How to prevent installation of software?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

James Egan

How to prevent installation of software?
My sister-in-law will be staying with us, and she uses my wife's PC
running Vista home premium SP1. The last time she stayed with us she
installed a bunch of software on her old Windows XP PC. We want to
prevent her from installing software on this new PC. Does Vista have any
mechanism which would allow us to prevent software from being installed?
I'm thinking at minimum of creating a non-admin account for her to use.
And no, asking her to NOT install software will not work with this woman!
<g>

-Thanks

Earle Horton

Re: How to prevent installation of software?
Is there anything wrong with just uninstalling the software after she
leaves? Politically, it would be a whole lot easier. Make a System Restore
point or get one of those external USB hard drives and make an image backup
of the whole system, just in case. Get the old Windows XP PC out of the
closet, and hide the new one. You can give the sister-in-law a non-admin
account, but there's going to be trouble if you do that, when she can't
install her software.

Personally, I would have told her to bring her own laptop, made her sleep in
the (unheated) shed, and turned the wireless router on and off at random
intervals. ;^)

Cheers,

Earle

"James Egan" <jegan472@comcast.net> wrote in message
newsan.2009.01.05.04.26.03.473868@comcast.net...
> My sister-in-law will be staying with us, and she uses my wife's PC
> running Vista home premium SP1. The last time she stayed with us she
> installed a bunch of software on her old Windows XP PC. We want to
> prevent her from installing software on this new PC. Does Vista have any
> mechanism which would allow us to prevent software from being installed?
> I'm thinking at minimum of creating a non-admin account for her to use.
> And no, asking her to NOT install software will not work with this woman!
> <g>
>

> -Thanks

Sonny Wortzik

Re: How to prevent installation of software?
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 23:26:05 -0500, James Egan <jegan472@comcast.net>
wrote:

>My sister-in-law will be staying with us, and she uses my wife's PC
>running Vista home premium SP1. The last time she stayed with us she
>installed a bunch of software on her old Windows XP PC. We want to
>prevent her from installing software on this new PC. Does Vista have any
>mechanism which would allow us to prevent software from being installed?
>I'm thinking at minimum of creating a non-admin account for her to use.
>And no, asking her to NOT install software will not work with this woman!
><g>

Get an external drive, image the system to that drive. When the
be-atch is gone, restore the system from that image.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How to prevent installation of software?
1. Have her use Vista's "Guest Account"

or

2. Let her use the old Windows XP PC

"James Egan" <jegan472@comcast.net> wrote in message
newsan.2009.01.05.04.26.03.473868@comcast.net...
> My sister-in-law will be staying with us, and she uses my wife's PC
> running Vista home premium SP1. The last time she stayed with us she
> installed a bunch of software on her old Windows XP PC. We want to
> prevent her from installing software on this new PC. Does Vista have any
> mechanism which would allow us to prevent software from being installed?
> I'm thinking at minimum of creating a non-admin account for her to use.
> And no, asking her to NOT install software will not work with this woman!
> <g>
>

> -Thanks

Gordon

Re: How to prevent installation of software?
"James Egan" <jegan472@comcast.net> wrote in message
newsan.2009.01.05.04.26.03.473868@comcast.net...
> My sister-in-law will be staying with us, and she uses my wife's PC
> running Vista home premium SP1. The last time she stayed with us she
> installed a bunch of software on her old Windows XP PC. We want to
> prevent her from installing software on this new PC. Does Vista have any
> mechanism which would allow us to prevent software from being installed?
> I'm thinking at minimum of creating a non-admin account for her to use.
> And no, asking her to NOT install software will not work with this woman!
> <g>
>

> -Thanks

Have a look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Gordon

> 1. Have her use Vista's "Guest Account"

Which according to MS is a SECURITY RISK - why otherwise are the guest
accounts turned OFF by default?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Gordon

Re: How to prevent installation of software?
"James Egan" <jegan472@comcast.net> wrote in message
newsan.2009.01.05.04.26.03.473868@comcast.net...
> My sister-in-law will be staying with us, and she uses my wife's PC
> running Vista home premium SP1. The last time she stayed with us she
> installed a bunch of software on her old Windows XP PC. We want to
> prevent her from installing software on this new PC. Does Vista have any
> mechanism which would allow us to prevent software from being installed?
> I'm thinking at minimum of creating a non-admin account for her to use.
> And no, asking her to NOT install software will not work with this woman!
> <g>
>

> -Thanks

Do NOT use the Guest account. It's a security risk.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Gordon

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> 1. Have her use Vista's "Guest Account"

> Which according to MS is a SECURITY RISK - why otherwise are the guest
> accounts turned OFF by default?

Masses of stuff here (including TechNet) as to WHY it's a security risk.
Please Carey act like you know SOMETHING....
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ity+risk&meta=

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Not Even Me

Re: How to prevent installation of software?
several ways you could limit the damage
1) create a new account, in her name, with limited rights ( like a kids
account)
2) create a group policy requiring an admin password for any install
3) image the drive and restore it after she leaves

"James Egan" <jegan472@comcast.net> wrote in message
newsan.2009.01.05.04.26.03.473868@comcast.net...
> My sister-in-law will be staying with us, and she uses my wife's PC
> running Vista home premium SP1. The last time she stayed with us she
> installed a bunch of software on her old Windows XP PC. We want to
> prevent her from installing software on this new PC. Does Vista have any
> mechanism which would allow us to prevent software from being installed?
> I'm thinking at minimum of creating a non-admin account for her to use.
> And no, asking her to NOT install software will not work with this woman!
> <g>
>

> -Thanks

Norm Raddick

Re: How to prevent installation of software?
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:25:45 -0000, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> 1. Have her use Vista's "Guest Account"

>Which according to MS is a SECURITY RISK - why otherwise are the guest
>accounts turned OFF by default?

I know that it's turned off by default, but do you have a cite for
where MS specifically states that it's a security risk?

I have Googled my eyes out and found nothing.

Norman
--
If people concentrated on the really
important things of life, there'd