What causes Vista PC to freeze?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

M Skabialka

What causes Vista PC to freeze?
A friend's Vista computer started booting only as far as the round Vista
logo then froze. I took the PC home and using my keyboard, mouse and
monitor did some maintenance, upped the memory etc and took it back. It
still froze at the logo. I replaced the keyboard and mouse and monitor one
by one to no avail. Took everything home and it worked as a system, but at
his house - still freezes.
Is this an electrical problem - if so how could I find out? Their other
computer works fine.

Bigguy

Re: What causes Vista PC to freeze?
M Skabialka wrote:
> A friend's Vista computer started booting only as far as the round Vista
> logo then froze. I took the PC home and using my keyboard, mouse and
> monitor did some maintenance, upped the memory etc and took it back. It
> still froze at the logo. I replaced the keyboard and mouse and monitor one
> by one to no avail. Took everything home and it worked as a system, but at
> his house - still freezes.
> Is this an electrical problem - if so how could I find out? Their other
> computer works fine.

Will it start in Safe Mode? (f8 during boot)

If yes it's a driver issue - has anything been added recently?

Could be hard drive corruption, registry errors and a few other
things... ;-(

Try Safe Mode first.

Don Tolbert

Re: What causes Vista PC to freeze?
Yes. If the computer works at your house, but the same system does not work
at his house, then there are possibly two reasons.

1). Electrical. If the computer is not getting sufficient voltage/amperage,
once the video and other drivers get the hardware going, it could draw too
much from the power supply to keep it functioning.
a.) Is there another location in your friends house that you can try
booting the computer up. If so, try that. One way or the other, you will
know if it's isolated to that one location or the whole house. A certified
electrician can give you exact readings and suggestions.
2.) We know it's not drivers because the drivers don't change from one house
to the next. But it could be network connection. Check with another
computer (if possible) to boot up in that same location with network
connections.

Don_T
--
If everybody knew the truth about everybody else's thoughts, there would be
way more murders. (George Carlin)

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
> A friend's Vista computer started booting only as far as the round Vista
> logo then froze. I took the PC home and using my keyboard, mouse and
> monitor did some maintenance, upped the memory etc and took it back. It
> still froze at the logo. I replaced the keyboard and mouse and monitor
> one by one to no avail. Took everything home and it worked as a system,
> but at his house - still freezes.
> Is this an electrical problem - if so how could I find out? Their other
> computer works fine.

Van Chocstraw

M Skabialka wrote:
> A friend's Vista computer started booting only as far as the round Vista
> logo then froze. I took the PC home and using my keyboard, mouse and
> monitor did some maintenance, upped the memory etc and took it back. It
> still froze at the logo. I replaced the keyboard and mouse and monitor one
> by one to no avail. Took everything home and it worked as a system, but at
> his house - still freezes.
> Is this an electrical problem - if so how could I find out? Their other
> computer works fine.

The only difference between houses would be external devices such as USB
storage etc. When you take it are us just using batteries or taking the
PS with it?

--
<<//--------------------\\>>
Van Chocstraw
>>\\--------------------//<<

M Skabialka

Re: What causes Vista PC to freeze?
It's a computer, not a laptop.

"Van Chocstraw" <boobooililililil@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>M Skabialka wrote:
>> A friend's Vista computer started booting only as far as the round Vista
>> logo then froze. I took the PC home and using my keyboard, mouse and
>> monitor did some maintenance, upped the memory etc and took it back. It
>> still froze at the logo. I replaced the keyboard and mouse and monitor
>> one by one to no avail. Took everything home and it worked as a system,
>> but at his house - still freezes.
>> Is this an electrical problem - if so how could I find out? Their other
>> computer works fine.

> The only difference between houses would be external devices such as USB
> storage etc. When you take it are us just using batteries or taking the PS
> with it?
>

> --
> <<//--------------------\\>>
> Van Chocstraw
> >>\\--------------------//<<

M Skabialka

Re: What causes Vista PC to freeze?
Yes it will start in safe mode - I changed to VGA 600x800 drivers in safe
mode at home and that's what it uses at their house.
Since it was freezing up I ran diagnostics and updated video, network and
audio drivers per the diagnosis.

"Bigguy" <bigguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>M Skabialka wrote:
>> A friend's Vista computer started booting only as far as the round Vista
>> logo then froze. I took the PC home and using my keyboard, mouse and
>> monitor did some maintenance, upped the memory etc and took it back. It
>> still froze at the logo. I replaced the keyboard and mouse and monitor
>> one by one to no avail. Took everything home and it worked as a system,
>> but at his house - still freezes.
>> Is this an electrical problem - if so how could I find out? Their other
>> computer works fine.

> Will it start in Safe Mode? (f8 during boot)
>
> If yes it's a driver issue - has anything been added recently?
>
> Could be hard drive corruption, registry errors and a few other things...
> ;-(
>
> Try Safe Mode first.

Borne Aching

> It's a computer, not a laptop.

LOL.
My sides hurt.

M Skabialka

Re: What causes Vista PC to freeze?
I tried it at four separate locations in their house, on different circuits.
I updated video, audio and network drivers at home because of the freeze-up
issues.
They have another computer with no problems.
Since I updated network drivers I haven't connected back to their wireless
network because it won't complete booting. I can connect wirelessly at
home.

So I guess they need to call an electrician.
Thanks for all suggestions,
Mich

"Don Tolbert" <dotolbert@2-10.com> wrote in message
> Yes. If the computer works at your house, but the same system does not
> work at his house, then there are possibly two reasons.
>
> 1). Electrical. If the computer is not getting sufficient
> voltage/amperage, once the video and other drivers get the hardware going,
> it could draw too much from the power supply to keep it functioning.
> a.) Is there another location in your friends house that you can try
> booting the computer up. If so, try that. One way or the other, you will
> know if it's isolated to that one location or the whole house. A
> certified electrician can give you exact readings and suggestions.
> 2.) We know it's not drivers because the drivers don't change from one
> house to the next. But it could be network connection. Check with
> another computer (if possible) to boot up in that same location with
> network connections.
>
> Don_T
> --
> If everybody knew the truth about everybody else's thoughts, there would
> be way more murders. (George Carlin)
>
> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>> A friend's Vista computer started booting only as far as the round Vista
>> logo then froze. I took the PC home and using my keyboard, mouse and
>> monitor did some maintenance, upped the memory etc and took it back. It
>> still froze at the logo. I replaced the keyboard and mouse and monitor
>> one by one to no avail. Took everything home and it worked as a system,
>> but at his house - still freezes.
>> Is this an electrical problem - if so how could I find out? Their other
>> computer works fine.

M Skabialka

Re: What causes Vista PC to freeze?
A desktop computer (i.e. a personal computer (PC) in a form intended for
regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable
computer) - and everyone else knows that is what I am talking about. So no
battery, or removable power supply.

"Borne Aching" <borneaching@moops.net> wrote in message
> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>> It's a computer, not a laptop.
>>

> LOL.
> My sides hurt.

Borne Aching

>A desktop computer (i.e. a personal computer (PC) in a form intended for
>regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable
>computer) - and everyone else knows that is what I am talking about. So
>no battery, or removable power supply.
>

> "Borne Aching" <borneaching@moops.net> wrote in message
>> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>>> It's a computer, not a laptop.
>>>

>> LOL.
>> My sides hurt.

Desktop computer....yes, with that adjective, not so funny.
My desktop computer has a battery.