Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Tinman

Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!
My Vista laptops, all HPs, do not show anything on-screen when shutting down
for hibernation. This is becoming a real pain in the neck. The issue is that
users don't know how long it will take, and end up giving up and just
throwing a still-on laptop into its case. Sometimes it's set to "sleep" with
the lid closed which in some cases stops the hibernation and instead is in
standby mode, draining the battery.

I've searched for this issue, but with all of the issues involving
hibernation I'm not sure if this one has been covered. To recap:
When hibernating the machine shows nothing but a blank screen. When
returning from hibernation there is a progress bar showing the status of
resuming from hibernation. I want to see this screen *when* hibernating too.
Anyone know how to make this happen?

Also, I have at times been working on a Vista laptop without realizing I am
on battery power. I never get any the low-battery warnings, although they
are indeed set properly. Instead, without any warning, the screen goes blank
and the machine hibernates (this is the final low-battery action--so this
part is normal). When returning from that hibernation the darn warning are
then shown. WTF is up with that?

--
Mike

Shane Nokes

Re: Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!
How can you not know when you're on battery power?

"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
> My Vista laptops, all HPs, do not show anything on-screen when shutting
> down for hibernation. This is becoming a real pain in the neck. The issue
> is that users don't know how long it will take, and end up giving up and
> just throwing a still-on laptop into its case. Sometimes it's set to
> "sleep" with the lid closed which in some cases stops the hibernation and
> instead is in standby mode, draining the battery.
>
> I've searched for this issue, but with all of the issues involving
> hibernation I'm not sure if this one has been covered. To recap:
> When hibernating the machine shows nothing but a blank screen. When
> returning from hibernation there is a progress bar showing the status of
> resuming from hibernation. I want to see this screen *when* hibernating
> too. Anyone know how to make this happen?
>
> Also, I have at times been working on a Vista laptop without realizing I
> am on battery power. I never get any the low-battery warnings, although
> they are indeed set properly. Instead, without any warning, the screen
> goes blank and the machine hibernates (this is the final low-battery
> action--so this part is normal). When returning from that hibernation the
> darn warning are then shown. WTF is up with that?
>

> --
> Mike

Tinman

"Shane Nokes" wrote:
> How can you not know when you're on battery power?

How can you not know that your reply had nothing to do with the question
posed?

--
Mike

LaRoux

Re: Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!
This isn't a direct answer to your question about a screen to show you what
is happening but I think I have something to help.

Firstly, sleep (AKA Hybrid Sleep) is different by default in Vista. It is a
sort of blend between XP's Hibernation and Sleep in that the state is
written out even though you don't explicitly ask for hibernation. So
solution #1 is close the lid and don't worry about it. It will sleep until
the battery gets low and then hibernate.

If the draining of the battery is a concern, why not set them to hibernate
when the lid is closed?

"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
> My Vista laptops, all HPs, do not show anything on-screen when shutting
> down for hibernation. This is becoming a real pain in the neck. The issue
> is that users don't know how long it will take, and end up giving up and
> just throwing a still-on laptop into its case. Sometimes it's set to
> "sleep" with the lid closed which in some cases stops the hibernation and
> instead is in standby mode, draining the battery.

Unless you have gone out of your way to remove it from the system tray, your
battery status should be plainly displayed in the lower right corner. If the
icon has a plug next to the battery, you are charging. If it doesn't you are
on battery power. When the bar get's down to nothing, you are SOL and the
system will hibernate to save you from yourself. If you aren't seeing the
balloon with the low battery warning before this, it's likely that either
your battery is almost done for and has a very short window from a few %
remaining and 0. Or they need to be calibrated by letting them run down to 0
and then recharge back to 100%.

> Also, I have at times been working on a Vista laptop without realizing I
> am on battery power. I never get any the low-battery warnings, although
> they are indeed set properly. Instead, without any warning, the screen
> goes blank and the machine hibernates (this is the final low-battery
> action--so this part is normal). When returning from that hibernation the
> darn warning are then shown. WTF is up with that?

PS - I took time out of my day to compose this answer at no cost to you. If
you don't find it helpful, just delete it and go on.

Shane Nokes

Re: Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!
Obviously you have no idea what you wrote then.

How clever you appear to be Mr Tinman, or is your real name Mr Scarecrow?

You quite clearly stated in your original post that you were on battery
power and didn't know it until the laptop hibernated. Then you asked WTF
was up with that?

I asked how it was possible for you to be on battery power and not know it.

So to recap, you asked WTF was up with the warnings not showing up until
after you restarted the machine. I in turn asked how you could be running
on battery power and not know it.

Now yes I realize I've stated all of this twice now in this post, but in the
hopes that
(like the playstation 3 game discs) repeating the information more than once
will help you understand.

Now here's the simple answer to all of your queries (hopefully in a form you
can understand, since you're determined to be an ass).

