Program has stopped working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

MikeB

Program has stopped working
My Sony camera software includes a utility PMB Launcher. Ever since I
installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
problem."

A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
and I can't offload my pictures.

How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
but I can't find out.

Thanks.
Leroy

Re: Program has stopped working
Since your issue appears to be related to Sony's software, contact Sony
Support and request troubleshooting assistance:
http://esupport.sony.com/

MikeB wrote:
> My Sony camera software includes a utility PMB Launcher. Ever since I
> installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
> this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
> immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
> Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
> problem."
>
> A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
> Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
> working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
> solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
> Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
> nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
> probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
> and I can't offload my pictures.
>
> How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
> as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
> but I can't find out.
>
> Thanks.

Dave-UK

MikeB wrote:
> My Sony camera software includes a utility PMB Launcher. Ever since I
> installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
> this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
> immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
> Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
> problem."
>
> A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
> Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
> working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
> solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
> Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
> nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
> probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
> and I can't offload my pictures.
>
> How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
> as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
> but I can't find out.
>
> Thanks.

You could try uninstalling the software and then re-installing it as Administrator.
Right-click the set-up exe and Run as Administrator.

MikeB

On Mar 16, 2:06*pm, Leroy <le...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Since your issue appears to be related to Sony's software, contact Sony
> Support and request troubleshooting assistance:http://esupport.sony.com/
>
> MikeB wrote:
> > My Sony camera software includes a utility PMB Launcher. Ever since I
> > installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
> > this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
> > immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
> > Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
> > problem."

> > A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
> > Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
> > working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
> > solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
> > Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
> > nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
> > probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
> > and I can't offload my pictures.

> > How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
> > as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
> > but I can't find out.

> > Thanks.

I would do this if I could find an error code or message, but there is
no indication from the Vista pop-up what the error might be. That's
what is so difficult in this situation.
MikeB

On Mar 16, 2:13*pm, Dave-UK <1...@2.com> wrote:
> MikeB wrote:
> > My Sony camera software includes a utility PMB Launcher. Ever since I
> > installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
> > this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
> > immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
> > Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
> > problem."

> > A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
> > Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
> > working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
> > solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
> > Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
> > nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
> > probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
> > and I can't offload my pictures.

> > How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
> > as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
> > but I can't find out.

> > Thanks.

> You could try uninstalling the software and then re-installing it as Administrator.
> Right-click the set-up exe and Run as Administrator.

I am th eonly user on this computer. I am the admin and I installed it
under my userid. Will it make a difference if I install it as you
suggest? Is this yet another Vista quirk?
Dave-UK

"MikeB" <MPBrede@gmail.com> wrote in message news:688c29a4-39d1-45fb-9367-c03a75fc8a3f@j8g2000yql.googlegroups.com...
> On Mar 16, 2:13 pm, Dave-UK <1...@2.com> wrote:
>> MikeB wrote:
>> > My Sony camera software includes a utility PMB Launcher. Ever since I
>> > installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
>> > this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
>> > immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
>> > Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
>> > problem."

>> > A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
>> > Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
>> > working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
>> > solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
>> > Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
>> > nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
>> > probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
>> > and I can't offload my pictures.

>> > How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
>> > as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
>> > but I can't find out.

>> > Thanks.

>> You could try uninstalling the software and then re-installing it as Administrator.
>> Right-click the set-up exe and Run as Administrator.

> I am th eonly user on this computer. I am the admin and I installed it
> under my userid. Will it make a difference if I install it as you
> suggest? Is this yet another Vista quirk?

It may make a difference. A Vista admin is not as privileged as an XP admin.

Allen

MikeB wrote:
> My Sony camera software includes a utility PMB Launcher. Ever since I
> installed Vista and upgraded to the Vista versions of the software,
> this utility has a problem. WHenever I click on the icon, almost
> immediately Windows Vista puts up a message box that says "PMB
> Launcher has stopped working. Vista is checking for a solution to your
> problem."
>
> A few seconds later this is replaced by another box that says "PMB
> Launcher has stopped working.. A problem caused the program to stop
> working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
> solution is available." The only option is to close the program.
> Nowhere can I find out what exactly is the problem and there is
> nothing on the Sony website that indicates other users have this
> probem. THis is getting to be problematic as my camera is filling up
> and I can't offload my pictures.
>
> How can I find out what might be the problem? Perhaps it is is simple
> as me having an incorrect path to the pictures folder or something,
> but I can't find out.
>
> Thanks.

You didn't say what Sony you are using, but if it is a still camera it
most likely has a removable memory card. You can get a very cheap USB
card reader (perhaps $10 US)and use it for downloading to your computer.
Most "dedicated" photographers use a card reader anyway, as it is easier
than attaching your camera, and it doesn't use up the camera battery.
One caution: use the camera's built-in functions to erase and format the
card.
Allen