Vista Missing (or Not Working) Shortcuts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

veegish

Vista Missing (or Not Working) Shortcuts

-I have read every post about this subject, and am no closer to a
solution. I have lost all the shortcuts (well, there are a random five
or six) from my start menu. I am running Vista 32 bit Home Premium. I
assume some program stole them when I uninstalled it. I have found
numerous ways to restore the defaults through this forum site, but they
have not worked. The shortcuts then appear, but they don't do anything
when I click on them. This problem extends to things such as the
calculator in the accessories folder and all my personally installed
program folders are gone from the start menu as well. Even when I put a
new folder and shortcut in the proper place, it still won't do anything
when I click them, and all the restored shortcuts have a generic icon
that looks like a piece of paper. I don't have the option to sys
restore, and so I am wondering what you would suggest I do next. Would a
reinstall of Vista do anything? I have not ever done a Vista reinstall,
can you install "over the top" like in XP? I can manually reinstall or
rebuild the shortcuts for the non-stock programs, as there are not many
installed, but to go through the whole of the ones that came with Vista
is daunting, and doesn't seem to be working. Oh, I tried the download of
the single and all users shortcuts through a post on here, which is how
I got the non linking generic icon shortcuts to show up, but not work.-

-Thanks in advance for any help I get!-

-Zak-

--
veegish
Brink

Re: Vista Missing (or Not Working) Shortcuts

veegish;944250 Wrote:
> -I have read every post about this subject, and am no closer to a
> solution. I have lost all the shortcuts (well, there are a random five
> or six) from my start menu. I am running Vista 32 bit Home Premium. I
> assume some program stole them when I uninstalled it. I have found
> numerous ways to restore the defaults through this forum site, but they
> have not worked. The shortcuts then appear, but they don't do anything
> when I click on them. This problem extends to things such as the
> calculator in the accessories folder and all my personally installed
> program folders are gone from the start menu as well. Even when I put a
> new folder and shortcut in the proper place, it still won't do anything
> when I click them, and all the restored shortcuts have a generic icon
> that looks like a piece of paper. I don't have the option to sys
> restore, and so I am wondering what you would suggest I do next. Would a
> reinstall of Vista do anything? I have not ever done a Vista reinstall,
> can you install "over the top" like in XP? I can manually reinstall or
> rebuild the shortcuts for the non-stock programs, as there are not many
> installed, but to go through the whole of the ones that came with Vista
> is daunting, and doesn't seem to be working. Oh, I tried the download of
> the single and all users shortcuts through a post on here, which is how
> I got the non linking generic icon shortcuts to show up, but not work.-
>
> -Thanks in advance for any help I get!-
>
> -Zak-

Hello Zak,

Before doing a reinstall of Vista, see if when you create a new
administrator acount, if all of the Start Menu shortcuts will work for
you in that new account instead. If so, then all you will need to do is
to manually create new shortcuts for your programs from their .exe
files.

If not, then you might also try a System Restore using a restore point
dated before this problem to see if it may be able to fix it for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
veegish

Brink;944253 Wrote:
> > veegish;944250 Wrote:
> > -I have read every post about this subject, and am no closer to a
> > solution. I have lost all the shortcuts (well, there are a random five
> > or six) from my start menu. I am running Vista 32 bit Home Premium. I
> > assume some program stole them when I uninstalled it. I have found
> > numerous ways to restore the defaults through this forum site, but they
> > have not worked. The shortcuts then appear, but they don't do anything
> > when I click on them. This problem extends to things such as the
> > calculator in the accessories folder and all my personally installed
> > program folders are gone from the start menu as well. Even when I put a
> > new folder and shortcut in the proper place, it still won't do anything
> > when I click them, and all the restored shortcuts have a generic icon
> > that looks like a piece of paper. I don't have the option to sys
> > restore, and so I am wondering what you would suggest I do next. Would a
> > reinstall of Vista do anything? I have not ever done a Vista reinstall,
> > can you install "over the top" like in XP? I can manually reinstall or
> > rebuild the shortcuts for the non-stock programs, as there are not many
> > installed, but to go through the whole of the ones that came with Vista
> > is daunting, and doesn't seem to be working. Oh, I tried the download of
> > the single and all users shortcuts through a post on here, which is how
> > I got the non linking generic icon shortcuts to show up, but not work.-
> >
> > -Thanks in advance for any help I get!-
> >
> > -Zak-> >

> Hello Zak,
>
> Before doing a reinstall of Vista, see if when you create a new
> administrator acount, if all of the Start Menu shortcuts will work for
> you in that new account instead. If so, then all you will need to do
> is to manually create new shortcuts for your programs from their .exe
> files.
>
> If not, then you might also try a System Restore using a restore
> point dated before this problem to see if it may be able to fix it for
> you.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn

