Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UkpU?=
 

Posts: n/a
Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal modem that
doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have replaced the
Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy works fine.
Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
Thanks a lot.

--
****
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
Hi,

Floppy or modem? They are two different things entirely and rely on
different means of interaction with the operating system. A modem uses
software driver files whereas the floppy drive uses the system bios to
communicate - which is it? For the modem you need Vista supported device
drivers for it to work (and in the case of x64 these need to be signed
drivers). For the floppy, the bios may be misconfigured or require a new set
of instructions.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A358DF91-CA6D-4E5D-A405-D3C2FE6248E7@microsoft.com...
>I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal modem that
> doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have replaced the
> Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy works fine.
> Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
> Thanks a lot.
>
> --
> ****


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UkpU?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
Sorry it's an internal floppy drive. I screwed up talking about a modem. Sorry.
--
****


"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Floppy or modem? They are two different things entirely and rely on
> different means of interaction with the operating system. A modem uses
> software driver files whereas the floppy drive uses the system bios to
> communicate - which is it? For the modem you need Vista supported device
> drivers for it to work (and in the case of x64 these need to be signed
> drivers). For the floppy, the bios may be misconfigured or require a new set
> of instructions.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:A358DF91-CA6D-4E5D-A405-D3C2FE6248E7@microsoft.com...
> >I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal modem that
> > doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have replaced the
> > Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy works fine.
> > Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > --
> > ****

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
Hi,

Ok, then my first steps would be to reseat cabling (data and power - want to
make sure that latter one isn't in backwards either, a common mistake) and
also make sure that the BIOS is set for the correct mode.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:14455B7E-CFC5-40A4-83CD-DB7CEA45CF7A@microsoft.com...
> Sorry it's an internal floppy drive. I screwed up talking about a modem.
> Sorry.
> --
> ****
>
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Floppy or modem? They are two different things entirely and rely on
>> different means of interaction with the operating system. A modem uses
>> software driver files whereas the floppy drive uses the system bios to
>> communicate - which is it? For the modem you need Vista supported device
>> drivers for it to work (and in the case of x64 these need to be signed
>> drivers). For the floppy, the bios may be misconfigured or require a new
>> set
>> of instructions.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:A358DF91-CA6D-4E5D-A405-D3C2FE6248E7@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal modem that
>> > doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have replaced
>> > the
>> > Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy works
>> > fine.
>> > Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
>> > Thanks a lot.
>> >
>> > --
>> > ****

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UkpU?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
Ok I did that and internal floppy still not working but external floppy is.
Both drives show up in my computer along with all the other drives but in
disk manager neither floppy is detected. Any suggestions on how to get
internal floppy (Drive A) to work. Again External floppy (Drive B) does work.
Its just frustrating.

Thanks
--
****


"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ok, then my first steps would be to reseat cabling (data and power - want to
> make sure that latter one isn't in backwards either, a common mistake) and
> also make sure that the BIOS is set for the correct mode.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:14455B7E-CFC5-40A4-83CD-DB7CEA45CF7A@microsoft.com...
> > Sorry it's an internal floppy drive. I screwed up talking about a modem.
> > Sorry.
> > --
> > ****
> >
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Floppy or modem? They are two different things entirely and rely on
> >> different means of interaction with the operating system. A modem uses
> >> software driver files whereas the floppy drive uses the system bios to
> >> communicate - which is it? For the modem you need Vista supported device
> >> drivers for it to work (and in the case of x64 these need to be signed
> >> drivers). For the floppy, the bios may be misconfigured or require a new
> >> set
> >> of instructions.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,
> >>
> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:A358DF91-CA6D-4E5D-A405-D3C2FE6248E7@microsoft.com...
> >> >I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal modem that
> >> > doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have replaced
> >> > the
> >> > Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy works
> >> > fine.
> >> > Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
> >> > Thanks a lot.
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > ****
> >>
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2007
Don
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
RJT wrote:
> Ok I did that and internal floppy still not working but external floppy is.
> Both drives show up in my computer along with all the other drives but in
> disk manager neither floppy is detected.


No, floppy drives don't show up in the Disk Manager.

> Any suggestions on how to get
> internal floppy (Drive A) to work. Again External floppy (Drive B) does work.


