DOS commands in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=

DOS commands in Vista
I have a DOS based linker program that I use to combine a number of files
into a single file. In XP I could type the following at the DOS prompt
"link.exe & < file.inp". The "link.exe" is the linker program, "file.inp" is
a command file containing the list of files and commands to be included, the
"&" was a concatination command and the "<" indicated to pipe from. This
syntax does not work under VISTA.

Any ideas ?.
Rick Rogers

Re: DOS commands in Vista
Hi John,

Have you tried running an elevated command prompt?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>I have a DOS based linker program that I use to combine a number of files
> into a single file. In XP I could type the following at the DOS prompt
> "link.exe & < file.inp". The "link.exe" is the linker program, "file.inp"
> is
> a command file containing the list of files and commands to be included,
> the
> "&" was a concatination command and the "<" indicated to pipe from. This
> syntax does not work under VISTA.
>
> Any ideas ?.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=

Re: DOS commands in Vista
Hi Rick, oddly enough that made a difference and fixed one problem but
created another. I have a folder mapped as a drive letter through the SUBST
command. When I run the DOS box elevated the mapped drive is not visible.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Have you tried running an elevated command prompt?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a DOS based linker program that I use to combine a number of files
> > into a single file. In XP I could type the following at the DOS prompt
> > "link.exe & < file.inp". The "link.exe" is the linker program, "file.inp"
> > is
> > a command file containing the list of files and commands to be included,
> > the
> > "&" was a concatination command and the "<" indicated to pipe from. This
> > syntax does not work under VISTA.
> >
> > Any ideas ?.

Rick Rogers

Re: DOS commands in Vista
I don't know, John, haven't messed with SUBST in Vista. How are you trying
to display the mapped drive?

By the by, it's not a DOS box per se, but a command prompt. DOS box
intimates that you are accessing an underlying DOS layer of the OS, and none
such exists in an NT system. The CMD prompt is nothing more than a CLI in
real mode.

--

> Hi Rick, oddly enough that made a difference and fixed one problem but
> created another. I have a folder mapped as a drive letter through the
> SUBST
> command. When I run the DOS box elevated the mapped drive is not visible.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Have you tried running an elevated command prompt?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a DOS based linker program that I use to combine a number of
>> >files
>> > into a single file. In XP I could type the following at the DOS prompt
>> > "link.exe & < file.inp". The "link.exe" is the linker program,
>> > "file.inp"
>> > is
>> > a command file containing the list of files and commands to be
>> > included,
>> > the
>> > "&" was a concatination command and the "<" indicated to pipe from.
>> > This
>> > syntax does not work under VISTA.
>> >
>> > Any ideas ?.

Mark Rae

Re: DOS commands in Vista

> By the by, it's not a DOS box per se, but a command prompt. DOS box
> intimates that you are accessing an underlying DOS layer of the OS, and
> none such exists in an NT system. The CMD prompt is nothing more than a
> CLI in real mode.

Correct - lots and lots of people still make this mistake...

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=

Re: DOS commands in Vista
Hi Rick,Mark

You are absolutely right, smacked fingers for getting all the letters in the
wrong order here !!. I find the SUBST command very useful, when my desktop is
logged onto my network I have a shared drive on the server mapped to drive
'N' so on my laptop I SUBST a folder on the laptop to drive 'N' and
everything looks the same. I know i'm simple here but it keeps everything in
the same place and I don't have to remember where I put things. However put
10 people in from of 2 machines, one with a DOS box and the other with a CMD
prompt and write down the differances. I bet the list wont be very long.

I know it's all under the surface.

Getting back to my dilemma, it would appear after playing with Vista for a
short while that the issue of access priorities and right to things seams to
be a bit confused. Some things you can do, some thing you can't but it tells
you and then lets you do it. Others it doesn't tell you until you find it
doesn't work and gives you an error message that about as far away from
reality to confuse me totally.

"Mark Rae" wrote:

> > By the by, it's not a DOS box per se, but a command prompt. DOS box
> > intimates that you are accessing an underlying DOS layer of the OS, and
> > none such exists in an NT system. The CMD prompt is nothing more than a
> > CLI in real mode.

> Correct - lots and lots of people still make this mistake...

berni2k

Re: DOS commands in Vista

althought the problem is solved

for anyone who is interested there is a new powershell for vista
'Windows PowerShell : Windows PowerShell & Windows Vista'
(http://tinyurl.com/2bxxsb)

further info and download link under:
'Scripting with Windows PowerShell'
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr.../hubs/msh.mspx)