All files gone from my user account!!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

mike159

All files gone from my user account!!!

Alright, so I am in deep trouble. All of the folders on my
user account are gone and Vista reverted everything like my account was
just created. I lost all of my files and everything else I have had. Its
all been deleted!!!!!

It started this morning when I logged in and everything off of my
desktop was gone. All of the files and everything. I don't know what
happened, I didn't delete the account or make a new one or anything.

All I know is that my brother, the idiot was stupidly going through my
files from his user account (through Computer/Users), since he was
stupidly made an admin, and he was deleting some files off of my user
account. I'm not sure what it was but it must have been something he
deleted that messed up everything! I still see some of the items in my
garbage can of stuff that might have been deleted by the moron. The
other user accounts are fine, its just mine that is missing everything
and acting like its a brand new account. I don't know what he
deleted but I know he didn't do a complete wipeout of my account. I
still have a feeling that my files are somewhere because the hard drive
is still the same size.

I need help and a way to bring my files back. I know that they should
still be on the hard drive because the hard drive itself is huge and its
still the same size as it was and there are some files in my recycle
bin, so I am hoping that there is some way to fix this or I am going to
be pissed when I see him . All of my work and school files were on
this user name and he just had to go poking his dumb face through it.
Please help me with this, this is a life and death situation, more for
me than it is for him. If I cant get any of my files back I dont know
what I'll do. Please help me with this.

--
mike159
Gigaflop

Re: All files gone from my user account!!!
Didn't you post the same thing five minutes earlier?

If you had made a BACKUP of your data, you could have RESTORED you DATA.

Lesson learned. Backup your data because your hard drive could fail at any
time. Think about this. Each time you power up your PC, you could have a
hard drive crash.

"mike159" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Alright, so I am in deep trouble. All of the folders on my
> user account are gone and Vista reverted everything like my account was
> just created. I lost all of my files and everything else I have had. Its
> all been deleted!!!!!
>
> It started this morning when I logged in and everything off of my
> desktop was gone. All of the files and everything. I don't know what
> happened, I didn't delete the account or make a new one or anything.
>
> All I know is that my brother, the idiot was stupidly going through my
> files from his user account (through Computer/Users), since he was
> stupidly made an admin, and he was deleting some files off of my user
> account. I'm not sure what it was but it must have been something he
> deleted that messed up everything! I still see some of the items in my
> garbage can of stuff that might have been deleted by the moron. The
> other user accounts are fine, its just mine that is missing everything
> and acting like its a brand new account. I don't know what he
> deleted but I know he didn't do a complete wipeout of my account. I
> still have a feeling that my files are somewhere because the hard drive
> is still the same size.
>
> I need help and a way to bring my files back. I know that they should
> still be on the hard drive because the hard drive itself is huge and its
> still the same size as it was and there are some files in my recycle
> bin, so I am hoping that there is some way to fix this or I am going to
> be pissed when I see him . All of my work and school files were on
> this user name and he just had to go poking his dumb face through it.
> Please help me with this, this is a life and death situation, more for
> me than it is for him. If I cant get any of my files back I dont know
> what I'll do. Please help me with this.
>

> --
> mike159

Brink

Re: All files gone from my user account!!!

Hello Mike,

You might see if you can recover anything with the free program Recuva.

'Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File Recovery - Home'
(http://www.recuva.com/)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

mike159;984366 Wrote:
> Alright, so I am in deep trouble. All of the folders on my
> user account are gone and Vista reverted everything like my account was
> just created. I lost all of my files and everything else I have had. Its
> all been deleted!!!!!
>
> It started this morning when I logged in and everything off of my
> desktop was gone. All of the files and everything. I don't know what
> happened, I didn't delete the account or make a new one or anything.
>
> All I know is that my brother, the idiot was stupidly going through my
> files from his user account (through Computer/Users), since he was
> stupidly made an admin, and he was deleting some files off of my user
> account. I'm not sure what it was but it must have been something he
> deleted that messed up everything! I still see some of the items in my
> garbage can of stuff that might have been deleted by the moron. The
> other user accounts are fine, its just mine that is missing everything
> and acting like its a brand new account. I don't know what he
> deleted but I know he didn't do a complete wipeout of my account. I
> still have a feeling that my files are somewhere because the hard drive
> is still the same size.
>
> I need help and a way to bring my files back. I know that they should
> still be on the hard drive because the hard drive itself is huge and its
> still the same size as it was and there are some files in my recycle
> bin, so I am hoping that there is some way to fix this or I am going to
> be pissed when I see him . All of my work and school files were on
> this user name and he just had to go poking his dumb face through it.
> Please help me with this, this is a life and death situation, more for
> me than it is for him. If I cant get any of my files back I dont know
> what I'll do. Please help me with this.

