Vista cannot connect to internet - local access only

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Vista cannot connect to internet - local access only
I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet without
problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either wirelessly or wired,
but two other computers running XP can connect both wired and wireless.

The connection shows as 'local access only'.

I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any advice
would be gratefully received.
Jon Wallace

Re: Vista cannot connect to internet - local access only

Has anything changed on the machine recently (updates / patches / drivers
etc...) ? Have you recently updated your antivirus product, or installed a
firewall or something?

I would start by trying to disable (or stop) anything security related you
have on your machine first to see if it addresses the problem. It's alo
worth checking your network properties to see if for whatever reason your IP
address has been fixed as apposed to being DHCP...

Regards,
Jon

www.insidetheregistry.com

---

"D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet
>without
> problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either wirelessly or
> wired,
> but two other computers running XP can connect both wired and wireless.
>
> The connection shows as 'local access only'.
>
> I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any
> advice
> would be gratefully received.

MBUnit

D wrote:
> I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet without
> problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either wirelessly or wired,
> but two other computers running XP can connect both wired and wireless.
>
> The connection shows as 'local access only'.
>
> I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any advice
> would be gratefully received.

What IP does the machine have?

Have you tried to reset the TCP/IP Stack?

Alias's Ass Kicker

"MBUnit" <MB@Unit.com> wrote in message
>D wrote:
>> I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet
>> without problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either
>> wirelessly or wired, but two other computers running XP can connect both
>> wired and wireless.
>>
>> The connection shows as 'local access only'.
>>
>> I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any
>> advice would be gratefully received.

> What IP does the machine have?
>
> Have you tried to reset the TCP/IP Stack?

Is the TCP/IP stack like the Pancake Stack you serv at McDonald's? IF a
customer asks for another syrup, do you have to charge the customer or do
you just put another syrup on their tray and look the other way?

Gene E. Bloch

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:28:02 -0700, D wrote:

> I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet without
> problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either wirelessly or wired,
> but two other computers running XP can connect both wired and wireless.
>
> The connection shows as 'local access only'.
>
> I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any advice
> would be gratefully received.

I've seen posts on this message, but I don't have an answer.

However, since it might be common, perhaps Googling on that message could
help.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Re: Vista cannot connect to internet - local access only
Thanks, Jon. There have been the usual MS updates, and AVG. Nothing new
installed. I have updated the firmware on the router, disabled the firewall
(and AVg briefly!), deleted connections, checked the DHCP, unticked v6, and
probably half-a-dozen other things, all to no avail.

I have scoured the internet, and got precisely nowhere - I am hoping that
there is something obvious that I have missed - any ideas?

"Jon Wallace" wrote:

> Has anything changed on the machine recently (updates / patches / drivers
> etc...) ? Have you recently updated your antivirus product, or installed a
> firewall or something?
>
> I would start by trying to disable (or stop) anything security related you
> have on your machine first to see if it addresses the problem. It's alo
> worth checking your network properties to see if for whatever reason your IP
> address has been fixed as apposed to being DHCP...
>
> Regards,
> Jon
>
> www.insidetheregistry.com
>
> ---
>
> "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet
> >without
> > problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either wirelessly or
> > wired,
> > but two other computers running XP can connect both wired and wireless.
> >
> > The connection shows as 'local access only'.
> >
> > I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any
> > advice
> > would be gratefully received.

Jon Wallace

Re: Vista cannot connect to internet - local access only

What happens if you plug your internet connection (bypass your router)
straight into your machine - at least this will identify if it's the router.

Also - you haven't by any chance got 2 machines with the same name / ip etc
on the network do you?

It sounds very strange, and you seem to have done everything to
investigate... I would be tempted to say hardware (I had a Sony that had a
NIC fail and do the same thing) but for both wired and wireless to go would
be difficult. None the less, download (and create) a PE boot disk - try
this http://nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and see if your network works - at least it
will point you in the hardware direction if not.

Just trying to put ideas out there...

Regards,
Jon

www.insidetheregistry.com

---

> Thanks, Jon. There have been the usual MS updates, and AVG. Nothing new
> installed. I have updated the firmware on the router, disabled the
> firewall
> (and AVg briefly!), deleted connections, checked the DHCP, unticked v6,
> and
> probably half-a-dozen other things, all to no avail.
>
> I have scoured the internet, and got precisely nowhere - I am hoping that
> there is something obvious that I have missed - any ideas?
>
> "Jon Wallace" wrote:
>

>> Has anything changed on the machine recently (updates / patches / drivers
>> etc...) ? Have you recently updated your antivirus product, or installed
>> firewall or something?
>>
>> I would start by trying to disable (or stop) anything security related
>> you
>> have on your machine first to see if it addresses the problem. It's alo
>> worth checking your network properties to see if for whatever reason your
>> IP
>> address has been fixed as apposed to being DHCP...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jon
>>
>> www.insidetheregistry.com
>>
>> ---
>>
>> "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet
>> >without
>> > problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either wirelessly or
>> > wired,
>> > but two other computers running XP can connect both wired and wireless.
>> >
>> > The connection shows as 'local access only'.
>> >
>> > I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any
>> > advice
>> > would be gratefully received.

Mike Torello

"Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

>However, since it might be common, perhaps Googling on that message could
>help.

People usually recommend Googling when they KNOW that the problem is a
common one.

Re: Vista cannot connect to internet - local access only
I have now! Thank you for the suggestion, and I got very excited, as it
seemed to have worked.

However, after about 5 mins of being connected (slow, but connected) the
connection dropped again. Neither wired nor wireless works. The network is
showing as 'local only' again.

Any other bright ideas?

Many, many thanks

"MBUnit" wrote:

> D wrote:
> > I have a Samsung Vista Home laptop that has connected to the internet without
> > problem for over 2 years. It cannot connect now, either wirelessly or wired,
> > but two other computers running XP can connect both wired and wireless.
> >
> > The connection shows as 'local access only'.
> >
> > I have tried so many things, and have come to a grinding halt, so any advice
> > would be gratefully received.

> What IP does the machine have?
>
> Have you tried to reset the TCP/IP Stack?

Re: Vista cannot connect to internet - local access only
Thanks, Gene. Yes, it appears to be a common problem, but despite working at
this for numersous hours yesterday and today, I have not found a solution.