Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Matt

Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working
Hi
I posted this question over 2 days ago in the vista printing group but no
so I thought I'd try reposting here - thanks

Hi
I have been reading alot of forums with lots of people having the same
problem as we are where when trying to print to a network printer with vista
64 bit edition the following error occurs "Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to
64 process has stopped working". The only solution that seems to be given
everywhere is from the same person Alan Morris from the Windows Printing Team
where he asks if running Vista Sp1 and also points to the hotfix kb941962
which doesn't seem to solve anyones problems as that is normally where the
threads go dead after they reply that they have Sp1...
We have Sp1 and have tried the hotfix. We've also tried what everyone else
has tried which is reinstalling the network printers and drivers.
Details of error
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: splwow64.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549c865
Fault Module Name: x2rpclAP.dll
Fault Module Version: 5043.900.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 46e9498b

thanks for any help you can provide

Jim

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 01:36:00 -0800, Matt
<Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I posted this question over 2 days ago in the vista printing group but no
>so I thought I'd try reposting here - thanks
>
>Hi
>I have been reading alot of forums with lots of people having the same
>problem as we are where when trying to print to a network printer with vista
>64 bit edition the following error occurs "Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to
>64 process has stopped working". The only solution that seems to be given
>everywhere is from the same person Alan Morris from the Windows Printing Team
>where he asks if running Vista Sp1 and also points to the hotfix kb941962
>which doesn't seem to solve anyones problems as that is normally where the
>threads go dead after they reply that they have Sp1...
>We have Sp1 and have tried the hotfix. We've also tried what everyone else
>has tried which is reinstalling the network printers and drivers.
>Details of error
>Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
>Application Name: splwow64.exe
>Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
>Application Timestamp: 4549c865
>Fault Module Name: x2rpclAP.dll
>Fault Module Version: 5043.900.0.0
>Fault Module Timestamp: 46e9498b
>
>thanks for any help you can provide

Because the .dll is a bug .
Tyro

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working
x2rpclap.dll has been reported to be a virus. Google it for more info.

Tyro

"Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I posted this question over 2 days ago in the vista printing group but no
> area
> so I thought I'd try reposting here - thanks
>
> Hi
> I have been reading alot of forums with lots of people having the same
> problem as we are where when trying to print to a network printer with
> vista
> 64 bit edition the following error occurs "Thunking Spooler APIS from 32
> 64 process has stopped working". The only solution that seems to be given
> everywhere is from the same person Alan Morris from the Windows Printing
> Team
> where he asks if running Vista Sp1 and also points to the hotfix kb941962
> which doesn't seem to solve anyones problems as that is normally where the
> threads go dead after they reply that they have Sp1...
> We have Sp1 and have tried the hotfix. We've also tried what everyone else
> has tried which is reinstalling the network printers and drivers.
> Details of error
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: splwow64.exe
> Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Application Timestamp: 4549c865
> Fault Module Name: x2rpclAP.dll
> Fault Module Version: 5043.900.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 46e9498b
>
> thanks for any help you can provide

Matt

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped workin
Thanks heaps
That seems to make sense - I will look into it

"Tyro" wrote:

> x2rpclap.dll has been reported to be a virus. Google it for more info.
>
> Tyro
>
> "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I posted this question over 2 days ago in the vista printing group but no
> > area
> > so I thought I'd try reposting here - thanks
> >
> > Hi
> > I have been reading alot of forums with lots of people having the same
> > problem as we are where when trying to print to a network printer with
> > vista
> > 64 bit edition the following error occurs "Thunking Spooler APIS from 32
> > 64 process has stopped working". The only solution that seems to be given
> > everywhere is from the same person Alan Morris from the Windows Printing
> > Team
> > where he asks if running Vista Sp1 and also points to the hotfix kb941962
> > which doesn't seem to solve anyones problems as that is normally where the
> > threads go dead after they reply that they have Sp1...
> > We have Sp1 and have tried the hotfix. We've also tried what everyone else
> > has tried which is reinstalling the network printers and drivers.
> > Details of error
> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> > Application Name: splwow64.exe
> > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> > Application Timestamp: 4549c865
> > Fault Module Name: x2rpclAP.dll
> > Fault Module Version: 5043.900.0.0
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 46e9498b
> >
> > thanks for any help you can provide

