Failure-security options

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

RENEE

Failure-security options
IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs. Then on
a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process has
failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security options".
Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not installed
any new software
Mark L. Ferguson

Re: Failure-security options
This seems to be a conflict between one of your hardware drivers and one of
the updates you downloaded automatically. You can try System Restore to see
if it stops.

--
Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.

"RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs. Then
> on
> a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process has
> failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
> options".
> Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
> installed
> any new software

RENEE

Re: Failure-security options

Did that and, as usual, system restore does not work. Only things I have
updated are Microsoft updates. Any other suggestions?
"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> This seems to be a conflict between one of your hardware drivers and one of
> the updates you downloaded automatically. You can try System Restore to see
> if it stops.
>
> --
> Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
> Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm
> Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Mark.Ferguson
>
> "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs. Then
> > on
> > a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process has
> > failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
> > options".
> > Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
> > installed
> > any new software

Mark L. Ferguson

Re: Failure-security options
I would try to determine if there was some kind of Malware installed. System
restore is not going to fail due to a MS update.

--

> Did that and, as usual, system restore does not work. Only things I have
> updated are Microsoft updates. Any other suggestions?
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> This seems to be a conflict between one of your hardware drivers and one
>> of
>> the updates you downloaded automatically. You can try System Restore to
>> see
>> if it stops.
>>
>> --
>> Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
>> Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm
>> Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Mark.Ferguson
>>
>> "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs.
>> > Then
>> > on
>> > a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process
>> > has
>> > failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
>> > options".
>> > Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
>> > installed
>> > any new software

Drew Tognola

Re: Failure-security options
RENEE,

By any chance are you running an Antivirus app alongside of Windows
Defender? If so, disable Windows Defender from the Control Panel (bottom of
the settings page),. Also disable Windows Defender from 'Services' &
msconfig's Startup tab (click 'Start > Run, type msconfig > OK).
Restart your PC.

Click the below link and read the posts concerning your issue. Many
different Antivirus apps running with Windows Defender seems to be the
culprit.

www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13079-9-1.aspx

Drew

"RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs. Then
> on
> a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process has
> failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
> options".
> Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
> installed
> any new software

RENEE

Re: Failure-security options
I use Kaspersky and did a complete computer scan for that purpose - found
nothing. Am at my wits end.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> I would try to determine if there was some kind of Malware installed. System
> restore is not going to fail due to a MS update.
>
> --
> Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
> Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm
> Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Mark.Ferguson
>
> "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Did that and, as usual, system restore does not work. Only things I have
> > updated are Microsoft updates. Any other suggestions?
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> This seems to be a conflict between one of your hardware drivers and one
> >> of
> >> the updates you downloaded automatically. You can try System Restore to
> >> see
> >> if it stops.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
> >> Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm
> >> Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
> >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Mark.Ferguson

RENEE

Re: Failure-security options
I keep trying to turn it off but it does come back. Under the options (in
Windows defender), there is no place to actually turn it off - just stop it
from scanning.

"Drew Tognola" wrote:

> RENEE,
>
> By any chance are you running an Antivirus app alongside of Windows
> Defender? If so, disable Windows Defender from the Control Panel (bottom of
> the settings page),. Also disable Windows Defender from 'Services' &
> msconfig's Startup tab (click 'Start > Run, type msconfig > OK).
> Restart your PC.
>
> Click the below link and read the posts concerning your issue. Many
> different Antivirus apps running with Windows Defender seems to be the
> culprit.
>
> www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13079-9-1.aspx
>
> Drew
>
> "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs. Then
> > on
> > a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process has
> > failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
> > options".
> > Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
> > installed
> > any new software

RENEE

Re: Failure-security options
Sorry I'm an idiot...scrolled down and found where to actually turn off.
Will try that

"Drew Tognola" wrote:

> RENEE,
>
> By any chance are you running an Antivirus app alongside of Windows
> Defender? If so, disable Windows Defender from the Control Panel (bottom of
> the settings page),. Also disable Windows Defender from 'Services' &
> msconfig's Startup tab (click 'Start > Run, type msconfig > OK).
> Restart your PC.
>
> Click the below link and read the posts concerning your issue. Many
> different Antivirus apps running with Windows Defender seems to be the
> culprit.
>
> www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13079-9-1.aspx
>
> Drew
>
> "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs. Then
> > on
> > a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process has
> > failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
> > options".
> > Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
> > installed
> > any new software

RENEE

Re: Failure-security options
After all that - still have the same problem

"RENEE" wrote:

> Sorry I'm an idiot...scrolled down and found where to actually turn off.
> Will try that
>
> "Drew Tognola" wrote:
>
> > RENEE,
> >
> > By any chance are you running an Antivirus app alongside of Windows
> > Defender? If so, disable Windows Defender from the Control Panel (bottom of
> > the settings page),. Also disable Windows Defender from 'Services' &
> > msconfig's Startup tab (click 'Start > Run, type msconfig > OK).
> > Restart your PC.
> >
> > Click the below link and read the posts concerning your issue. Many
> > different Antivirus apps running with Windows Defender seems to be the
> > culprit.
> >
> > www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13079-9-1.aspx
> >
> > Drew
> >
> > "RENEE" <RENEE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs. Then
> > > on
> > > a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process has
> > > failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
> > > options".
> > > Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
> > > installed
> > > any new software

Drew Tognola

Re: Failure-security options
RENEE,

A couple things,
1) Have you tried clicking 'Computer > right-click on (C, select
Properties', click the 'Tools' tab > Click 'Check Now' > Check only the
option 'Automatically fix file system errors', click 'Start'.
It will open a window asking if you want to check for errors the next time
you start your computer, click 'Schedule disk check' and restart the
computer.
See if this helps.

2) Click 'Computer > right-click on (C, select Properties', click the
'Security' tab.
Under the heading 'Group or user names', click each item, Authenticated
Users, System, Administrators (your name/Administrators). Does each item
have 'Full Control' Allowed?