When you reboot the machine, does the internal floppy light up
and do its little seek dance as it should? If not, you may have
the data cable reversed like I always do.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
Hi ****,

As Don stated, it's Device Manager, not Disk Manager that you should be
checking.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BFFCE4AD-F820-4E27-A4E3-9C94D6AE0D5E@microsoft.com...
> Ok I did that and internal floppy still not working but external floppy
> is.
> Both drives show up in my computer along with all the other drives but in
> disk manager neither floppy is detected. Any suggestions on how to get
> internal floppy (Drive A) to work. Again External floppy (Drive B) does
> work.
> Its just frustrating.
>
> Thanks
> --
> ****
>
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ok, then my first steps would be to reseat cabling (data and power - want
>> to
>> make sure that latter one isn't in backwards either, a common mistake)
>> and
>> also make sure that the BIOS is set for the correct mode.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:14455B7E-CFC5-40A4-83CD-DB7CEA45CF7A@microsoft.com...
>> > Sorry it's an internal floppy drive. I screwed up talking about a
>> > modem.
>> > Sorry.
>> > --
>> > ****
>> >
>> >
>> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> Floppy or modem? They are two different things entirely and rely on
>> >> different means of interaction with the operating system. A modem uses
>> >> software driver files whereas the floppy drive uses the system bios to
>> >> communicate - which is it? For the modem you need Vista supported
>> >> device
>> >> drivers for it to work (and in the case of x64 these need to be signed
>> >> drivers). For the floppy, the bios may be misconfigured or require a
>> >> new
>> >> set
>> >> of instructions.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Best of Luck,
>> >>
>> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> >>
>> >> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:A358DF91-CA6D-4E5D-A405-D3C2FE6248E7@microsoft.com...
>> >> >I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal modem
>> >> >that
>> >> > doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have
>> >> > replaced
>> >> > the
>> >> > Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy works
>> >> > fine.
>> >> > Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
>> >> > Thanks a lot.
>> >> >
>> >> > --
>> >> > ****
>> >>
>> >>

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2007
Kathleen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
I have a question about floppy drives and Vista. I just got my PC loaded
with Vista Home Premium a week ago. The last computer that I owned had a
floppy drive built right in and I didn't have to worry about it being
compatible. I've looked all over the Internet for an external floppy disk
drive that supports Vista. They all seem to stop at Windows XP. Are there
any floppy drives out there that support Vista? I have a ton of disks with
lots of files on them. If I can't find one, those files are no good to me.



"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi ****,
>
> As Don stated, it's Device Manager, not Disk Manager that you should be
> checking.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BFFCE4AD-F820-4E27-A4E3-9C94D6AE0D5E@microsoft.com...
> > Ok I did that and internal floppy still not working but external floppy
> > is.
> > Both drives show up in my computer along with all the other drives but in
> > disk manager neither floppy is detected. Any suggestions on how to get
> > internal floppy (Drive A) to work. Again External floppy (Drive B) does
> > work.
> > Its just frustrating.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > ****
> >
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Ok, then my first steps would be to reseat cabling (data and power - want
> >> to
> >> make sure that latter one isn't in backwards either, a common mistake)
> >> and
> >> also make sure that the BIOS is set for the correct mode.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,
> >>
> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:14455B7E-CFC5-40A4-83CD-DB7CEA45CF7A@microsoft.com...
> >> > Sorry it's an internal floppy drive. I screwed up talking about a
> >> > modem.
> >> > Sorry.
> >> > --
> >> > ****
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hi,
> >> >>
> >> >> Floppy or modem? They are two different things entirely and rely on
> >> >> different means of interaction with the operating system. A modem uses
> >> >> software driver files whereas the floppy drive uses the system bios to
> >> >> communicate - which is it? For the modem you need Vista supported
> >> >> device
> >> >> drivers for it to work (and in the case of x64 these need to be signed
> >> >> drivers). For the floppy, the bios may be misconfigured or require a
> >> >> new
> >> >> set
> >> >> of instructions.
> >> >>
> >> >> --
> >> >> Best of Luck,
> >> >>
> >> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> >> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >> >>
> >> >> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> >> news:A358DF91-CA6D-4E5D-A405-D3C2FE6248E7@microsoft.com...
> >> >> >I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal modem
> >> >> >that
> >> >> > doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have
> >> >> > replaced
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy works
> >> >> > fine.
> >> >> > Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
> >> >> > Thanks a lot.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > --
> >> >> > ****
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007
R. McCarty
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
Any External USB connected Floppy will be compatible with Vista.
I have a Sony USB floppy and it works fine. You probably want to
transfer (permanently) off the floppy diskettes. Head alignment is a
common issue and sometimes disks that worked OK in one drive
may not be readable in another. I've USB floppy drives as low as
$20 or less.