The only way to show an indicator is to have a hacked system file that
specifically includes that progress bar info. The default system file does
not include one.

Also when you restart that's not really a progress bar as you've stated,
it's merely an animation that does not show how far along the process is, it
just keeps repeating.

> "Shane Nokes" wrote:
>> How can you not know when you're on battery power?

> How can you not know that your reply had nothing to do with the question
> posed?
>

> --
> Mike

Tinman

"Shane Nokes" wrote:
> Obviously you have no idea what you wrote then.
>
> How clever you appear to be Mr Tinman, or is your real name Mr Scarecrow?

Reading comprehension is not your thing is it? Or is it ADD that prevents
you from focusing properly?

> You quite clearly stated in your original post that you were on battery
> power and didn't know it until the laptop hibernated. Then you asked WTF
> was up with that?

Perhaps I should state it again, using smaller words for you and the rest of
the short bus crowd.

> I asked how it was possible for you to be on battery power and not know
> it.

Well, Einstein, since I mentioned I did not "get any the low-battery
warnings" I'm going to go with I did not "get any the low-battery warnings."
You see, brainiac, the fact that the laptop's power cord easily loses
contact is a problem with the laptop, not Vista. The fact that I didn't--you
guessed it--"get any the low-battery warnings" and the lack of a hibernation
indicator is a Vista issue and is why I posted to a Vista forum. Course I
should have expected to get a reply from some pimple-faced dweeb, that would
be where you come in, completely missing the point.

--
Mike

Tinman

"LaRoux" wrote:

> This isn't a direct answer to your question about a screen to show you
> what is happening but I think I have something to help.
>
> Firstly, sleep (AKA Hybrid Sleep) is different by default in Vista. It is
> a sort of blend between XP's Hibernation and Sleep in that the state is
> written out even though you don't explicitly ask for hibernation. So
> solution #1 is close the lid and don't worry about it. It will sleep until
> the battery gets low and then hibernate.

We are hibernating specifically to conserved battery power. Letting the
machines sleep till they get low enough to enable hibernation, which could
very well occur as the laptop is being jostled around an airport, is
unacceptable.

> If the draining of the battery is a concern, why not set them to hibernate
> when the lid is closed?

Fair question. While that might work, in the past that it became a pain in
the neck to have it hibernate on every lid closure (moving it from one desk
to another, etc.).

Really can't believe Vista just shows a blank screen when hibernating--a
step backwards when compared to XP. Considering the typical Vista machine of
today will have more RAM than an XP machine did back when it was released I
can't imagine what the point of removing the indicator was (hibernating
takes longer the more RAM there is).

Moreover, the HD LEDs on these HP laptops is kind of dim, and they are right
next to the sleep LED. It's hard to tell if it's the sleep LED blinking due
to being in sleep mode or the HD LED blinking from saving the status of RAM
to disk.

--
Mike

Shane Nokes

Re: Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!
Funnily enough I don't have a reading comprehension problem.

In standardized testing (and with my SAT's that I took years ago) I've
always taken top, if not perfect, scores. In fact I scored an 800 on the
SAT verbal, for those of you keeping score 800 is the highest you can get on
each segment of the SAT's.

Let me state this once again in a way that might make sense for you,
although with the lack of intelligence you've shown I'm not holding out much
hope.

If you have a faulty connector for your laptop then perhaps you should get a
new one?

I know that anyone I buy a laptop from has this little thing called a
warranty. If a part is not working properly I call them, or e-mail them,
and they send out a replacement part (or in your case a full squad of
techs).

I then replace the part and poof it works.

Is that too hard for you to get? If the part is at fault do not blame the
OS.

Also here's a funny note for you. If the plug is still hooked in the OS
will not always detect that it's on battery power. The pins on the AC
adapter that send the signal to the PC that it's plugged in are not the same
pins that provide power.

So if you have an issue with it being "loose" then buy a new one FFS.

Oh and your wife called, she said you left your brain at home, again

> "Shane Nokes" wrote:
>> Obviously you have no idea what you wrote then.
>>
>> How clever you appear to be Mr Tinman, or is your real name Mr Scarecrow?

> Reading comprehension is not your thing is it? Or is it ADD that prevents
> you from focusing properly?
>

>> You quite clearly stated in your original post that you were on battery
>> power and didn't know it until the laptop hibernated. Then you asked WTF
>> was up with that?

> Perhaps I should state it again, using smaller words for you and the rest
> of the short bus crowd.
>

>> I asked how it was possible for you to be on battery power and not know
>> it.

> Well, Einstein, since I mentioned I did not "get any the low-battery
> warnings" I'm going to go with I did not "get any the low-battery
> warnings." You see, brainiac, the fact that the laptop's power cord easily
> loses contact is a problem with the laptop, not Vista. The fact that I
> didn't--you guessed it--"get any the low-battery warnings" and the lack of
> a hibernation indicator is a Vista issue and is why I posted to a Vista
> forum. Course I should have expected to get a reply from some pimple-faced
> dweeb, that would be where you come in, completely missing the point.
>

> --
> Mike

Andy

Re: Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!
I am going to Butt-in even though its a bit off topic.

