Cannot uninstall AVG

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Retired

Cannot uninstall AVG
I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the upgrade, I
had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7 from Grisoft.

After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so I went
into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating system,
Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at the end that AVG
had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG was still there. I tried
uninstalling AVG several more times, and every time Vista told me that it
was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and it won't run.

Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.

JimR

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
"Retired" <retired@my.hom> wrote in message
>I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the upgrade, I
>had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7 from Grisoft.
>
> After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so I
> went into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating
> system, Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at the
> end that AVG had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG was still
> there. I tried uninstalling AVG several more times, and every time Vista
> told me that it was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and it won't run.
>
> Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.

Try reinstalling AVG, then uninstalling.

--
Jim

Retired

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG

"JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Retired" <retired@my.hom> wrote in message
>>I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the upgrade,
>>I had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7 from Grisoft.
>>
>> After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so I
>> went into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating
>> system, Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at the
>> end that AVG had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG was still
>> there. I tried uninstalling AVG several more times, and every time Vista
>> told me that it was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and it won't run.
>>
>> Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.
>>

> Try reinstalling AVG, then uninstalling.

Thanks, but I tried that. I downloaded a new copy of the program from
Grisoft, tried installing it, but it would only allow an uninstall or repair
option because the original version was still on the computer. However, when
I chose the uninstall option, it did not work.

I turned off UAC and tried uninstalling AVG again, still did not work even
after I downloaded a new copy of AVG. Then I tried deleting the files in AVG
one at a time. That didn't work either (at least for EXE and DLL files. The
system said I didn't have permission.

So now I'm really confused. I turned off UAC and am still getting all of
these PITA Vista messages.

Frank

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
Retired wrote:
> "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Retired" <retired@my.hom> wrote in message
>>news:%23tuldOifHHA.5052@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl.. .
>>
>>>I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the upgrade,
>>>I had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7 from Grisoft.
>>>
>>>After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so I
>>>went into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating
>>>system, Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at the
>>>end that AVG had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG was still
>>>there. I tried uninstalling AVG several more times, and every time Vista
>>>told me that it was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and it won't run.
>>>
>>>Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.
>>>

>>Try reinstalling AVG, then uninstalling.

> Thanks, but I tried that. I downloaded a new copy of the program from
> Grisoft, tried installing it, but it would only allow an uninstall or repair
> option because the original version was still on the computer. However, when
> I chose the uninstall option, it did not work.
>
> I turned off UAC and tried uninstalling AVG again, still did not work even
> after I downloaded a new copy of AVG. Then I tried deleting the files in AVG
> one at a time. That didn't work either (at least for EXE and DLL files. The
> system said I didn't have permission.
>
> So now I'm really confused. I turned off UAC and am still getting all of
> these PITA Vista messages.

Go to run/msconfig/tools. Scroll down to disable uac, click on it to
high light it, then click on launch.
Now re-boot. UAC is now disabled.
anything associated with AVG.
Re-boot and if you have AVG icons in the taskbar, right click on them
and exit.
Now delete AVG.
HTH
Frank
Charles W Davis

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
If you had read the instructions on the AVG download pages, you would have
seen something like this,
Don't uninstall, start the install and when you are offered the choice of
install or repair install, choose the repair install.
"Retired" <retired@my.hom> wrote in message
>I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the upgrade, I
>had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7 from Grisoft.
>
> After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so I
> went into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating
> system, Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at the
> end that AVG had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG was still
> there. I tried uninstalling AVG several more times, and every time Vista
> told me that it was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and it won't run.
>
> Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.

Retired

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow AM.

"Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message
> If you had read the instructions on the AVG download pages, you would have
> seen something like this,
> Don't uninstall, start the install and when you are offered the choice of
> install or repair install, choose the repair install.
> "Retired" <retired@my.hom> wrote in message
>>I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the upgrade,
>>I had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7 from Grisoft.
>>
>> After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so I
>> went into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating
>> system, Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at the
>> end that AVG had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG was still
>> there. I tried uninstalling AVG several more times, and every time Vista
>> told me that it was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and it won't run.
>>
>> Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.

Retired

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
Thanks, Frank. I'll try it in the morning.

Daze N. Knights

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
I agree with Charles. I would try doing the "Repair," and then see if
the original problem with AVG was fixed or not. If it was, you're good
to go. If not, I would next try the "Uninstall" option.

BTW, I am running AVG7.5 Free on Vista with no problems at all. It is
certainly compatible, and I can't imagine why you are having so much
trouble uninstalling it. Doing so certainly shouldn't require turning
off UAC.

Daze
------

Charles W Davis wrote:
> If you had read the instructions on the AVG download pages, you would
> have seen something like this,
> Don't uninstall, start the install and when you are offered the choice
> of install or repair install, choose the repair install.
> "Retired" <retired@my.hom> wrote in message
>> I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the
>> upgrade, I had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7
>> from Grisoft.
>>
>> After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so
>> I went into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating
>> system, Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at
>> the end that AVG had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG
>> was still there. I tried uninstalling AVG several more times, and
>> every time Vista told me that it was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and
>> it won't run.
>>
>> Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.

Retired

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
Thanks. Actually there are 3 options listed: (1) Add or remove components,
(2) Repair, and (3) uninstall. There is no "Install" options as long as an
existing copy of AVG is still on my hard drive. The Grisoft webpage where I
downloaded AVG had no list of instructions about how to do what you
suggested.

I tried option (2), "Repair". It went through the steps and there were no
error messages, but when I tried to do an uninstall, it went through the
processed almost instantly, ending with a "Finished" message immediately -
but IT DID NOT UNINSTALL.

"Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message
> If you had read the instructions on the AVG download pages, you would have
> seen something like this,
> Don't uninstall, start the install and when you are offered the choice of
> install or repair install, choose the repair install.
> "Retired" <retired@my.hom> wrote in message
>>I upgraded my XP machine to Vista Home Premium. Before doing the upgrade,
>>I had been using an anti-virus program called AVG version 7 from Grisoft.
>>
>> After installing Vista I discovered that AVG would no longer work, so I
>> went into Control Panel, Add/Remove to uninstall AVG. The operating
>> system, Vista, went through the process of uninstalling, stating at the
>> end that AVG had been uninstalled. However, when I checked, AVG was still
>> there. I tried uninstalling AVG several more times, and every time Vista
>> told me that it was uninstalled - but it wasn't, and it won't run.
>>
>> Why wouldn't AVG uninstall? How can I get it to uninstall? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=

Re: Cannot uninstall AVG
To uninstall it, you first have to disable it(TURN ITOFF). It has NOTHING to
do with the UAC. It is quite simple, you can not uninstall something that is
still is running, which an anti-virus always is. Right-click on the icon,
there should be an option there to disable it Turn it off, then uninstall it.

Mick Murphy in Australia(QLD)