Difference Between Retail and OEM

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

amboyangler is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Difference Between Retail and OEM
Can someone please explain the actual difference between Retail and OEM versions of Operating Systems? I am planning on purchasing Vista Ultimate and the OEM is much cheaper than the Retail one.
Barb

Re: Difference Between Retail and OEM
OEM version = you can only install on one pc for life of pc.
Retail = you can install on 2 computers

"amboyangler" <amboyangler.3m2yfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:amboyangler.3m2yfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Can someone please explain the actual difference between Retail and OEM
> versions of Operating Systems? I am planning on purchasing Vista
> Ultimate and the OEM is much cheaper than the Retail one.
>

> --
> amboyangler

Alias

amboyangler wrote:
> Can someone please explain the actual difference between Retail and OEM
> versions of Operating Systems? I am planning on purchasing Vista
> Ultimate and the OEM is much cheaper than the Retail one.

The Royal Court of Redmond deems that you may move your Vista Retail to
another computer with the only caveat is that you may have to call India
for final approval.

The Royal Court of Redmond deems that you may NOT move your generic copy
of Vista to another computer and if that computer should die, your paid
for copy of Vista dies with it, although there are, of course, technical
work-a-rounds.

The Peoples Court of Ubuntu deems you can do anything your little heart
pleases to do with it and provides abundant sources for on line support.
Not only that, they won't charge you one red penny for it and will even
pay for the CD to be shipped to you. Check it out at www.ubuntu.com

Alias
Dave

Re: Difference Between Retail and OEM
Retail = Microsoft support
OEM = OEM installer (you) supports it

"amboyangler" <amboyangler.3m2yfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:amboyangler.3m2yfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Can someone please explain the actual difference between Retail and OEM
> versions of Operating Systems? I am planning on purchasing Vista
> Ultimate and the OEM is much cheaper than the Retail one.
>

> --
> amboyangler

Alias

Barb wrote:
> OEM version = you can only install on one pc for life of pc.

You mean "may".

> Retail = you can install on 2 computers

No, only one and, again, "may". If the computer dies or you want to put
XP, Ubuntu or something else on it, you *may* move Vista to only one
other computer. Ain't licensing grand?

Alias

> "amboyangler" <amboyangler.3m2yfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:amboyangler.3m2yfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>> Can someone please explain the actual difference between Retail and OEM
>> versions of Operating Systems? I am planning on purchasing Vista
>> Ultimate and the OEM is much cheaper than the Retail one.
>>

>> --
>> amboyangler

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Difference Between Retail and OEM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:05:13 +0000, amboyangler
<amboyangler.3m2yfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> Can someone please explain the actual difference between Retail and OEM
> versions of Operating Systems? I am planning on purchasing Vista
> Ultimate and the OEM is much cheaper than the Retail one.

Although if you get a complete generic OEM version, it contains the
same software as the retail version, it has the following
disadvantages as compared with the retail version:

1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer, sold,
or given away (except with the original computer).

2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.

3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call them
with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support from your
OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and non-existent. Or
you can get support elsewhere, such as in these newsgroups.

Especially because of point 1 above, I almost always recommend against
OEM versions. It's better to buy a retail Upgrade version (even if it
costs slightly more) and do a clean installation with it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Difference Between Retail and OEM
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:38:12 -0500, "Barb" <brusse01@comcast.net>
wrote:

> OEM version = you can only install on one pc for life of pc.

That's correct. It may never be moved to another PC.

> Retail = you can install on 2 computers

Sorry, that's *not* correct. No version, neither Retail nor OEM, may
be simultaneously installed on two computers.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
B.Smith

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 01:43:25 +0100, Alias wrote:

> The Peoples Court of Ubuntu deems you can do anything your little heart
> pleases to do with it and provides abundant sources for on line support.
> Not only that, they won't charge you one red penny for it and will even
> pay for the CD to be shipped to you. Check it out at www.ubuntu.com

Of course you can install it on multiple PC's.
It's FREE.

Root thru any dumpster, you can find at least a hundred ubuntu CD's.

10 millions users my foot!

9 million were botched downloads by you.

Bruce Chambers

amboyangler wrote:
> Can someone please explain the actual difference between Retail and OEM
> versions of Operating Systems? I am planning on purchasing Vista
> Ultimate and the OEM is much cheaper than the Retail one.

There are some very important reasons that an OEM license costs so
much less than a retail license. OEM licenses are very limited:

1) OEM versions must be sold with a piece of non-peripheral
hardware (normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC) and
are _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An
OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another
computer under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people
avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even
stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC. The only
legitimate way to transfer the ownership of an OEM license is to
transfer ownership of the entire PC.

2) Microsoft provides no free support for OEM versions. If you
have any problems that require outside assistance, your only recourse is
to contact the manufacturer/builder of the PC or the vendor of the OEM
license. This would include such issues as lost a Product Key or
replacing damaged installation media. (Microsoft does make allowances
for those instances when you can prove that the OEM has gone out of
business.) This doesn't mean that you can't download patches and
service packs from Microsoft -- just no free telephone or email support
for problems with the OS.

3) An OEM DVD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an earlier
OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an empty hard drive.

4) If the OEM DVD was designed by a specific manufacturer, such as
eMachines, Sony, Dell, Gateway, etc., it will most likely only install
on the same brand of PC, as an additional anti-piracy feature. Further,
such DVDs are severely customized to contain only the minimum of device
drivers, and a lot of extra nonsense, that the manufacturer feels
necessary for the specific model of PC for which the DVD was designed.
To be honest, such DVDs should _not_ be available on the open market;
but, if you're shopping someplace on-line like eBay, swap meets, or
computer fairs, there's often no telling what you're buying until it's
too late. The "generic" OEM DVDs, such as are manufactured by Microsoft
and sold to small systems builders, don't have this particular problem,
though, and are pretty much the same as their retail counterparts, apart
from the licensing, support, and upgrading restrictions.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Bruce Chambers

Barb wrote:
> OEM version = you can only install on one pc for life of pc.

Correct.

> Retail = you can install on 2 computers

Utterly wrong.

You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one Vista license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which Vista
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows (up until
WinXP, that is) is that Microsoft has added a copy protection and
anti-theft mechanism, Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make
more difficult) multiple installations using a single license.