Icons problem - black box in corner of each icon

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhblc=?=

Icons problem - black box in corner of each icon
I am using Vista Premium, and evertything was working fine. I now have a
problem with all my desktop icons. On each icon, you can only see 3/4's of
the icon, and in the bottom left hand corner of each icon there is a black
square.
Can anyone please offer any assistance?
Thanks You
Alan
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Icons problem - black box in corner of each icon
Would these be shortcuts where you tried to remove the arrow overlay?

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"AlanW" <AlanW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Vista Premium, and evertything was working fine. I now have a
> problem with all my desktop icons. On each icon, you can only see 3/4's of
> the icon, and in the bottom left hand corner of each icon there is a black
> square.
> Can anyone please offer any assistance?
> Thanks You
> Alan

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhblc=?=

Re: Icons problem - black box in corner of each icon
There are no arrow overlays visible - and I have not tried deleting anything.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> Would these be shortcuts where you tried to remove the arrow overlay?
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "AlanW" <AlanW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Vista Premium, and evertything was working fine. I now have a
> > problem with all my desktop icons. On each icon, you can only see 3/4's of
> > the icon, and in the bottom left hand corner of each icon there is a black
> > square.
> > Can anyone please offer any assistance?
> > Thanks You
> > Alan

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Icons problem - black box in corner of each icon
Are all files affected? Or only shortcuts? Is the black box appearing
where shortcut arrrows should?

--

> There are no arrow overlays visible - and I have not tried deleting
> anything.
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> Would these be shortcuts where you tried to remove the arrow overlay?
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "AlanW" <AlanW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using Vista Premium, and evertything was working fine. I now have a
>> > problem with all my desktop icons. On each icon, you can only see 3/4's
>> > of
>> > the icon, and in the bottom left hand corner of each icon there is a
>> > black
>> > square.
>> > Can anyone please offer any assistance?
>> > Thanks You
>> > Alan

Guy Thomas

Re: Icons problem - black box in corner of each icon
A wild guess, someone has been experimenting with the Shortcut icon.

This is how to control such overlays

http://computerperformance.co.uk/vis...e_shortcut.htm

Guy.

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> Are all files affected? Or only shortcuts? Is the black box appearing
> where shortcut arrrows should?
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "AlanW" <AlanW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> There are no arrow overlays visible - and I have not tried deleting
>> anything.
>>
>> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Would these be shortcuts where you tried to remove the arrow overlay?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Keith
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhblc=?=

RE: Icons problem - black box in corner of each icon
Thanks for help everyone - the reg edit of the shortcut arrow ico worked as
recommended by Guy Thomas - thanks especially Guy!