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
mike159

Re: All files gone from my user account!!!

Some good news, I went through his My Computer/Users and I can see all
of the files on my desktop. The files that are supposed to be there. How
do I get it back to my user account? If I go through his I can see them
but if I go through my user account there is nothing there...... I am a
little bit happier.

--
mike159
Bill Sharpe

mike159 wrote:
> Some good news, I went through his My Computer/Users and I can see all
> of the files on my desktop. The files that are supposed to be there. How
> do I get it back to my user account? If I go through his I can see them
> but if I go through my user account there is nothing there...... I am a
> little bit happier.

Log on as administrator. You should be able to move your files from his
account back to yours.

Suggest you and your brother have separate computers...

Bill
Gene E. Bloch

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 11:23:08 -0800, Bill Sharpe wrote:

> mike159 wrote:
>> Some good news, I went through his My Computer/Users and I can see all
>> of the files on my desktop. The files that are supposed to be there. How
>> do I get it back to my user account? If I go through his I can see them
>> but if I go through my user account there is nothing there...... I am a
>> little bit happier.
>>

> Log on as administrator. You should be able to move your files from his
> account back to yours.
>
> Suggest you and your brother have separate computers...
>
> Bill

And assign passwords on his computer *without* telling the bro!

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
mike159

Re: All files gone from my user account!!!

Will try that. It should work. Good idea about the computers. Issue is
we do have two but this one is faster, thus he uses it more, but this is
the first time he ever messed up any of my files. *******, no jk, I was
pissed at first.

Also, when you say to move the files, i can just copy all of them and
past it cant I? It is looking at my desktop from his user account. I
dont understand why then when I log in it would be so different. When I
log into mine it looks like the user account is a new account, even put
the widgets back, but there was some old stuff in the recycle bin.
Weird.

--
mike159
mike159

Re: All files gone from my user account!!!

I found another piece to the puzzle. He told me that he changed the name
of the folder in the MyComputer/Users file group. So he changed my users
file to something else. I also found out that now when I log in, it
gives me the profile for the TEMP "user", so my question would be if
there is a way to get this all changed back. I have thought of going to
the TEMP file and changing it to my original folders name but dont know
if that would do anything, or if it would mess up my files. So its
almost like my file "A" got switched with the TEMP file, and now when I
log into my old user account, I get loged into the TEMP, so is there a
way to turn them back the way they were?

--
mike159
Bill Sharpe

mike159 wrote:
> I found another piece to the puzzle. He told me that he changed the name
> of the folder in the MyComputer/Users file group. So he changed my users
> file to something else. I also found out that now when I log in, it
> gives me the profile for the TEMP "user", so my question would be if
> there is a way to get this all changed back. I have thought of going to
> the TEMP file and changing it to my original folders name but dont know
> if that would do anything, or if it would mess up my files. So its
> almost like my file "A" got switched with the TEMP file, and now when I
> log into my old user account, I get loged into the TEMP, so is there a
> way to turn them back the way they were?

It appears that your files are already messed up. I presume your brother
can't remember exactly what he did, so it's probably impossible to get
everything back exactly the way it was.

Looks more and more like two computers is the solution! Put yours in a
separate room with a locked door and don't let your brother have the key.

Bill

mike159

Re: All files gone from my user account!!!

I got it all fixed. The thing was he changed the file name directly
through MyComputer/Users and that messed up my user name when I logged
in. I rememer he told me he changed it, so I went back and re-did his
change and reversed the file back to how it was. The issue still
persisted though. So I finally thought about going into user management
through control panel and renaming my main username to something else,
then change it back to what it was, and that did it. Its back to how it
was and all of the files are still there.

--
mike159