Microphone not working?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Kenny

Microphone not working?
New Toshiba A300-1E7 laptop, Vista Business, Realtek audio.
Connected to large screen TV and hi-fi to use for karaoke.
Problem is that an external mic won't work, have tried 3 different ones.
Realtek drivers pre-installed only showed the internal mic, no other
present.
Downloaded and installed newer audio drivers from Toshiba, now it shows both
internal and external (front 3.5mm jack) but it still won't work.
Have checked that correct mic is selected/enabled and that it's not muted
or turned down.
Have used similar setup for karaoke going way back to Win 98, much lower
specs and no problems at all.
Don't have an audio mixer panel like XP and have to dig deep for mic
settings, also cannot change voice effects.
Was bought from E-buyer, I have requested an RMA but have to phone them
first.
I also had big problems at the start with wi-fi, no drivers were installed
and it took quite a while to find the right ones.
Don't know if this is Vista, audio drivers or just a crappy soundcard and am
also wondering what other problems will arise when I start using things wike
Firewire, Bluetooth, HDMI etc.
This is not a cheap laptop, could have got one for less than half the price
which would have worked with karaoke.
Replies appreciated.

--
Kenny Cargill

Jon

Re: Microphone not working?

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> New Toshiba A300-1E7 laptop, Vista Business, Realtek audio.
> Connected to large screen TV and hi-fi to use for karaoke.
> Problem is that an external mic won't work, have tried 3 different ones.
> Realtek drivers pre-installed only showed the internal mic, no other
> present.
> Downloaded and installed newer audio drivers from Toshiba, now it shows
> both internal and external (front 3.5mm jack) but it still won't work.
> Have checked that correct mic is selected/enabled and that it's not muted
> or turned down.
> Have used similar setup for karaoke going way back to Win 98, much lower
> specs and no problems at all.
> Don't have an audio mixer panel like XP and have to dig deep for mic
> settings, also cannot change voice effects.
> Was bought from E-buyer, I have requested an RMA but have to phone them
> first.
> I also had big problems at the start with wi-fi, no drivers were installed
> and it took quite a while to find the right ones.
> Don't know if this is Vista, audio drivers or just a crappy soundcard and
> am also wondering what other problems will arise when I start using things
> wike Firewire, Bluetooth, HDMI etc.
> This is not a cheap laptop, could have got one for less than half the
> price which would have worked with karaoke.
> Replies appreciated

Here's one to try if you've not already .....

Control Panel > Sound > Recording (tab) > [Click on microphone] > Properties
> Custom (tab)

and then select (or deselect) 'Mic2 Select' if such an option is available.

Experimenting with some of the other options in that region may also help.

You could also get the latest soundcard drivers from Realtek themselves
(rather than via Toshiba).

--
Jon

Kenny

Re: Microphone not working?
Thanks for the reply, have tried everything with the mics.
Have come to the conclusion it's a crappy soundcard and won't do something
as simple as karaoke.
It's going back in the box and back to E-buyer for a refund.

--
Kenny Cargill