Adding an admin account did not help, the start menu appeared the same.
Also, no system restore, it was turned off! (not my computer, by the
way)

veegish;944255 Wrote:
> > > -I have read every post about this subject, and am no closer to a
> > > solution. I have lost all the shortcuts (well, there are a random five
> > > or six) from my start menu. I am running Vista 32 bit Home Premium. I
> > > assume some program stole them when I uninstalled it. I have found
> > > numerous ways to restore the defaults through this forum site, but they
> > > have not worked. The shortcuts then appear, but they don't do anything
> > > when I click on them. This problem extends to things such as the
> > > calculator in the accessories folder and all my personally installed
> > > program folders are gone from the start menu as well. Even when I put a
> > > new folder and shortcut in the proper place, it still won't do anything
> > > when I click them, and all the restored shortcuts have a generic icon
> > > that looks like a piece of paper. I don't have the option to sys
> > > restore, and so I am wondering what you would suggest I do next. Would a
> > > reinstall of Vista do anything? I have not ever done a Vista reinstall,
> > > can you install "over the top" like in XP? I can manually reinstall or
> > > rebuild the shortcuts for the non-stock programs, as there are not many
> > > installed, but to go through the whole of the ones that came with Vista
> > > is daunting, and doesn't seem to be working. Oh, I tried the download of
> > > the single and all users shortcuts through a post on here, which is how
> > > I got the non linking generic icon shortcuts to show up, but not work.-
> > >
> > > -Thanks in advance for any help I get!-
> > >
> > > -Zak-> > > >

> > Hello Zak,
> >
> > Before doing a reinstall of Vista, see if when you create a new
> > administrator acount, if all of the Start Menu shortcuts will work
> > for you in that new account instead. If so, then all you will need
> > to do is to manually create new shortcuts for your programs from
> > their .exe files.
> >
> > If not, then you might also try a System Restore using a restore
> > point dated before this problem to see if it may be able to fix it
> > for you.
> >
> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Shawn> >

> Adding an admin account did not help, the start menu appeared the
> same. Also, no system restore, it was turned off! (not my computer, by
> the way)

You could try to do a repair (upgrade) install to see if you can avoid
a complete reinstall.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mick Murphy

Re: Vista Missing (or Not Working) Shortcuts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Try using the System File Checker to fix corrupted files in Vista.
And Vista does not have the repair install that XP has.
--
Mad Mike

"veegish" wrote:

> Brink;944253 Wrote:
> > > veegish;944250 Wrote:
> > > -I have read every post about this subject, and am no closer to a
> > > solution. I have lost all the shortcuts (well, there are a random five
> > > or six) from my start menu. I am running Vista 32 bit Home Premium. I
> > > assume some program stole them when I uninstalled it. I have found
> > > numerous ways to restore the defaults through this forum site, but they
> > > have not worked. The shortcuts then appear, but they don't do anything
> > > when I click on them. This problem extends to things such as the
> > > calculator in the accessories folder and all my personally installed
> > > program folders are gone from the start menu as well. Even when I put a
> > > new folder and shortcut in the proper place, it still won't do anything
> > > when I click them, and all the restored shortcuts have a generic icon
> > > that looks like a piece of paper. I don't have the option to sys
> > > restore, and so I am wondering what you would suggest I do next. Would a
> > > reinstall of Vista do anything? I have not ever done a Vista reinstall,
> > > can you install "over the top" like in XP? I can manually reinstall or
> > > rebuild the shortcuts for the non-stock programs, as there are not many
> > > installed, but to go through the whole of the ones that came with Vista
> > > is daunting, and doesn't seem to be working. Oh, I tried the download of
> > > the single and all users shortcuts through a post on here, which is how
> > > I got the non linking generic icon shortcuts to show up, but not work.-
> > >
> > > -Thanks in advance for any help I get!-
> > >
> > > -Zak-> >

> > Hello Zak,
> >
> > Before doing a reinstall of Vista, see if when you create a new
> > administrator acount, if all of the Start Menu shortcuts will work for
> > you in that new account instead. If so, then all you will need to do
> > is to manually create new shortcuts for your programs from their .exe
> > files.
> >
> > If not, then you might also try a System Restore using a restore
> > point dated before this problem to see if it may be able to fix it for
> > you.
> >
> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Shawn

> Adding an admin account did not help, the start menu appeared the same.
> Also, no system restore, it was turned off! (not my computer, by the
> way)
>

> --
> veegish

menotyoutoo

Re: Vista Missing (or Not Working) Shortcuts

Why not just browse to the actual programs you want to create a shortcut
to and rebuild the menu - it may take a while - but so will reinstalling
everything.

--
menotyoutoo