Disk Defrag-Progress Bar

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

NSA

Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with Vista
Home Premium?

NSA

Richard Urban

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
No. Defrag runs in the background under low priority. It takes almost no
resources. When it is done, it's done. Start the defrag and then do whatever
else you want to do.

You can always use a 3rd party defragger such as Raxco's PerfectDisk version
8

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"NSA" <nospam@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with Vista
> Home Premium?
>
> NSA

Dustin Harper

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
Nope, they took that out of this version of defrag. Your only option for the
progress bar right now would to use a third party defrag utility (O&O
Defrag, etc.).

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"NSA" <nospam@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with Vista
> Home Premium?
>
> NSA

Rick Rogers

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
Hi,

No, it is now a background process that occurs while the machine is not in
use. You'd have to use a third party defragging product if you want to watch
blocks move around.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"NSA" <nospam@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with Vista
> Home Premium?
>
> NSA

PTravel

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar

"NSA" <nospam@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with Vista
> Home Premium?
>
> NSA

The progress bar was removed from defrag in Vista. Take a look at the free
defrag program from Auslogics. It's faster and more effective than Vista's
defrag tool and gives a nice graphics display of its progress.

NSA

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
I take no pleasure in watching bars move around. I asked because it takes
hours and hours to complete causing me to wonder if the application was
working.

NSA

On Apr 7, 8:46 pm, "NSA" <nos...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> I take no pleasure in watching bars move around. I asked because it takes
> hours and hours to complete causing me to wonder if the application was
> working.
>
> NSA
>
> "PTravel" <ptra...@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message

> > "NSA" <nos...@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with
> >> Vista Home Premium?

> >> NSA

> > The progress bar was removed from defrag in Vista. Take a look at the
> > free defrag program from Auslogics. It's faster and more effective than
> > Vista's defrag tool and gives a nice graphics display of its progress.

You saw this in my post, right? "It's faster and more effective than
Vista's
defrag tool. . ."

Rick Rogers

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
Hi,

It runs as a low priority background service now. When the machine is being
used, the process halts until the system is idle again.

--

>I take no pleasure in watching bars move around. I asked because it takes
>hours and hours to complete causing me to wonder if the application was
>working.
>
> NSA
>
> "PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "NSA" <nospam@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with
>>> Vista Home Premium?
>>>
>>> NSA

>> The progress bar was removed from defrag in Vista. Take a look at the
>> free defrag program from Auslogics. It's faster and more effective than
>> Vista's defrag tool and gives a nice graphics display of its progress.

mikeyhsd

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
Auslogics Disk Defrag is a good one to use.
FREE and gives the neat little moving boxes display.
fast to.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"NSA" <nospam@roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:u5JEnWXeHHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Is there a way to view a progress bar during disk defragmenting with Vista
Home Premium?

NSA

Leo

Re: Disk Defrag-Progress Bar
No, Microsoft has decided that you don't need one.

--
Leo

If you can't annoy somebody, there is little point in posting.