Running in elevated mode

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

webster72n

Running in elevated mode
How do I go about running in an 'elevated mode' in Vista Home Premium?
I am being told not to have enough priveliges, although I have chosen
'administrator'.
The question arises when going into 'command prompt'.

Harry.

Danny Sanders

Re: Running in elevated mode
Right click command and select run as administrator.

hth
DDS

"webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I go about running in an 'elevated mode' in Vista Home Premium?
> I am being told not to have enough priveliges, although I have chosen
> 'administrator'.
> The question arises when going into 'command prompt'.
>
> Harry.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Running in elevated mode
For the command prompt click Start and then type 'cmd' into the search box.
When the command application appears at the top of the start window, right
click on it and, from the drop down menu, select 'run as administrator' This
will give you the elevated mode you require.

The same applies with any other application that you need elevated mode
with, just right click on the application file or shortcut and click on 'run
as administrator.'

--
John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I go about running in an 'elevated mode' in Vista Home Premium?
> I am being told not to have enough priveliges, although I have chosen
> 'administrator'.
> The question arises when going into 'command prompt'.
>
> Harry.

webster72n

Re: Running in elevated mode

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> For the command prompt click Start and then type 'cmd' into the search
> box. When the command application appears at the top of the start window,
> right click on it and, from the drop down menu, select 'run as
> administrator' This will give you the elevated mode you require.
>
> The same applies with any other application that you need elevated mode
> with, just right click on the application file or shortcut and click on
> 'run as administrator.'

That was easy, thank you, John.
While we're here, can you give me some of the most common commands as they
were in previous Windows OS's, i.e. 'Fdisk C:' or the like, or tell me were
to find them?

> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>

> "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> How do I go about running in an 'elevated mode' in Vista Home Premium?
>> I am being told not to have enough priveliges, although I have chosen
>> 'administrator'.
>> The question arises when going into 'command prompt'.
>>
>> Harry.

Kerry Brown

Re: Running in elevated mode
FDISK hasn't been available since Windows Me.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...u=command+line

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> For the command prompt click Start and then type 'cmd' into the search
>> box. When the command application appears at the top of the start
>> window, right click on it and, from the drop down menu, select 'run as
>> administrator' This will give you the elevated mode you require.
>>
>> The same applies with any other application that you need elevated mode
>> with, just right click on the application file or shortcut and click on
>> 'run as administrator.'

> That was easy, thank you, John.
> While we're here, can you give me some of the most common commands as they
> were in previous Windows OS's, i.e. 'Fdisk C:' or the like, or tell me
> were to find them?
>

>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Windows XP Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this mail/post..
>>

>> "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I go about running in an 'elevated mode' in Vista Home Premium?
>>> I am being told not to have enough priveliges, although I have chosen
>>> 'administrator'.
>>> The question arises when going into 'command prompt'.
>>>
>>> Harry.

webster72n

Re: Running in elevated mode

> FDISK hasn't been available since Windows Me.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...u=command+line

You have been very helpful, thank you, Kerry.
Now I have clear sailing.

Harry.

> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> For the command prompt click Start and then type 'cmd' into the search
>>> box. When the command application appears at the top of the start
>>> window, right click on it and, from the drop down menu, select 'run as
>>> administrator' This will give you the elevated mode you require.
>>>
>>> The same applies with any other application that you need elevated mode
>>> with, just right click on the application file or shortcut and click on
>>> 'run as administrator.'

>> That was easy, thank you, John.
>> While we're here, can you give me some of the most common commands as
>> they were in previous Windows OS's, i.e. 'Fdisk C:' or the like, or tell
>> me were to find them?
>>

>>> --
>>> John Barnett MVP
>>> Windows XP Associate Expert
>>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>>
>>> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
>>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
>>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>>>

>>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
>>> any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
>>> accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not
>>> be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
>>> arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions
>>> expressed in this mail/post..

John Barnett MVP

Re: Running in elevated mode
Fdisk hasn't been around for a while now, so that option isn't even
available.

If you want to know what command are available then open the command prompt
and type: 'help' (without the quotes). A list of available commands will
appear. To see more on a specific command type 'help' (without the quotes)
followed by the specific command name, i.e., 'help xcopy' (again without the
quotes)

> Fdisk hasn't been around for a while now, so that option isn't even
> available.
>
> If you want to know what command are available then open the command
> prompt and type: 'help' (without the quotes). A list of available commands
> will appear. To see more on a specific command type 'help' (without the
> quotes) followed by the specific command name, i.e., 'help xcopy' (again
> without the quotes)

I came from ME to Vista and wasn't familiar with the in-between changes,
John, therefore my ignorance. Thanks for letting me know.

> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Windows XP Associate Expert
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>

> "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> For the command prompt click Start and then type 'cmd' into the search
>>> box. When the command application appears at the top of the start
>>> window, right click on it and, from the drop down menu, select 'run as
>>> administrator' This will give you the elevated mode you require.
>>>
>>> The same applies with any other application that you need elevated mode
>>> with, just right click on the application file or shortcut and click on
>>> 'run as administrator.'

>> That was easy, thank you, John.
>> While we're here, can you give me some of the most common commands as
>> they were in previous Windows OS's, i.e. 'Fdisk C:' or the like, or tell
>> me were to find them?
>>

>>> --
>>> John Barnett MVP
>>> Windows XP Associate Expert
>>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>>
>>> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
>>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
>>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
>>>

>>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
>>> any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
>>> accuracy, reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not
>>> be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages
>>> arising out of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions
>>> expressed in this mail/post..

John Barnett MVP

Re: Running in elevated mode
You're Welcome.

--

> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Fdisk hasn't been around for a while now, so that option isn't even
>> available.
>>
>> If you want to know what command are available then open the command
>> prompt and type: 'help' (without the quotes). A list of available
>> commands will appear. To see more on a specific command type 'help'
>> (without the quotes) followed by the specific command name, i.e., 'help
>> xcopy' (again without the quotes)

> I came from ME to Vista and wasn't familiar with the in-between changes,
> John, therefore my ignorance. Thanks for letting me know.
>

>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Windows XP Associate Expert
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
>> Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com
>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
>> this mail/post..
>>

>> "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> That was easy, thank you, John.
>>> While we're here, can you give me some of the most common commands as
>>> they were in previous Windows OS's, i.e. 'Fdisk C:' or the like, or tell
>>> me were to find them?

webster72n

Re: Running in elevated mode

"Danny Sanders" <dsandersNOSPAM@ciber.com> wrote in message
> Right click command and select run as administrator.

Thanks, maybe interesting to read "the rest of the story", a la Paul Harvey.

Harry.