can't get to websites

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Veris and Amee Young

can't get to websites
Hope I type this in right area. Hi

I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my laptop
are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn messenger and
yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried rebooting router,
turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off laptop and restarted
it would start working till today. It has been over 8 hrs and nothing yet. I
have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can think of. I pinged my other
pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged yahoo.com and other sites and
the request times out. I have tried Firefox and IE. I run MacAfee. Any help
would be great. Thanks.

Veris and Amee Young

Re: can't get to websites
When I try to get to website this is what I am getting on Firefox.

HTTP/1.0 408 Request Time-out
Server: AkamaiGHost
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:57:12 GMT
Expires: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:57:12 GMT

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Request Timeout</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Request Timeout</H1>
The server timed out while waiting for the browser's request.<P>
Reference #2.1d6c1160.1234882632.0
</BODY></HTML>

also I have tried wireless and wired connection. Same thing.
"Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>
> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my laptop
> are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn messenger and
> yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried rebooting router,
> turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off laptop and restarted
> it would start working till today. It has been over 8 hrs and nothing yet.
> I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can think of. I pinged my
> other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged yahoo.com and other
> sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox and IE. I run
> MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

MacArthur

Re: can't get to websites
> When I try to get to website this is what I am getting on Firefox.
>
> HTTP/1.0 408 Request Time-out
> Server: AkamaiGHost
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:57:12 GMT
> Expires: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:57:12 GMT
>
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <TITLE>Request Timeout</TITLE>
> </HEAD><BODY>
> <H1>Request Timeout</H1>
> The server timed out while waiting for the browser's request.<P>
> Reference #2.1d6c1160.1234882632.0
> </BODY></HTML>
>
> also I have tried wireless and wired connection. Same thing.
> "Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>>
>> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
>> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
>> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my
>> laptop are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn
>> messenger and yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried
>> rebooting router, turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off
>> laptop and restarted it would start working till today. It has been over
>> 8 hrs and nothing yet. I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can
>> think of. I pinged my other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged
>> yahoo.com and other sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox
>> and IE. I run MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Have you tried URLs other than your regular homepage?

--
Live strong and have a nice day, - "Nil carborundum illegitimi"!
Mac H E L P the planet - Don't I D L E ! ! !

Bigguy

Re: can't get to websites
Veris and Amee Young wrote:
> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>
> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my
> laptop are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn
> messenger and yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried
> rebooting router, turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off
> laptop and restarted it would start working till today. It has been over
> 8 hrs and nothing yet. I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can
> think of. I pinged my other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I
> pinged yahoo.com and other sites and the request times out. I have tried
> Firefox and IE. I run MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Could be a winsock problem?

Is there a Winsockfix utility for Vista?

There is for XP... http://www.pchell.com/winsockxpfix/index.shtml

Guy
Veris and Amee Young

Re: can't get to websites
yes I did. Unfortunately no go.
"MacArthur" <MacArthuris@_Gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> When I try to get to website this is what I am getting on Firefox.
>>
>> HTTP/1.0 408 Request Time-out
>> Server: AkamaiGHost
>> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:57:12 GMT
>> Expires: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:57:12 GMT
>>
>> <HTML><HEAD>
>> <TITLE>Request Timeout</TITLE>
>> </HEAD><BODY>
>> <H1>Request Timeout</H1>
>> The server timed out while waiting for the browser's request.<P>
>> Reference #2.1d6c1160.1234882632.0
>> </BODY></HTML>
>>
>> also I have tried wireless and wired connection. Same thing.
>> "Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>>>
>>> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
>>> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
>>> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my
>>> laptop are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn
>>> messenger and yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried
>>> rebooting router, turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off
>>> laptop and restarted it would start working till today. It has been over
>>> 8 hrs and nothing yet. I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can
>>> think of. I pinged my other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I
>>> pinged yahoo.com and other sites and the request times out. I have tried
>>> Firefox and IE. I run MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.
>>>

> Have you tried URLs other than your regular homepage?
>

> --
> Live strong and have a nice day, - "Nil carborundum illegitimi"!
> Mac H E L P the planet - Don't I D L E ! ! !
> Over 1600 Links at Http://MacArthur.Funknstyle.Com
> Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/macarthur
> and http://www.flickr.com/photos/macarthur-ii/

Joe Grover

Re: can't get to websites
You could try the following command from the command prompt:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Try browsing again. If it still doesn't work, undo the change by typing:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

"Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>
> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my laptop
> are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn messenger and
> yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried rebooting router,
> turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off laptop and restarted
> it would start working till today. It has been over 8 hrs and nothing yet.
> I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can think of. I pinged my
> other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged yahoo.com and other
> sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox and IE. I run
> MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Veris and Amee Young

Re: can't get to websites
did that no luck. I am trying to talk to HP ppl right now see if they can
help. I called Comcast and all I got was generic computer telling me to
reset my modem. Grrrrr.

"Joe Grover" <grover.joe@acd.net> wrote in message
> You could try the following command from the command prompt:
>
> netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
>
> Try browsing again. If it still doesn't work, undo the change by typing:
>
> netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
>

> "Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>>
>> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
>> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
>> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my
>> laptop are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn
>> messenger and yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried
>> rebooting router, turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off
>> laptop and restarted it would start working till today. It has been over
>> 8 hrs and nothing yet. I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can
>> think of. I pinged my other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged
>> yahoo.com and other sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox
>> and IE. I run MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Peter Foldes

Re: can't get to websites
Wrong newsgroup

Post it to

--
Peter

"Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>
> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all connected
> thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started giving me trouble
> when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my laptop are Xp. Laptop is Vista.
> I can get email, I can run my msn messenger and yahoo messenger. I just can't get
> on websites. I tried rebooting router, turning off laptop. It used to work when I
> turned off laptop and restarted it would start working till today. It has been
> over 8 hrs and nothing yet. I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can think
> of. I pinged my other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged yahoo.com and
> other sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox and IE. I run MacAfee.
> Any help would be great. Thanks.

Tyro

Re: can't get to websites
Have you tried with your firewall turned off?

Tyro

"Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>
> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my laptop
> are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn messenger and
> yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried rebooting router,
> turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off laptop and restarted
> it would start working till today. It has been over 8 hrs and nothing yet.
> I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can think of. I pinged my
> other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged yahoo.com and other
> sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox and IE. I run
> MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

SUMO

Re: can't get to websites

"Veris and Amee Young" <verisyoung@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hope I type this in right area. Hi
>
> I have a wireless laptop. We also have 3 other desktop. They are all
> connected thru router. All the sudden couple weeks ago my laptop started
> giving me trouble when it was connected to internet. Btw All but my laptop
> are Xp. Laptop is Vista. I can get email, I can run my msn messenger and
> yahoo messenger. I just can't get on websites. I tried rebooting router,
> turning off laptop. It used to work when I turned off laptop and restarted
> it would start working till today. It has been over 8 hrs and nothing yet.
> I have renews Ipconfig. dns flush all that I can think of. I pinged my
> other pcs in house and it is pinging fine. I pinged yahoo.com and other
> sites and the request times out. I have tried Firefox and IE. I run
> MacAfee. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Hi I have a similar problem. According to some newsgroup posts it could be
a bug in Zonealarm. If you have it you have to uninstall it. I've got ZA
Pro and even if I disable it on startup it still lock me out of the
internet, but direct access, email etc is ok.