I am a member of a number of forums, both technical (motherboards etc) and
software (3D modelling)

On these forums I have both recieved and given technical support, and on all
of these I have found very little tolerance for sarcasm and rude comment on
other peoples' problems.

I have only been reading this one for a few weeks having upgraded to Vista
recently and thinking that I can get some tips from other peoples' learning
curves.

I have found that this forum seems to have a large number of discourteous
and intolerant people, who would be kicked out by the moderator on the
others I take part in.

If a person is struggling with a problem, what is the problem with just
helping, if you don't want to help then just keep quiet and don't waste your
time typing a response, or ours reading it. There are all levels of people
using PC's, what is obvious to a techie like me who has been using and
programming since the TRS-80 may not be to a newbie. That dosen't warrant a
sarcastic and scathing comment on that persons' intelligence or character.

Where are the moderators on here ?? Its about time they kicked a bit of butt
and allowed people to ask questions without worrying they will be ridiculed.

Sorry for the rant ;-)

cheers
Andy

"Shane Nokes" <Morpheus_Phreak@nospam.ever.please.msn.com> wrote in message
> Funnily enough I don't have a reading comprehension problem.
>
> In standardized testing (and with my SAT's that I took years ago) I've
> always taken top, if not perfect, scores. In fact I scored an 800 on the
> SAT verbal, for those of you keeping score 800 is the highest you can get
> on each segment of the SAT's.
>
> Let me state this once again in a way that might make sense for you,
> although with the lack of intelligence you've shown I'm not holding out
> much hope.
>
> If you have a faulty connector for your laptop then perhaps you should get
> a new one?
>
> I know that anyone I buy a laptop from has this little thing called a
> warranty. If a part is not working properly I call them, or e-mail them,
> and they send out a replacement part (or in your case a full squad of
> techs).
>
> I then replace the part and poof it works.
>
> Is that too hard for you to get? If the part is at fault do not blame the
> OS.
>
> Also here's a funny note for you. If the plug is still hooked in the OS
> will not always detect that it's on battery power. The pins on the AC
> adapter that send the signal to the PC that it's plugged in are not the
> same pins that provide power.
>
> So if you have an issue with it being "loose" then buy a new one FFS.
>
> Oh and your wife called, she said you left your brain at home, again
>
> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
>> "Shane Nokes" wrote:
>>> Obviously you have no idea what you wrote then.
>>>
>>> How clever you appear to be Mr Tinman, or is your real name Mr
>>> Scarecrow?

>> Reading comprehension is not your thing is it? Or is it ADD that prevents
>> you from focusing properly?
>>

>>> You quite clearly stated in your original post that you were on battery
>>> power and didn't know it until the laptop hibernated. Then you asked
>>> WTF was up with that?

>> Perhaps I should state it again, using smaller words for you and the rest
>> of the short bus crowd.
>>

>>> I asked how it was possible for you to be on battery power and not know
>>> it.

>> Well, Einstein, since I mentioned I did not "get any the low-battery
>> warnings" I'm going to go with I did not "get any the low-battery
>> warnings." You see, brainiac, the fact that the laptop's power cord
>> easily loses contact is a problem with the laptop, not Vista. The fact
>> that I didn't--you guessed it--"get any the low-battery warnings" and the
>> lack of a hibernation indicator is a Vista issue and is why I posted to a
>> Vista forum. Course I should have expected to get a reply from some
>> pimple-faced dweeb, that would be where you come in, completely missing
>> the point.
>>

>> --
>> Mike

Tinman

Re: Hibernation - No indication it is doing anything!
"Shane Nokes" spewed:
<snip the BS>
> Let me state this once again in a way that might make sense for you,
> although with the lack of intelligence you've shown I'm not holding out
> much hope.
>
> If you have a faulty connector for your laptop then perhaps you should get
> a new one?

The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. I have snipped away
most of your of what you wrote, because, well... it didn't really say
anything. Your attempt at constructing a creative flame was pitiful. I mean,
really, stringing together a bunch of insults among a load of babbling was
hardly effective... Maybe later in life, after you have learned to read,
write, spell, and count, you will have more success. True, these are
rudimentary skills that many of us "normal" people take for granted that
everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we sometimes forget that there
are "challenged" persons in this world who find these things more difficult.
If I had known, that this was your case then I would have never read your
post. It just wouldn't have been "right." Sort of like parking in a handicap
space. I wish you the best of luck in the emotional, and social struggles
that seem to be placing such a demand on you.

Tune in next week when the little fella visits one of the finest steak
houses in the country. After being shown a menu showcasing the very best in
beef Shane replies, "how's the fish?"

Not a shred of relevance to the original subject, but thanks for playing.

--
Mike