verify the integrity of my hard drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jeremy Schubert

verify the integrity of my hard drive
How do I check the integrity of my hard drive using Vista? Is it just
chkdsk?
Thanks

Richie Hardwick

Re: verify the integrity of my hard drive
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:56:42 -0700, "Jeremy Schubert"
<jscc@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>How do I check the integrity of my hard drive using Vista? Is it just
>chkdsk?

Yup.

Right-click the disk in Computer.

Select Properties, then tools.

It will run on a restart. Note: this doesn't need to be run
frequently. Once is fine, then not again unless you suspect problems.
David H. Lipman

Re: verify the integrity of my hard drive
From: "Jeremy Schubert" <jscc@nospam.hotmail.com>

| How do I check the integrity of my hard drive using Vista? Is it just
| chkdsk?
| Thanks

CHKDSK is only good at the file level. A true integrity test works with the hardware.
Therefore you use the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

For example;
IBM/Hitachi -- Drive Fitness Test
SeaGate -- SeaTools
Western Digital -- WD Diagnostics.

With these utilities you download an ISO file and burn a CDROM and boot from the CDROM.
The test program will run outside the Windows environemnt and truly evaluate if there is a
problem with the hard disk. Often these tools can fix a sector problem that CHKDSK can't.

--
Dave

Jeremy Schubert

Re: verify the integrity of my hard drive
Does the program SpinRite do the same thing? Or should I just go to the
manufactureers site?
> From: "Jeremy Schubert" <jscc@nospam.hotmail.com>
>
> | How do I check the integrity of my hard drive using Vista? Is it just
> | chkdsk?
> | Thanks
>

> CHKDSK is only good at the file level. A true integrity test works with
> the hardware.
> Therefore you use the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
>
> For example;
> IBM/Hitachi -- Drive Fitness Test
> SeaGate -- SeaTools
> Western Digital -- WD Diagnostics.
>
> With these utilities you download an ISO file and burn a CDROM and boot
> from the CDROM.
> The test program will run outside the Windows environemnt and truly
> evaluate if there is a
> problem with the hard disk. Often these tools can fix a sector problem
> that CHKDSK can't.
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

David H. Lipman

Re: verify the integrity of my hard drive
From: "Jeremy Schubert" <jscc@nospam.hotmail.com>

| Does the program SpinRite do the same thing? Or should I just go to the
| manufactureers site?

Gibson crap -- arghhhh

He was selling that crap years ago to adjust the interleave of MFM and RLL drives when it
could be done for free.

Get the manufacturers utility. The manufacturer knows more about their hardware than
*any* 3rd party can and their software can detect and corroect what others can't.

--
Dave