C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Cuzman

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Running Vista Home Premium with all updates.

I'm trying to add something to the 'hosts' file in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

If I open the 'hosts' file with notepad I can then add the line I want
at the bottom, but then I can't seem to save it again.

If I simply click 'save' it gives me the message:

Cannot create the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
Make sure that the path and filename are correct.

Can anyone advise how to amend this file and save it?
Dave-UK

Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

"Cuzman" <cuzGETRID@f2s.com> wrote in message news:ufmdnX6_hNkpC07UnZ2dnUVZ8syWnZ2d@pipex.net...

> Running Vista Home Premium with all updates.
>
> I'm trying to add something to the 'hosts' file in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
>
> If I open the 'hosts' file with notepad I can then add the line I want
> at the bottom, but then I can't seem to save it again.
>
> If I simply click 'save' it gives me the message:
>
> Cannot create the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
> Make sure that the path and filename are correct.
>
> Can anyone advise how to amend this file and save it?

It may be your antivirus software (if you have any) stopping you from editing the hosts file.

Michael Walraven

Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
You will need to run notepad with elevated permissions.

Start Orb
notepad (in search bar)
right click notepad in results
run as administrator
within this notepad open/edit/and save the hosts file

Michael

"Cuzman" <cuzGETRID@f2s.com> wrote in message

> Running Vista Home Premium with all updates.
>
> I'm trying to add something to the 'hosts' file in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
>
> If I open the 'hosts' file with notepad I can then add the line I want at
> the bottom, but then I can't seem to save it again.
>
> If I simply click 'save' it gives me the message:
>
> Cannot create the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
> Make sure that the path and filename are correct.
>
> Can anyone advise how to amend this file and save it?

Jon

Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
You can also modify the security descriptor for the file to 'take ownership'
and give yourself full access.

Right-click the hosts file > Properties > Security > .....

--
Jon

"Cuzman" <cuzGETRID@f2s.com> wrote in message

> Running Vista Home Premium with all updates.
>
> I'm trying to add something to the 'hosts' file in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
>
> If I open the 'hosts' file with notepad I can then add the line I want at
> the bottom, but then I can't seem to save it again.
>
> If I simply click 'save' it gives me the message:
>
> Cannot create the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
> Make sure that the path and filename are correct.
>
> Can anyone advise how to amend this file and save it?

Twinn II

Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
What you can do, make a backup copy of it with a different name, delete it
and replace it back in the directory. Remember, to put "hosts" in quotes so
it does not add an extension.

"Twinn II" <Twinn II@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What you can do, make a backup copy of it with a different name, delete it
> and replace it back in the directory. Remember, to put "hosts" in quotes so
> it does not add an extension.
>

> "Dave-UK" wrote:
>

>> "Cuzman" <cuzGETRID@f2s.com> wrote in message news:ufmdnX6_hNkpC07UnZ2dnUVZ8syWnZ2d@pipex.net...
>> >
>> > Running Vista Home Premium with all updates.
>> >
>> > I'm trying to add something to the 'hosts' file in
>> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
>> >
>> > If I open the 'hosts' file with notepad I can then add the line I want
>> > at the bottom, but then I can't seem to save it again.
>> >
>> > If I simply click 'save' it gives me the message:
>> >
>> > Cannot create the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
>> > Make sure that the path and filename are correct.
>> >
>> > Can anyone advise how to amend this file and save it?

>> It may be your antivirus software (if you have any) stopping you from editing the hosts file.

As the OP hasn't bothered to come back with any feedback
I wouldn't waste any more time on this thread.

Seymour Newman

Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
In any circumstance, run Notepad with admin privileges ( even if you are an
admin) and it will save the file.

--

Seymour

"Dave-UK" <here@home.com> wrote in message
news92dnRhaxu-MSp7XnZ2dnUVZ8oKdnZ2d@giganews.com...

> "Twinn II" <Twinn II@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What you can do, make a backup copy of it with a different name, delete
>> it
>> and replace it back in the directory. Remember, to put "hosts" in quotes
>> so
>> it does not add an extension.
>>

>> "Dave-UK" wrote:
>>

>>> "Cuzman" <cuzGETRID@f2s.com> wrote in message

>>> It may be your antivirus software (if you have any) stopping you from
>>> editing the hosts file.
>>>

> As the OP hasn't bothered to come back with any feedback
> I wouldn't waste any more time on this thread.

pacinitaly

Re: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

just download a new host file and open it w/ notepad and then save it (
in safe mode)

'Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File'
(http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)

--
pacinitaly

ASCII stupid question, Get A Stupid ANSI