BOOTMGR is missing

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

iz0nlee

BOOTMGR is missing
I get the above message on booting an HP 530 loaded with vista basic. It
belongs to the guy next door, he pulled a pendrive without releasing it in
software and off it went.
I have tried the recovery program booting from the HP vista disk provided
and also a vista boot disk downloaded from a help site with the same result,
no operating system is found and it does not find the C: drive.
I tried bootrec/fixboot and that said it was fixed but it still wouldnt boot
into vista giving the same message:
BOOTMGR is missing
press ctrl alt delete to restart
I am thinking about formatting the drive NTFS with an old XP disk and then a
clean install of vista onto the c:\ drive. Is this feasible?
Any other options?

TIA
DB

iz0nlee

Re: BOOTMGR is missing additional info
If I click 'load drivers' it gives me anm explorer interface in which i can
naigate to the c:\ drive so it IS there. It has two windows folders, one
tagged as 'windows.old'. I tried renaming that one back to 'windows' and
tagging the other as old but this didnt work either.
Where exactly does the 'BOOTMGR' file go and how can i find and replace it
manually?
"iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I get the above message on booting an HP 530 loaded with vista basic. It
>belongs to the guy next door, he pulled a pendrive without releasing it in
>software and off it went.
> I have tried the recovery program booting from the HP vista disk provided
> and also a vista boot disk downloaded from a help site with the same
> result, no operating system is found and it does not find the C: drive.
> I tried bootrec/fixboot and that said it was fixed but it still wouldnt
> boot into vista giving the same message:
> BOOTMGR is missing
> press ctrl alt delete to restart
> I am thinking about formatting the drive NTFS with an old XP disk and then
> a clean install of vista onto the c:\ drive. Is this feasible?
> Any other options?
>
> TIA
> DB

Brink

Re: BOOTMGR is missing

Iz0nlee,

You might see if running a Startup Repair can allow it to fix the boot
file for you automatically.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91...up-repair.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dave-UK

"iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:#2YB8QWeJHA.3856@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> If I click 'load drivers' it gives me anm explorer interface in which i can
> naigate to the c:\ drive so it IS there. It has two windows folders, one
> tagged as 'windows.old'. I tried renaming that one back to 'windows' and
> tagging the other as old but this didnt work either.
> Where exactly does the 'BOOTMGR' file go and how can i find and replace it
> manually?

My bootmgr is in the root of the C: drive.
It's marked as read only and hidden and it's 325 k/b.

keepout@yahoo.com.invalid

Re: BOOTMGR is missing
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:55:00 -0000, "iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I get the above message on booting an HP 530 loaded with vista basic. It
>belongs to the guy next door, he pulled a pendrive without releasing it in
>software and off it went.
>I have tried the recovery program booting from the HP vista disk provided
>and also a vista boot disk downloaded from a help site with the same result,
>no operating system is found and it does not find the C: drive.
>I tried bootrec/fixboot and that said it was fixed but it still wouldnt boot
>into vista giving the same message:
>BOOTMGR is missing
>press ctrl alt delete to restart
>I am thinking about formatting the drive NTFS with an old XP disk and then a
>clean install of vista onto the c:\ drive. Is this feasible?
>Any other options?
>
>TIA
>DB

yeah, reset the OS defaults with a reboot & F10, make sure C: is the boot
drive, then save, exit and back in business.

Happens some times with nasty software or hardware installs.
This is a COMMON problem. I can't believe I'm the 1st with the suggestion.
Andy

Re: BOOTMGR is missing
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:55:00 -0000, "iz0nlee"
<iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I get the above message on booting an HP 530 loaded with vista basic. It
>belongs to the guy next door, he pulled a pendrive without releasing it in
>software and off it went.
>I have tried the recovery program booting from the HP vista disk provided
>and also a vista boot disk downloaded from a help site with the same result,
>no operating system is found and it does not find the C: drive.
>I tried bootrec/fixboot and that said it was fixed but it still wouldnt boot
>into vista giving the same message:
>BOOTMGR is missing

Have you actually verified that bootmgr is missing from the System
partition?
dir /ah

>press ctrl alt delete to restart
>I am thinking about formatting the drive NTFS with an old XP disk and then a
>clean install of vista onto the c:\ drive. Is this feasible?
>Any other options?
>
>TIA
>DB

dinesh

Re: BOOTMGR is missing

See here:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/20...-missing.html;)

--
dinesh

Hope that works ! ! !
Dinesh.
keepout@yahoo.com.invalid

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:21:14 -0000, "Dave-UK" <here@home.com> wrote:

>"iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:#2YB8QWeJHA.3856@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> If I click 'load drivers' it gives me anm explorer interface in which i can
>> naigate to the c:\ drive so it IS there. It has two windows folders, one
>> tagged as 'windows.old'. I tried renaming that one back to 'windows' and
>> tagging the other as old but this didnt work either.
>> Where exactly does the 'BOOTMGR' file go and how can i find and replace it
>> manually?
>>

>My bootmgr is in the root of the C: drive.
>It's marked as read only and hidden and it's 325 k/b.

did you try

<keepout@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:4ub9n41451leg9ust2tftj7bf9uabsqkd0@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:21:14 -0000, "Dave-UK" <here@home.com> wrote:
>>"iz0nlee" <iz0nlee@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:#2YB8QWeJHA.3856@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> If I click 'load drivers' it gives me anm explorer interface in which i can
>>> naigate to the c:\ drive so it IS there. It has two windows folders, one
>>> tagged as 'windows.old'. I tried renaming that one back to 'windows' and
>>> tagging the other as old but this didnt work either.
>>> Where exactly does the 'BOOTMGR' file go and how can i find and replace it
>>> manually?
>>>

>>My bootmgr is in the root of the C: drive.
>>It's marked as read only and hidden and it's 325 k/b.
>>

> did you try
> reset the OS defaults with a reboot & F10, make sure C: is the boot
> drive, then save, exit and back in business ?

No I didn't, but then I am not the one with the problem.

chromedome801

Re: BOOTMGR is missing

Ok, here is the deal... I have tried everything in the world to get
this thing (my laptop) working again. It is giving me the BOOTMGR is
missing error. I cannot get to the gmd promt, i cannot get to the
repair screen, this is all it is giving me. I can get the bios and
setup menues, but there is nothing in there that helps me. CAN ANYONE

--
chromedome801
chromedome801's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/168469.htm

http://forums.techarena.in