mlpurdy

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

I am having the same issue only I do not have the virus dll. It happens
when I try to print from Office 2007 (but not other applications or the
web) to my ML 2010 Samsung printer, and only just started happening. I
was printing away happily and then all of a sudden the error starts
popping up. When I try to run a diagnostic through my printer it has
difficulty assigning the port "failed to change the printer port" when
it is clearly assigned to the USB and is showing the correct printer.
THEN occasionally instead of the app error it tries to tell me there's a
problem with the current printer set up, but everything is set up
correctly.

Here's the event log:

Faulting application splwow64.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp
0x4791a2b0, faulting module sugs2.dll, version 0.3.0.0, time stamp
0x45a809e0, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000035407,
process id 0xf0c, application start time 0x01c974177b47e1a0.

I tried the hotfix (and it returned another error saying my system was
not compatible), reinstalling the printer and drivers, system restore,
uninstalling Office updates... to no avail.

Please help! I am a writer and desperately need to print from Office on
a regular basis.

Matt

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped workin
Hi M
I had another user with the same problem yesterday but they didn't have the
dll and since I haven't been able to get alot of info on this error I
recreated the windows profile and it all started working fine again. Not the
best solution but it worked - But also best to do a full virus scan in
windows safe mode just to be sure as I know alot of virus's that are
poloymorphic these days change their file names etc so sugs2.dll could still
be the virus

"mlpurdy" wrote:

> I am having the same issue only I do not have the virus dll. It happens
> when I try to print from Office 2007 (but not other applications or the
> web) to my ML 2010 Samsung printer, and only just started happening. I
> was printing away happily and then all of a sudden the error starts
> popping up. When I try to run a diagnostic through my printer it has
> difficulty assigning the port "failed to change the printer port" when
> it is clearly assigned to the USB and is showing the correct printer.
> THEN occasionally instead of the app error it tries to tell me there's a
> problem with the current printer set up, but everything is set up
> correctly.
>
> Here's the event log:
>
> Faulting application splwow64.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp
> 0x4791a2b0, faulting module sugs2.dll, version 0.3.0.0, time stamp
> 0x45a809e0, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0000000000035407,
> process id 0xf0c, application start time 0x01c974177b47e1a0.
>
> I tried the hotfix (and it returned another error saying my system was
> not compatible), reinstalling the printer and drivers, system restore,
> uninstalling Office updates... to no avail.
>
> Please help! I am a writer and desperately need to print from Office on
> a regular basis.

mlpurdy

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

Thanks for the thought, but recreating the windows profile didn't work
either. At least I have a sparkling clean profile now! :-)

My current thought is that it's printer specific, but it doesn't make
sense if the printer worked perfectly for six months and then crapped
out on me.

Thoughts anyone?

janjoker

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

The same problem here.
I try to print to a shared printer on a XP x86 system.
Printing from Notepad (x64) works okay, but from a pdf reader I got
this error message.

Faulting application splwow64.exe, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp
0x4791a2b0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time
stamp 0x4791adec, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset
0x00000000000a6e97, process id 0x113c, application start time
0x01c9ae9da36e5db6.

--
janjoker
mlpurdy

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

I ended up fixing my problem by just fussing with the printer settings
in Word a bit. Not sure how/why this worked, but it did. Worth a shot.

n[A]ce

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

Based on comments posted here, could it be possible that only some
features of the x86 printer will work with x64 systems but when tweaking
certain settings in the print preferences causes a failure which then
brings up the 'thunking' message when the x64 system cannot use the new
settings?

If you understand what I mean, is it then possible to install
additional 64 bit drivers to the shared printer and help to resolve this
problem?

Has anyone tried installing additional drivers to a network printer?