Change User Name in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

ckinfiniti

Change User Name in Vista

I purchased a new computer for myself and gave my older computer to my
daughter that is in college. Does anyone know how to change the user
name on a Vista operated computer without completely reinstalling the
operating system software and all the applications that already
installed? I need to put her name in as the user and remove mines. Any
help is appreciated.

--
ckinfiniti
Night Hawk

Re: Change User Name in Vista

ckinfiniti;984888 Wrote:
> I purchased a new computer for myself and gave my older computer to my
> daughter that is in college. Does anyone know how to change the user
> name on a Vista operated computer without completely reinstalling the
> operating system software and all the applications that already
> installed? I need to put her name in as the user and remove mines. Any
> help is appreciated.

That's a simple trip into the Control Panel>user accounts and a click
on the "change admin or user name" option found there as well as even
changing the logon icon with another gif file or jpeg image. That may be
another item you will want to consider there too. That's referred to as
the profile picture.

--
Night Hawk
Malke

Re: Change User Name in Vista
Night Hawk wrote:

> ckinfiniti;984888 Wrote:
>> I purchased a new computer for myself and gave my older computer to my
>> daughter that is in college. Does anyone know how to change the user
>> name on a Vista operated computer without completely reinstalling the
>> operating system software and all the applications that already
>> installed? I need to put her name in as the user and remove mines. Any
>> help is appreciated.

> That's a simple trip into the Control Panel>user accounts and a click
> on the "change admin or user name" option found there as well as even
> changing the logon icon with another gif file or jpeg image. That may be
> another item you will want to consider there too. That's referred to as
> the profile picture.

That will make a cosmetic change only and will not affect the true
underlying folders of the user profile. You cannot change a user profile by
simply renaming it. "Ckinfiniti" needs to create an extra administrative
account if s/he hasn't already (call it "CompAdmin" or "Tech") and a new
Standard user account for his daughter. S/he then needs to log into
"CompAdmin" and delete his/her own user account. Then log back into the
daughter's new account. The "CompAdmin" account is only used for elevation
and emergencies.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ckinfiniti

Re: Change User Name in Vista

I have tried this procedure in the past and have researched Microsoft
Knowledge Base for help on this problem. It appears that I am being
blocked by the UAC & Administrative priviledges. The only options I can
change in the User Account setting is Create a password for your account
and Change your picture. I cannot change your account name, your
account type, manage another account or turn UAC on/off. It appears that
I am not the Administrative but I know I am because I build this
computer myself and their is also an display box to the right of this
options that says ckinfiniti Administrator. I have even disabled the
UAC in msconfig but that has not helped me. If there are any other
options out there for me to resolved this problem, let me know.

--
ckinfiniti
Malke

Re: Change User Name in Vista
ckinfiniti wrote:

> I have tried this procedure in the past and have researched Microsoft
> Knowledge Base for help on this problem. It appears that I am being
> blocked by the UAC & Administrative priviledges. The only options I can
> change in the User Account setting is Create a password for your account
> and Change your picture. I cannot change your account name, your
> account type, manage another account or turn UAC on/off. It appears that
> I am not the Administrative but I know I am because I build this
> computer myself and their is also an display box to the right of this
> options that says ckinfiniti Administrator. I have even disabled the
> UAC in msconfig but that has not helped me. If there are any other
> options out there for me to resolved this problem, let me know.

In this case, something else is wrong. An administrative user account can do
*all* those things. Yes, you will get the UAC prompt but simply clicking OK
will take care of it as long as you're in an administrative account.

First make sure the computer is completely virus/malware-free since malware
could definitely produce those symptoms.

If the machine is really clean, then turn UAC back on and enable the
built-in Administrator account (which is disabled by default).

To enable the build-in Administrator account, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click
Run as Administrator.

3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.

4. At the command prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes [enter]

5. Log off and you will see an icon on the Welcome Screen for Administrator.
Log into it.

6. Make your changes - create the administrative CompAdmin account and the
Standard user account for your daughter. Delete your old user account.

7. Log out and into CompAdmin. Run cmd as Administrator and disable the
built-in Administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no [enter]

8. Log into your daughter's new account and set it up the way you want.

Obviously if the computer is infected you will need to clean it up before
doing the user account work.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Brink

Re: Change User Name in Vista

ckinfiniti;984888 Wrote:
> I purchased a new computer for myself and gave my older computer to my
> daughter that is in college. Does anyone know how to change the user
> name on a Vista operated computer without completely reinstalling the
> operating system software and all the applications that already
> installed? I need to put her name in as the user and remove mines. Any
> help is appreciated.

Hello Ckinfiniti,

The only way that you can change the "C:\Users\(user name)" folder name
is to create a new administrator account, then delete the old user
account from within the new one. These tutorials will help show you how
to if needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93...nt-create.html

and

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93...nt-delete.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
ckinfiniti

Re: Change User Name in Vista

I read all the procedures you posted and decided to try the system
administrator because I thought sure this would fix my problem. I
enabled the system administrator, rebooted & logged in as the system
administrator. I went to the User Account & I still cannot change or
modify the Manager another account or Turn user account on or off. I
cannot get into any setting that have RGYB Security Badges on the left
side of it. I will trying any other ideas you or anyone else have to
fix this problem. I believe if I can get by those security badges I can
fix my problem.

--
ckinfiniti
Night Hawk

Re: Change User Name in Vista

ckinfiniti;987279 Wrote:
> I read all the procedures you posted and decided to try the system
> administrator because I thought sure this would fix my problem. I
> enabled the system administrator, rebooted & logged in as the system
> administrator. I went to the User Account & I still cannot change or
> modify the Manager another account or Turn user account on or off. I
> cannot get into any setting that have RGYB Security Badges on the left
> side of it. I will trying any other ideas you or anyone else have to fix
> this problem. I believe if I can get by those security badges I can fix
> my problem.

It sounds mostly like a good time to plan a clean install of Windows in
order to correct all problems as well as seeing a totally new
administrator account right from the start. When passing along a used
system here to a family member the system is first wiped to see a clean
copy of Windows go on with the new user's personal account created as
well as preferences.

If the older system was also a prebuilt system you would simply use the
full restore option or recovery disks for a fresh start without passing
along the current set of problems. You also would be seeing your
daughter set up with an almost brand new system having cleaned
everything up and checked over all hardwares to insure a good running
system.

--
Night Hawk
ckinfiniti

Re: Change User Name in Vista

I appreciate all the help with this problem. A house cleaning was my
last step, but I am getting close to installing that Vista install disc
to do a clean start. I just hate to spend 3 or 4 days installing
software & trying to find software keys where i purchased software from
the net. I am going to wait a couple of days before I take any action.

--
ckinfiniti
Night Hawk

Re: Change User Name in Vista

ckinfiniti;987316 Wrote:
> I appreciate all the help with this problem. A house cleaning was my
> last step, but I am getting close to installing that Vista install disc
> to do a clean start. I just hate to spend 3 or 4 days installing
> software & trying to find software keys where i purchased software from
> the net. I am going to wait a couple of days before I take any action.

Off the net? Ouch! alright. Unless the downloads are freewares commonly
available I prefer to buy or order softwares on disk just in case you
end up needing to reinstall them over again in the event of Windows
needing a fresh start or running more then one version.

Your last options before a total wipe would be seeing if you have a
restore point remaining that goes back before the initial problem was
seen or trying out a few things like running the system file checker in
case that finds a missing or clubbered system file it will replace.

--
Night Hawk