If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 can I go backwards?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Leon

If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 can I go backwards?
I have installed Windows 7 beta but I don't like many of its limitations. I
have a Vista installation that might benefit from an upgrade to Windows 7
but I'm not sure. If I use my Windows 7 beta install DVD to upgrade Vista,
can I go backwards if I don't like it?

Thanks.

Kerry Brown

Re: If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 can I go backwards?

"Leon" <trotsky@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> I have installed Windows 7 beta but I don't like many of its limitations.
> have a Vista installation that might benefit from an upgrade to Windows 7
> but I'm not sure. If I use my Windows 7 beta install DVD to upgrade Vista,
> can I go backwards if I don't like it?

No. Going backwards would require a clean install of Vista. To go backwards
you will need a backup of Vista before you upgrade to Windows 7. If you
decide to go back to Vista you would have to backup any new data, restore
the Vista backup, then restore the new data.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Leon

> "Leon" <trotsky@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have installed Windows 7 beta but I don't like many of its limitations.
>> have a Vista installation that might benefit from an upgrade to Windows 7
>> but I'm not sure. If I use my Windows 7 beta install DVD to upgrade
>> Vista,
>> can I go backwards if I don't like it?
>>

> No. Going backwards would require a clean install of Vista. To go
> backwards you will need a backup of Vista before you upgrade to Windows 7.
> If you decide to go back to Vista you would have to backup any new data,
> restore the Vista backup, then restore the new data.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Thanks. I presume that it would be best for me to use Windows 7 beta backup
to first create a full system back up my Windows 7 beta and Vista
partitions?

LegendsOfBatman

Leon;1484462 Wrote:
> I have installed Windows 7 beta but I don't like many of its
> limitations. I
> have a Vista installation that might benefit from an upgrade to Windows
> 7
> but I'm not sure. If I use my Windows 7 beta install DVD to upgrade
> Vista,
> can I go backwards if I don't like it?
>
> Thanks.

Mary J. Foley of ZDNet just blogged on this last week.
Microsoft will actually allow people to pay for Windows 7 and allow for
people to upgrade backwards. (I refuse to call it a downgrade if the
newer is not an improvement).
But, from everything i have read, Windows 7 (which is really Windows 8
or even 9) is a vast improvement over Vista (and perhaps over XP). It's
suppose to be less a resource hog and work much more efficiently than XP
or Vista.

Im excited about Win 7, but, am very apprehensive about spending even
MORE money on another OS, after having purchasedwin ME, XP, Vista, Vista
64 bit and another copy of XP. (All but the first two, bought within the
last 18 months).

--
LegendsOfBatman
webster72n

>> "Leon" <trotsky@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have installed Windows 7 beta but I don't like many of its
>>> limitations. I
>>> have a Vista installation that might benefit from an upgrade to Windows
>>> 7
>>> but I'm not sure. If I use my Windows 7 beta install DVD to upgrade
>>> Vista,
>>> can I go backwards if I don't like it?
>>>

>> No. Going backwards would require a clean install of Vista. To go
>> backwards you will need a backup of Vista before you upgrade to Windows
>> 7. If you decide to go back to Vista you would have to backup any new
>> data, restore the Vista backup, then restore the new data.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

> Thanks. I presume that it would be best for me to use Windows 7 beta
> backup to first create a full system back up my Windows 7 beta and Vista
> partitions?

Wouldn't it be better to aim for dual boot, providing there is enough room
available for an extra partition? Or you can install it on a virtual machine
in order to try it out first. Seems like less trouble to me.

Harry.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 can I go backwards?
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:47:18 -0700, "Leon" <trotsky@hushmail.com>
wrote:

> I have installed Windows 7 beta but I don't like many of its limitations. I
> have a Vista installation that might benefit from an upgrade to Windows 7
> but I'm not sure. If I use my Windows 7 beta install DVD to upgrade Vista,
> can I go backwards if I don't like it?

No. You would have to clean install Windows Vista or restore it from a
clone or image you made of it.

Moreover, in my view, doing what you propose is very dangerous. This
is beta software--software undergoing testing--not released software,
and beta software is software that's not ready for release because it
still has problems. You should only install a beta operating system if
you have an extra non-production machine to install it on, and if you
enjoy playing with and testing such a thing. For the enormous majority
of people, doing this is a bad mistake.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Leon

"webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Leon" <trotsky@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Leon" <trotsky@hushmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> No. Going backwards would require a clean install of Vista. To go
>>> backwards you will need a backup of Vista before you upgrade to Windows
>>> 7. If you decide to go back to Vista you would have to backup any new
>>> data, restore the Vista backup, then restore the new data.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kerry Brown
>>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>>

>> Thanks. I presume that it would be best for me to use Windows 7 beta
>> backup to first create a full system back up my Windows 7 beta and Vista
>> partitions?

> Wouldn't it be better to aim for dual boot, providing there is enough room
> available for an extra partition? Or you can install it on a virtual
> machine in order to try it out first. Seems like less trouble to me.
>
> Harry.

I have dual boot, Windows 7 beta and Vista U all 64-bit. I was trying for
triple boot. My plan was to create a third partition on my 0.75 terabyte 3
drive RAID storage array. That worked out OK using Vista. Then I planned to
use commercial software to copy my Vista partition and make a bootable
clone. Then I planned to use my Windows 7 beta install DVD to upgrade my
64-bit Vista U partition. I hoped then to have three bootable partitions,
one Windows 7 beta, clean install one Windows 7 U derived from an upgrade of
Vista U and one Vista U -64 bit. Windows 7 beta was clearly marked, "for
trial only". That was what I planned to do, to try an upgrade to see if I
liked it. I have put literally thousands of dollars in man hours into
building my system. I have some cloned partitions and Windows Backups on a
partitioned single drive store. I have been unable to do what I should be
able to do with commercial partition management software and I suspect that
Microsoft lawyers are implicated. I am at risk of losing all my work even
though what I wish to do is within the written guidelines of Windows 7 beta.

Why does Bill Gates and the lawyers for Microsoft never post online?

Charles Tomaras

> Why does Bill Gates and the lawyers for Microsoft never post online?

Hey Leon, Bill Gates retired from Microsoft last year. He is no longer an MS
employee and he doesn't have an office nor a desk in Redmond. You need to
start whining about someone else now when things don't please you.

LegendsOfBatman

Leon;1484517 Wrote:

> Why does Bill Gates and the lawyers for Microsoft never post online?

Because anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of
law. lol

--
LegendsOfBatman
LegendsOfBatman

Re: If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 can I go backwards?

Am I alone here, but wouldnt MS be doing itself a favor by opening up
the public beta testing again for Win 7?
As mentioned above, I am in absolutely no hurry to buy yet another OS,
without being able to test it, to see if it works for ME.
I for one am sick and tired of shelling out money just to find out that
the software does not work right for me. And, sadly, because these
corporations are worried about piracy (rightfully so) software, music,
etc is not returnable. i think this is just wrong. We don't see Levis
with anti-piracy built into their jeans (yeah, I know, it's not the
same, but, the point is, which is software, movies, music is the only
industry allowed to refuse returns if they dont work properly).
So, yeah, I think MS should open itself up for beta and trial version
testing.

--
LegendsOfBatman