Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Desperate

Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically
Dear Fellow Users

I have a computer which I bought two weeks ago. Since an update my computer
di a blue screen dump. Now I get 2 options at startup - 1 is to run windows
normally (which ends in a blue screen dump crash) 2 is to launch start up
windows repair which whatever I do results in the system not working. I have
spent 24 hours trying repairs. Has anyone got any advice to get my system
running again. I am desperate to sort this out. I am running Vista 32 I think
on an ASUS Laptop.

Sorry I am no expert so can someone help me solve this issue in plain english.

Many thanks
Peter Foldes

Re: Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically
Depending what Update (Windows or 3rd party) . If it was a Windows Update then I would bring it back to the Retailer that you purchased it from 2 weeks ago and have them fix it.

If it was 3rd party update then no. If you can post all relevant info as to which update and was it compatible with Vista and any and all error messages that are shown including the what is shown on the blue screen then maybe we can help you
--
Peter

"Desperate" <Desperate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E25E39AC-94C9-437D-8621-14DF47C6230E@microsoft.com...
> Dear Fellow Users
>
> I have a computer which I bought two weeks ago. Since an update my computer
> di a blue screen dump. Now I get 2 options at startup - 1 is to run windows
> normally (which ends in a blue screen dump crash) 2 is to launch start up
> windows repair which whatever I do results in the system not working. I have
> spent 24 hours trying repairs. Has anyone got any advice to get my system
> running again. I am desperate to sort this out. I am running Vista 32 I think
> on an ASUS Laptop.
>
> Sorry I am no expert so can someone help me solve this issue in plain english.
>
> Many thanks

Earle Horton

Re: Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically
Try the usual suspects.

Have you tried Safe Mode?
Do you have operating system install media?
Do you have a driver disk particular to your laptop brand or model?
If yes to the two above, are you willing to try to reinstall Vista?
Do you have anything plugged in, that you could unplug before booting?
Is there a warranty? Technical support line? New or used computer?

Some of these machines come with "System Recovery", which puts you back to
"Factory Defaults". It could be found on the hard disk or on a DVD that
came with the computer.

Earle

"Desperate" <Desperate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Fellow Users
>
> I have a computer which I bought two weeks ago. Since an update my
> computer
> di a blue screen dump. Now I get 2 options at startup - 1 is to run
> windows
> normally (which ends in a blue screen dump crash) 2 is to launch start up
> windows repair which whatever I do results in the system not working. I
> have
> spent 24 hours trying repairs. Has anyone got any advice to get my system
> running again. I am desperate to sort this out. I am running Vista 32 I
> think
> on an ASUS Laptop.
>
> Sorry I am no expert so can someone help me solve this issue in plain
> english.
>
> Many thanks

Chad Harris

Re: Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically
Hi--

You've made this a bit of a guessing game because you didn't state what
update caused the BSOD (Windows or 3rd party) and more importantly you
didn't say whether you used or have the Vista DVD not a recovery disc or
discs to run Startup Repair since it was suggested.

It seems you can't get up into Windows Vista; and if you have the Vista DVD:

1) Try Startup Repair:

How to Use Startup Repair: (Any of the links provide screen shots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

2) You can use the Vista DVD or F8 to the Options Menu to try the
bootrec.exe tool switches:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Windows Vista no longer starts, and Startup Repair does not fix problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934540

The commands I use are:

bootrec /Rebuild BCD
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /Fixboot

_________________

They can either be used from a command prompt reached from the Vista DVD or
you can F8 to the options menu and select Safe Mode with Command:

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

3) You can F8 to the Options menu and try 3 Safe Modes to reach a system
restore point, and you can also try Last Known Good Configuration. I
recommend trying all 3 Safe Modes except with VGA because often one works
when the others won't.

Good luck,

CH