User profile failing to load, but only occasionally

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Chris

User profile failing to load, but only occasionally
Twice over the last few weeks, upon booting my six-month old Vista PC, I
encountered the following error balloon in the system tray:

Your user profile was not loaded correctly!
You have been logged on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this
profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details
or contact your administrator.

As indicated, it was apparent to me that a temporary user profile was in
effect.

The PC is not a member of a domain.

The Application event log lists the following three events:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Date: 2/26/2009 10:25:51 AM
Event ID: 1502
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this
error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile.
DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process.

Date: 2/26/2009 10:25:51 AM
Event ID: 1515
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to
use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.

Date: 2/26/2009 10:25:51 AM
Event ID: 1511
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary
profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Both times, logging off and logging back on resulted in the proper user
profile being loaded--despite the worrisome event log message about the
profile possibly being corrupt.

I've rebooted numerous other times without experiencing this problem.

What is causing this error and why, now, after six-months of use? Is it
anything to be worried about? How can I resolve this problem? Thanks.

marwerno

RE: User profile failing to load, but only occasionally
Unfortunately, I cannot provide an answer, but only can confirm the same
problem on my Windows Home Server machine. Shut down and reboot "sometimes"
fixes it, but not always.
This article seem to take "partially" care of it, but does not really give a
valid explanation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812339

On my machine one time it was so bad, WHS created a new Adminsitrator
account (which is the only account that let's you access the machine!) and
basically reset all my data!
I only was able to put the HDD in another machine, and copy my "old"
Administrator account into the new Administrator account folder!
BTW: It is a new HDD and scandisk does not report any problems with the
disk. The S.M.A.R.T. values (as read out with Speedfan) do also not reveal
any clue about why it should happen!
Very annoying!
Brink

Re: User profile failing to load, but only occasionally

Hello Chris,

If you are still having problems with this, then this may be able to
help with this as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...ot-loaded.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn