Merging 2 Partitions Into One?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

amboyangler is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merging 2 Partitions Into One?
Is there a way to merge 2 partitions into 1? For example, I have a drive that I have split into 2 partitions and now want to merge them so that everything is in the same drive letter. The reason for this is because I just bought a new drive that I will be using for my music, files, videos and such. I will be copying everything from my secondary partition from the first drive into the new drive and I want to merge the original 2 partitions because I am running low on disk space on the C drive. Makes sense I hope.
Patrick Keenan

Re: Merging 2 Partitions Into One?
"amboyangler" <amboyangler.3m13s8@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:amboyangler.3m13s8@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Is there a way to merge 2 partitions into 1? For example, I have a drive
> that I have split into 2 partitions and now want to merge them so that
> everything is in the same drive letter. The reason for this is because I
> just bought a new drive that I will be using for my music, files, videos
> and such. I will be copying everything from my secondary partition from
> the first drive into the new drive and I want to merge the original 2
> partitions because I am running low on disk space on the C drive. Makes
> sense I hope.

Vista does allow two basic partitions to be merged - sort of - but *only* if
they are physically adjacent (contiguous) on the disk. If your system has
a "recover" or utility partition, your other two partitions may not be
contiguous.

You delete that second partition, and expand the first one to do the
"merge". But if there is another partition in the way, you won't be able
to do this.
http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/...-windows-vista

HTH
-pk

> --
> amboyangler

Dave

Re: Merging 2 Partitions Into One?
Yes you can.
Move all files off the partition you want to lose, delete that partition,
extend the other partition.

Vista's Disk Management can delete the one partition, and may be able to
extends the other, if the free space follows it. If the free space is in
front of the partition you wish to extend, then you will have to use another
program, like Bootit NG, GPartEd, Acronis Disk Director, etc.

http://www.vistatips.us/Vista_1.htm#...in dows_Vista

"amboyangler" <amboyangler.3m13s8@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:amboyangler.3m13s8@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Is there a way to merge 2 partitions into 1? For example, I have a drive
> that I have split into 2 partitions and now want to merge them so that
> everything is in the same drive letter. The reason for this is because I
> just bought a new drive that I will be using for my music, files, videos
> and such. I will be copying everything from my secondary partition from
> the first drive into the new drive and I want to merge the original 2
> partitions because I am running low on disk space on the C drive. Makes
> sense I hope.
>

> --
> amboyangler

amboyangler is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Merging 2 Partitions Into One?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Keenan View Post
"amboyangler" <amboyangler.3m13s8@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:amboyangler.3m13s8@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Is there a way to merge 2 partitions into 1? For example, I have a drive
> that I have split into 2 partitions and now want to merge them so that
> everything is in the same drive letter. The reason for this is because I
> just bought a new drive that I will be using for my music, files, videos
> and such. I will be copying everything from my secondary partition from
> the first drive into the new drive and I want to merge the original 2
> partitions because I am running low on disk space on the C drive. Makes
> sense I hope.

Vista does allow two basic partitions to be merged - sort of - but *only* if
they are physically adjacent (contiguous) on the disk. If your system has
a "recover" or utility partition, your other two partitions may not be
contiguous.

You delete that second partition, and expand the first one to do the
"merge". But if there is another partition in the way, you won't be able
to do this.
How to resize a partition in Windows Vista | Vista Rewired

HTH
-pk

> --
> amboyangler

wow man thanks... this is very useful information.. thanks.. was this possible in previous operating systems? even the computer techy guys at my job were not aware that you could do this.... before I posted on here, they told me you couldnt do it but I posted it on here anyway because I thought it was a LOGICAL concept... no pun intended

amboyangler is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Merging 2 Partitions Into One?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amboyangler View Post

"amboyangler" <amboyangler.3m16ka@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:amboyangler.3m16ka@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> amboyangler;1136013 Wrote:
>> Is there a way to merge 2 partitions into 1? For example, I have a drive
>> that I have split into 2 partitions and now want to merge them so that
>> everything is in the same drive letter. The reason for this is because I
>> just bought a new drive that I will be using for my music, files, videos
>> and such. I will be copying everything from my secondary partition from
>> the first drive into the new drive and I want to merge the original 2
>> partitions because I am running low on disk space on the C drive. Makes
>> sense I hope.

> wow man thanks... this is very useful information.. thanks.. was this
> possible in previous operating systems? even the computer techy guys at
> my job were not aware that you could do this.... before I posted on
> here, they told me you couldnt do it but I posted it on here anyway
> because I thought it was a LOGICAL concept... no pun intended

This has possible for quite some time with 3rd party tools (such as
Partition Magic), but Vista is the first Windows version to include any form
of this. Previously, the Windows tools limited you to deleting and
creating partitions, not extending them once they existed.

HTH
-pk