Host Process for Windows Services Stopped Working and was Closed

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubm8xMTE=?=

Host Process for Windows Services Stopped Working and was Closed
After my computer has been idle for a few hours I find a dialog box with the
message saying the Host Process has stopped working. When I click the close
button, I see a help ICON in my system tray. When I click, up pops a Windows
Help and Support box. It's open to a section titled "What is Data Execution
Prevention?". It gives an explanation of DEP.

Does anyone know why this is happening? It's more of an annoyance than a
major problem, but I wonder if there's something wrong that I need to
address, or if this happens because something tries to execute while my
computer is in sleep mode.

Thanks,
Dan
Kayla

windows logon user interface host stopped working andwas closed
I just purchased a new computer with Vista and am
getting the same message when windows starts.
How can we fix this?

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
rapierau

Re: Host Process for Windows Services Stopped Working and was Closed

Use your event logs in the Admin tools and try to trace back and find
the culprit/culprits. I have had this happen once and it was due to a
faulty driver.

You need need to provide us with more info. The Event log will help.
Use the Problem Reports and Solutions inside the control panel to give
you a rough date and time and then back track through the Event Log.

--
rapierau
mike

host process for windows services
i had this same thing happen. the first time i ignored it but i could not use my fingerprint reader about the same time. the program ran but i could not get it to read the fingerprint to get on to anything. after reloading the software for the fingerprint it worked.

then i got the host process error again. and again the fingerprint read would not work. so i turned off the protection that causes the problem and rebooted and now the fingerprint reader worked without reloading the program.

so why would microsoft think that the fingerprint read software is mal-ware? hope this helps. i found the cmd statement to turn off the protection on another site.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
flashrob

Re: Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed

I had this same problem suddenly...

checked just about everything to do with networking...

a. couldn't access the lan on hardwire...
b. windows diagnostics advised THEY COULDN'T FIX AND TO CALL MY ISP.
c. I knew that was "bull!"

HERE'S THE SOLUTION THAT FIXED EVERYTHING:

a. first, just a point...I had a HP printer on the network... that DID
WORK...but I couldn't access any folders or directories on the network
(previously had been able to).

b. the CULPRIT: HP SmartUpdate ... THIS IS SOME NEW PKG THAT HP CAME
UP WITH... that obviously has a problem with Vista... this program
installed, I guess because HP noticed I didn't HAVE IT when I checked
for an update or whatever of my printer software... so I probably gave
them permission and downloaded and installed it...anyway

c. I went into CONTROL PANEL... and "add remove programs" is no longer
there... IT IS NOW IN A FOLDER ICON CALLED..."Programs and Features"
(Msft ...my rec: "if it ain't broke... don't fix it!")...anyway

I DELETED "HP SMARTUPDATE" AND "VOILA" ...ALL MY NETWORK LOCATIONS
FILES/FOLDERS WERE "BACK!"

so, just get rid of HP SmartUpdate...I of course didn't delete any of
the other HP software for my printers/scanners, etc.

sure a lot of people have HP printers so hope this help a lot!

regards,

flashrob

c.

--
flashrob
flashrob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/129893.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

flashrob

Re: Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed

also... still had some problems occasionally... so I deleted "all my HP
software" ...except for the ACTUAL DRIVER PROGRAMS FOR THE PRINTER AND
SCANNER, on all computers.

also... got a win DEP msg and had to reactivate that... now all is well
on my network...(DEP data execution prevention, it seems when that
somehow became deactivated I couldn't see the network...etc.) ...sorry,
I can't be clearer... I just got the laptop... and have little
experience with Vista... though I can say their security level is
CUMBERSOME... Msft ought to have a "disable the whole thing" thing...
after-all...I'm just a home-user and DON'T NEED "ARMOR PLATED SECURITY"
LIKE SOME BIG COMPANY...

one other thing: when I tried to access the "vista network" from an
"xp machine" ...it couldn't find the vista computer...but then I
specified the exact "path" like: \\vista laptop\public on the xp
machine...and it found the vista network (after considerable time) and
IT ASKED ME FOR THE "COMPUTER NAME AND PASSWORD." ...WHICH I ENTERED
AND THEN GOT ACCESS...

...this surprised me because on another XP desktop...it found the
network right away without a fuss, and not sign-in.

anyway,

regards,

flashrob

--
flashrob
flashrob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/129893.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/734691.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Michael

"flashrob" <flashrob.3xpgnd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> also... still had some problems occasionally... so I deleted "all my HP
> software" ...except for the ACTUAL DRIVER PROGRAMS FOR THE PRINTER AND
> SCANNER, on all computers.
>
> also... got a win DEP msg and had to reactivate that... now all is well
> on my network...(DEP data execution prevention, it seems when that
> somehow became deactivated I couldn't see the network...etc.) ...sorry,
> I can't be clearer... I just got the laptop... and have little
> experience with Vista... though I can say their security level is
> CUMBERSOME... Msft ought to have a "disable the whole thing" thing...
> after-all...I'm just a home-user and DON'T NEED "ARMOR PLATED SECURITY"
> LIKE SOME BIG COMPANY...
>
> one other thing: when I tried to access the "vista network" from an
> "xp machine" ...it couldn't find the vista computer...but then I
> specified the exact "path" like: \\vista laptop\public on the xp
> machine...and it found the vista network (after considerable time) and
> IT ASKED ME FOR THE "COMPUTER NAME AND PASSWORD." ...WHICH I ENTERED
> AND THEN GOT ACCESS...
>
> ..this surprised me because on another XP desktop...it found the
> network right away without a fuss, and not sign-in.
>
> anyway,
>
> regards,
>
> flashrob
>

> --
> flashrob
> flashrob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/129893.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/734691.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

The first thing you should do is get that Caps Lock key fixed! You keep
yelling like this and no one will pay attention to you.

Not to mention you're trying to revive a 2 year old thread!

--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

flashrob

Re: Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed

the caps are for emphasis

you should pay more attention to the substance instead of the delivery

since a google search for the problem came up with this site... even
though the thread is old... others with the same problem will probably
show up here... because their are no new posts DOES NOT MEAN PEOPLE
AREN'T LOOKING AT THE PAGE...

update: Vista has a problem with older routers ... the link below
helped ... I reset the registry entries as indicated in the fix on the
page...IN THE FINAL SUBSET OF THE REGISTRY TREE ...I had 3 items for
network cards ... I couldn't identify any cards, so I found the code
indicated and SET THE VALUE TO "0" for all the items ...which is the
last reccommendation on the page...I also made sure both by lan adapter
and wireless adapter were both set to DHCP in their respective
properties boxes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

this seemed to work, as I got my hard-wired network showing...

one other issue THAT I TESTED ...don't have you're wireless receiver
ENABLED when you're using a hard-wired lan connection... my network
locations kept disapearing and re-appearing every few minutes... stopped
after I disabled the wirelesss connection... IT WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO
SHUT OFF THE WIRELESS RADIO SWITCH... you could leave that on... but you
had to ACTUALLY DISABLE THE wireless CONNECTION.

hope that helps some

flashrob

--
flashrob
flashrob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/129893.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/734691.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

lanstuff

Re: Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed

I recently encountered this same situation and I disabled Windows
Defender and it stopped. Don't know if this is answer to all but worked
for me!

--
lanstuff
lanstuff's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/222889.htm