Vista stops start up after loading bar

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

markus.mueller_frankfurt@yahoo.de

Vista stops start up after loading bar
Hello folks,

suddenly my Vista HP SP1 will no longer start up. Nothing was changed
in the system - it was correctly shut down yesterday.

The loading bar appears and the moment it disappears again (when
normally logon screen or desktop should appear) the system shows a
blank screen and the HDD stops working immediately. No more access,
HDD LED flickers no more.

Safe mode works fine! I thought that it is connected to the graphics
driver first but after removal of it in Safe Mode the system still
doesn't complete the start up process.

What I did afterwards was to use the complete set of tools from the
Vista Repair Center. Still not boot up after loading bar, still
harddisk stopping its work in the moment it should switch the screen
resolution and show the desktop.

What else could I do? I realized reading through other users post that
some report of still seeing their mouse cursor while the rest of their
screen is black or that the system continues accessing the harddisk
although they only see a black screen. Neither of it is the case here
- the system seems totally frozen, no cursor no further HDD access.

The good old repair installation was removed in Vista AFAIK. So only
re-installation of the OS possbile? Chkdsk didn't show any errors or
problems. System runs flawlessly in Safe Mode. Also tried to
deactivate anything via msconfig.exe in Safe Mode and then tried
starting up normally. VGA mode also doesn't work - nevertheless i am
convined that the problem isn't connected to the VGA card anyway. Also
tried replacing the RAM modules with other ones cause in 50 trys of
boot up i got 2-3 times a bluescreen / stop error 0x50 which seems to
indicate problems with RAM or HDD. Didn't help, RAM modules are ok,
HDD is ok (tested with chkdsk as mentioned and also with Seatools from
boot disk).

Tried system restore to several restore points - also the oldest one
that is still present. Nothing helped.

Could re-installation of SP1 in Safe Mode (if this is even possible)
correct errors?

Any hints?

Cheers MM