"Kathleen" <Kathleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:68A39173-604E-45CA-8041-6A5D565C20EA@microsoft.com...
>I have a question about floppy drives and Vista. I just got my PC loaded
> with Vista Home Premium a week ago. The last computer that I owned had a
> floppy drive built right in and I didn't have to worry about it being
> compatible. I've looked all over the Internet for an external floppy disk
> drive that supports Vista. They all seem to stop at Windows XP. Are
> there
> any floppy drives out there that support Vista? I have a ton of disks
> with
> lots of files on them. If I can't find one, those files are no good to
> me.
>
>
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi ****,
>>
>> As Don stated, it's Device Manager, not Disk Manager that you should be
>> checking.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:BFFCE4AD-F820-4E27-A4E3-9C94D6AE0D5E@microsoft.com...
>> > Ok I did that and internal floppy still not working but external floppy
>> > is.
>> > Both drives show up in my computer along with all the other drives but
>> > in
>> > disk manager neither floppy is detected. Any suggestions on how to get
>> > internal floppy (Drive A) to work. Again External floppy (Drive B) does
>> > work.
>> > Its just frustrating.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > ****
>> >
>> >
>> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> Ok, then my first steps would be to reseat cabling (data and power -
>> >> want
>> >> to
>> >> make sure that latter one isn't in backwards either, a common mistake)
>> >> and
>> >> also make sure that the BIOS is set for the correct mode.
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Best of Luck,
>> >>
>> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> >>
>> >> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:14455B7E-CFC5-40A4-83CD-DB7CEA45CF7A@microsoft.com...
>> >> > Sorry it's an internal floppy drive. I screwed up talking about a
>> >> > modem.
>> >> > Sorry.
>> >> > --
>> >> > ****
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> Hi,
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Floppy or modem? They are two different things entirely and rely on
>> >> >> different means of interaction with the operating system. A modem
>> >> >> uses
>> >> >> software driver files whereas the floppy drive uses the system bios
>> >> >> to
>> >> >> communicate - which is it? For the modem you need Vista supported
>> >> >> device
>> >> >> drivers for it to work (and in the case of x64 these need to be
>> >> >> signed
>> >> >> drivers). For the floppy, the bios may be misconfigured or require
>> >> >> a
>> >> >> new
>> >> >> set
>> >> >> of instructions.
>> >> >>
>> >> >> --
>> >> >> Best of Luck,
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> >> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> >> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> >> >>
>> >> >> "RJT" <RJT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> >> news:A358DF91-CA6D-4E5D-A405-D3C2FE6248E7@microsoft.com...
>> >> >> >I have a new computer with Vista home premium and an internal
>> >> >> >modem
>> >> >> >that
>> >> >> > doesn't work. Dell has struggled with their software and have
>> >> >> > replaced
>> >> >> > the
>> >> >> > Floppy but still doesn't work. The "fix" of an external floppy
>> >> >> > works
>> >> >> > fine.
>> >> >> > Has anyone else had this problem and came up with a fix?
>> >> >> > Thanks a lot.
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> > --
>> >> >> > ****
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >>

>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007
Andrew McLaren
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Dell XPS 410 Internal Floopy Drive not working with Vista
"Kathleen" <Kathleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
> compatible. I've looked all over the Internet for an external floppy disk
> drive that supports Vista. They all seem to stop at Windows XP. Are
> there
> any floppy drives out there that support Vista?


Hi Kathleen

It's always good to look for hardware which is specifically supported for
Vista by the manufacturer.

But USB floppy drives are fairly generic devices, so quite low-risk for
compatibility. As long as they identify themselves as a USB floppy drive,
they should "just work". Vista has built-in drivers to support USB floppy
drives. Vista should automatically recognise such a device when you plug it
in.

I use an Imation floppy drive (see
http://www.imation.com/products/disk...usb_drive.html). For me,
this has worked perfectly under Vista - I just pluged it in then started
reading and writing floppy disks. The Imation drive is actually a rebadged
Mitsumi drive, many other "manufacturers" also just put their label on a
Mitsumi drive and sell it as an "Acme USB Floppy" or whatever. So any drive
you buy, which is a Mitsumi drive inside, is likely to work with Vista.

Be more cautious with drives which also include built-in memory card
readers - some of these require hardware drivers supplied by the
manufacturer, so the chances of compatibility (while still reasonable) are
much lower, unless the manufacturer explicitly supports Vista.

> I have a ton of disks with
> lots of files on them. If I can't find one, those files are no good to
> me.


As a side-note, you might want to think about changing to a USB Flash Key as
movable storage - even an ultra-cheap 64MB key can hold the equivalent 50
floppy disks at a time. And the Flash memory is far more robust, and less
vulnerable to mechanical damage, than floppy disks (in fact compared to the
relibility of CPU, memory, hard disk etc, floppies are one of the most
fragile and unreliable components in the computer - which is why new
computers don't have them!) Copy all your floppy disks onto your hard disk
(where they will be more safely stored), then when you need to take some of
the files to and from work or school, just copy them onto your USB Flash
key.

Hope it helps,
Andrew

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Data Transfer from internal hard drive =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 3 11-02-2007 20:45
Desperate to get Syn Center to work on Dell 410 Vista Home Premium Ako microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 16 04-19-2007 20:38
Vista Likes to turn off internal hard drive =?Utf-8?B?SGF0aW5nIFZpc3RhIEFscmVhZHk=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 03-09-2007 20:47
Install Vista on internal Flash drive? Possible? =?Utf-8?B?Z2x4eWpvbmVz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 02-07-2007 18:56
Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable Johnthomas334@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 5 02-06-2007 03:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:40.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120