"NT 4 Printer Driver prevented by policy"

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

+Bob+

"NT 4 Printer Driver prevented by policy"
Vista SP1 Home Premium

My Laserjet5 printer (via jetdirect) stopped working properly. I
deleted it and attempted to re-install using Vista.

After running through the prompts and getting to use existing driver
or install new, the process stopped with a pop-up "Unable to install
printer. The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enable on
your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers".

I tried it with both the "already installed" driver (working previous
to today) as well as "install a new driver". In both cases I get the
same message. According to HP, there's a driver included with Vista
that was written in 2006 and is compatible.

Any ideas how to get by this? This is Home Premium, I don't have any
policy editor that I know of.

Thanks,
Earle Horton

Re: "NT 4 Printer Driver prevented by policy"
Did you try the latest driver from the HP web site?

Earle

"+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message
> Vista SP1 Home Premium
>
> My Laserjet5 printer (via jetdirect) stopped working properly. I
> deleted it and attempted to re-install using Vista.
>
> After running through the prompts and getting to use existing driver
> or install new, the process stopped with a pop-up "Unable to install
> printer. The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enable on
> your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers".
>
> I tried it with both the "already installed" driver (working previous
> to today) as well as "install a new driver". In both cases I get the
> same message. According to HP, there's a driver included with Vista
> that was written in 2006 and is compatible.
>
> Any ideas how to get by this? This is Home Premium, I don't have any
> policy editor that I know of.
>
> Thanks,

+Bob+

Re: "NT 4 Printer Driver prevented by policy"
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:57:51 -0700, "Earle Horton" <earleh@terra.comx>
wrote:

>Did you try the latest driver from the HP web site?
>
>Earle

HP made a clear statement that the latest driver for the printer came
packaged with Vista.

However, it seems that the message was just another flaw in the POS
operating system known as Vista. After a reboot I was able to complete
the installation normally.

I believe that's about the 15th time that Vista has thrown an
incorrect error related to its half baked security model and refused
to correct itself without a reboot. I should just reboot anytime it
throws an error but I foolishly keep expecting it to operate properly.