shuts down by itself/restarts with safe mode prompt

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

RhinoCRoss

shuts down by itself/restarts with safe mode prompt

Hi, in the last week or so, my Dell laptop has been shutting down at
night by itself, and when I turn it back on, I get the safe mode
options. I use bittorrent at night, so this is extremely inconvenient.
It does not log these events in any way, and seems to start up with no
problems. I have set hibernation/sleep to "never", and I have changed my
screensaver. Any help with this would be much appreciated, as the
scumbag techs at dell support refuse to help, as they did when I bought
the computer and it had a faulty HD. And that's with the expensive
warranty.

--
RhinoCRoss
Richard Urban

Re: shuts down by itself/restarts with safe mode prompt
1. You have bit torrent set to shut down the computer when the download
is finished

2. Your computer is crashing upon shutdown (bit torrent?)

3. Set your computer to give you a blue screen when it does #2 above.
Then you can try to determine what has caused the crash.

Go to My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Start Up and Recovery

Remove the check from Automatically Restart

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"RhinoCRoss" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi, in the last week or so, my Dell laptop has been shutting down at
> night by itself, and when I turn it back on, I get the safe mode
> options. I use bittorrent at night, so this is extremely inconvenient.
> It does not log these events in any way, and seems to start up with no
> problems. I have set hibernation/sleep to "never", and I have changed my
> screensaver. Any help with this would be much appreciated, as the
> scumbag techs at dell support refuse to help, as they did when I bought
> the computer and it had a faulty HD. And that's with the expensive
> warranty.
>

> --
> RhinoCRoss

Vanshaj Daga

RE: shuts down by itself/restarts with safe mode prompt
Well under power settings also disable if you set anything on "when i close
lid" to do nothing. And next to check will be that the cpu fan is working
fine or there is quiet a lot dust. Try to get some benchmarking software that
can judge your cpu temperature. Also check your laptop bios for anything with
thermal or heat related settings. Hope it help. If you find some other issues
then post again.
--
Vanshaj Daga
vanshajdaga2002net@hotmail.com