse and you'll be back in the System 32
folder.

Tip: When in the System 32 folder, scroll down past the folders themselves
and to the .dlls. If your place left off in the "M's" then click any .dll
and then hit the "M" key to save scrolling.

Tip: In the System 32 folder, almost ever colored icon for an application
or component of Vista or Windows 7 has icons in them if you click them, but
they aren't necessarily prolific or the best icons.

2) One other good source in the OS is to use the change icon dialogue box
and navigate to a program folder. For example, if I want something to have
an Office application icon, like the Excel Icon, I simply follow the path
above, and after hitting the browse button I substitute in the address bar
of the System 32 folder, C:\Program Files (or whatever drive you have MSFT
Office installed into. Then I go to for example on one of my boxes

E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 and I can click on the different
Office apps there and find icons in every program's folder.

You can harvest
different Office icons from the different programs like Access, Word,
Powerpoint, Excel, Infopath, One Note, etc. Sometimes other folders willhave
icons for use--you have to check them out on a trial/error basis.

Note that all your download programs often have many folders for icons
forexample C:\Programs\Photoshop or C:\Windows or C:\ZipFiles\Whatever
Program.
Even hidden file folders can yield interesting icons. You're going to
kisssome frogs for example on the System 32 .dlls, but native to Vista
orWindows XP and other Windows OS flavors you'll find staches of
interestingicons like moricons.dll, hticons.dll, pifmgr.dll

3) Favicons are a great source.

I collect icons including favicons from www.whatever.com/favicon.ico when
they are available (I mean by that I add favicon.ico to the url and see if
Ican drag a favicon from the resulting window if one is available). Then I
put the icons in a folder and can exchange them from properties>customize
tab>change icon button or similar buttons when you right click properties.

You cannot exchange with shortcuts in Vista for some ridiculous reason only
people on the Shell Team can explain,, but you can exchange with folders.
In XP you can exchange with shortcuts, and in Windows 7, déjà vu all over
again, you can. I think it has something to do with Yogi Berra throwing out
the first pitch in the new Yankee Stadium the other day.

The way to keep the "e" from coming back when you reboot or clear Temp
Internet Files is that you have to apply two rules.

1) You have to rename the new icon or favicon
2) You have to give it a house, i.e. you have to tuck it into a folder.

If you don't fulfill both those requirements you're going to loose that
newicon you exchanged.

To get the You Tube favicon ) you simply type www.youtube.com/favicon.ico
and then left click mouse drag the favicon from the window onto the
desktop.It's a simple concept; once you drag a favicon out of a window, you
have togive it a name and ahouse. You have to save the icons in a folder--I
call mine originally Favicons and store it on my data drive but you can drag
it anywhere and then you navigate to it to change to its icon. I have
hundreds of icons I've collected over the years in mine, and give it to
people as gifts.

4) You can google or msn search or search engine for specific icons and many
of them are free. Then you drag and drop the icon folder or icons as long
as they are .ico into your favicons folder and you can then use them.

Example:

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...ista+icon+sets

In summary, the XP, Vista, and Windows 7 OS have over 1000 native icons that
can be harvested and used via the Change Icon dialogue box. You can also
harvest from program folders, and from zip files downloaded. Another huge
source are finding specific icon collections, many free, using a search
engine.

Enjoy.

Good luck,

CH

Chad Harris

Re: Icon Library Location?

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message

> On both my Windows 2000 Pro system, and on my XP Home edition, there is an
> icon library under C:\ ... system32\progman.exe
>
> On my Vista Ultimate, 64-bit, I cannot find that collection of icons. I
> can find a nice collection at C:\ ... system32\shell32.dll but it does
> not contain the specific icons I'm seeking.
>
> Are there other icon libraries "hidden" in Vista which I can access and
> then look for my favorite icons?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

Mr. Lee--

I should add that there are many many icon harvesters available for
download. Some are free, and the rest cost about $20-$25.

CH

CWLee

Re: Icon Library Location?

"Chad Harris" <Win7@yes_she_can.net> wrote an excellent
posting on icons, and a postscript to it, both above. Thank
you, and I hope you realize how much others appreciate
efforts like yours when they appear in various newsgroups.

As it turns out in this case, we perhaps have opposite
philosophies. I slay dragons, perhaps you nourish them.
:-)

Leaving dragons aside, you seem to enjoy icons, and I hate
them. On all my computers I've finally managed to get all
the icons the same. Yes, at least on the desktops, every
icon is the same. I prefer to rely on the titles below
them, which I have changed to suit my taste (for example,
from Internet Explorer, to Browser) The plainest icon I
could find is the one I use everywhere, and it is contained
in the file system32\progman.exe which does not appear
to be on my Vista. However, I found a way to import it from
my 2000, and it is already on my XP.

So, many thanks again, and may your cup of icons forever
overflow!

Best regards.