"Invalid character" in activation attempt?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jim Vaught

"Invalid character" in activation attempt?
MS certainly makes it difficult to register!!! I bought a copy of Office
2007 Home and Student Edition today at a local Staples. I finally got it
installed and then went to activate it. I entered what I THINK is the
Product ID number. It is in the following general form:

xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx Xxx-xxxxx (the capital "X" is really the character
uppercase letter X)

When I first tried to enter the character (which appears to be the numeral
"1") in the second spot of the third field, I got an error message that this
was an invalid character. I backed out and tried again. This time I got the
same message when I tried to enter the first character (which looks like the
numeral "0") in the FIRST spot of the third field!!!

I did a search for help and am informed that the product ID number should be
in the following form: (these are NOT my number)

12345-xxx-765432198765 !!!!

Has anyone else had this problem?

terca novie

Re: "Invalid character" in activation attempt?
write it down on a notepad, double check it

then copy paste it, use the following keyboard shortucts to copy -paste

copy = ctrl + C

paste = ctrl + V

"Jim Vaught" <Jim Vaught@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS certainly makes it difficult to register!!! I bought a copy of Office
> 2007 Home and Student Edition today at a local Staples. I finally got it
> installed and then went to activate it. I entered what I THINK is the
> Product ID number. It is in the following general form:
>
> xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx Xxx-xxxxx (the capital "X" is really the character
> uppercase letter X)
>
> When I first tried to enter the character (which appears to be the numeral
> "1") in the second spot of the third field, I got an error message that
> this
> was an invalid character. I backed out and tried again. This time I got
> the
> same message when I tried to enter the first character (which looks like
> the
> numeral "0") in the FIRST spot of the third field!!!
>
> I did a search for help and am informed that the product ID number should
> be
> in the following form: (these are NOT my number)
>
> 12345-xxx-765432198765 !!!!
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

terca novie

Re: "Invalid character" in activation attempt?
also make sure you are typing in the correct language (enlgish)

"Jim Vaught" <Jim Vaught@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS certainly makes it difficult to register!!! I bought a copy of Office
> 2007 Home and Student Edition today at a local Staples. I finally got it
> installed and then went to activate it. I entered what I THINK is the
> Product ID number. It is in the following general form:
>
> xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx Xxx-xxxxx (the capital "X" is really the character
> uppercase letter X)
>
> When I first tried to enter the character (which appears to be the numeral
> "1") in the second spot of the third field, I got an error message that
> this
> was an invalid character. I backed out and tried again. This time I got
> the
> same message when I tried to enter the first character (which looks like
> the
> numeral "0") in the FIRST spot of the third field!!!
>
> I did a search for help and am informed that the product ID number should
> be
> in the following form: (these are NOT my number)
>
> 12345-xxx-765432198765 !!!!
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

measekite's psychiatrist

"terca novie" <Vista@fkoff.com> wrote in message
> also make sure you are typing in the correct language (enlgish)

make sure you rub da baboon with da lamb chop

Tom Cat

Re: "Invalid character" in activation attempt?
I'm afraid that what you think is a valid license key, is not.
The valid license key is 5 groups of 5 alphanumerics separated by dashes, ie
25 characters (numbers and letters).
There is no nuber zero or letter O (oscar) and no number one and letter I
(India) in a license key.

"Jim Vaught" <Jim Vaught@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS certainly makes it difficult to register!!! I bought a copy of Office
> 2007 Home and Student Edition today at a local Staples. I finally got it
> installed and then went to activate it. I entered what I THINK is the
> Product ID number. It is in the following general form:
>
> xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx Xxx-xxxxx (the capital "X" is really the character
> uppercase letter X)
>
> When I first tried to enter the character (which appears to be the numeral
> "1") in the second spot of the third field, I got an error message that
> this
> was an invalid character. I backed out and tried again. This time I got
> the
> same message when I tried to enter the first character (which looks like
> the
> numeral "0") in the FIRST spot of the third field!!!
>
> I did a search for help and am informed that the product ID number should
> be
> in the following form: (these are NOT my number)
>
> 12345-xxx-765432198765 !!!!
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

NotEvenMe

Re: "Invalid character" in activation attempt?
the product key and product number are 2 different things.
the key should be on the box or case and is in the format that the
activation box asks for.
like 9234a-5678b-c9234-b5678-ab5cd