cannot login because no backslash available to me

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

-davidS-

cannot login because no backslash available to me
Here is my problem. I have a new Vista Biz installation and in the
initial setup phase, I selected UK Eng instead of US Eng . I logged in
with the default user to the local machine and it seemed ok.

Then I joined the machine to the company AD Domain with no problem. I
soon realised that the keyboard was a US keyboard so I went into the
regional and language settings and changed the keyboard to US.

When I try to login to the local machine again in order to make
changes which I cannot do to the machine in the domain, I am unable to
get the backslash \ to work.
Therefore it is impossible for me to type mynewcomputer-pc\my name
and therefore I am I locked out of the local machine.
I've tried every possible key combination and I cannot get the
backslash key.
I cannot change the default locale ( which I notice is still in Eng
even though I changed the keyboard to US ) as the local security
policies on the domain forbid it.
No problem with backslash when the machine is logged into the domain
but as soon as I logout of the domain and get the CTRL + Alt + Del box
then the backslash is no longer available.
Dusko Savatovic

Re: cannot login because no backslash available to me
Try an old trick.

Turn on "Num Lock"
Type Alt 92
92 must be typed on numerical pad.
This wil give you "\".

On Feb 10, 3:36*pm, "Dusko Savatovic" <nospam.savato...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Try an old trick.
>
> Turn on "Num Lock"
> Type Alt 92
> 92 must be typed on numerical pad.
> This wil give you "\".

Very good !
Thank you!
Questor

Re: cannot login because no backslash available to me
--->
> Here is my problem. I have a new Vista Biz installation and in the
> initial setup phase, I selected UK Eng instead of US Eng . I logged in
> with the default user to the local machine and it seemed ok.
>
> Then I joined the machine to the company AD Domain with no problem. I
> soon realised that the keyboard was a US keyboard so I went into the
> regional and language settings and changed the keyboard to US.
>
> When I try to login to the local machine again in order to make
> changes which I cannot do to the machine in the domain, I am unable to
> get the backslash \ to work.
> Therefore it is impossible for me to type mynewcomputer-pc\my name
> and therefore I am I locked out of the local machine.
> I've tried every possible key combination and I cannot get the
> backslash key.
> I cannot change the default locale ( which I notice is still in Eng
> even though I changed the keyboard to US ) as the local security
> policies on the domain forbid it.
> No problem with backslash when the machine is logged into the domain
> but as soon as I logout of the domain and get the CTRL + Alt + Del box
> then the backslash is no longer available.

Can you hold down the Alt key and type "92" on the keypad? That will
also give you the back-slash.

Questor
Questor

Re: cannot login because no backslash available to me
--->
> --->
>> Here is my problem. I have a new Vista Biz installation and in the
>> initial setup phase, I selected UK Eng instead of US Eng . I logged in
>> with the default user to the local machine and it seemed ok.
>>
>> Then I joined the machine to the company AD Domain with no problem. I
>> soon realised that the keyboard was a US keyboard so I went into the
>> regional and language settings and changed the keyboard to US.
>>
>> When I try to login to the local machine again in order to make
>> changes which I cannot do to the machine in the domain, I am unable to
>> get the backslash \ to work.
>> Therefore it is impossible for me to type mynewcomputer-pc\my name
>> and therefore I am I locked out of the local machine.
>> I've tried every possible key combination and I cannot get the
>> backslash key.
>> I cannot change the default locale ( which I notice is still in Eng
>> even though I changed the keyboard to US ) as the local security
>> policies on the domain forbid it.
>> No problem with backslash when the machine is logged into the domain
>> but as soon as I logout of the domain and get the CTRL + Alt + Del box
>> then the backslash is no longer available.

> Can you hold down the Alt key and type "92" on the keypad? That will
> also give you the back-slash.
>
> Questor

Apologies to everyone. Sometimes my NG reader refreshes strangely.

Questor