Can't open Outlook message, strange message

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Qu0ll

Can't open Outlook message, strange message
I received an email in Outlook but only this message displays in the reading
pane:

"This message with restricted permission cannot be viewed in the reading
pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read its contents
and verify your credentials."

However, when I double click on it or select Open from the context menu to
open it, the sound effect of opening a message is played but nothing else
happens - the message is not opened.

How do I read/open this message?

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com

Richie Hardwick

Re: Can't open Outlook message, strange message
(crossposted to outlook.general)

"Qu0ll" <Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com> wrote:

>I received an email in Outlook but only this message displays in the reading
>pane:
>
>"This message with restricted permission cannot be viewed in the reading
>pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read its contents
>and verify your credentials."
>
>However, when I double click on it or select Open from the context menu to
>open it, the sound effect of opening a message is played but nothing else
>happens - the message is not opened.
>
>How do I read/open this message?

Richie Hardwick
Gordon

"Qu0ll" <Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I received an email in Outlook but only this message displays in the
>reading pane:
>
> "This message with restricted permission cannot be viewed in the reading
> pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read its contents
> and verify your credentials."
>
> However, when I double click on it or select Open from the context menu to
> open it, the sound effect of opening a message is played but nothing else
> happens - the message is not opened.
>
> How do I read/open this message?

Outlook is not part of Vista.
Re-post your question in an Outlook group....

Malke

Qu0ll wrote:

> I received an email in Outlook but only this message displays in the
> reading pane:
>
> "This message with restricted permission cannot be viewed in the reading
> pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read its contents
> and verify your credentials."
>
> However, when I double click on it or select Open from the context menu to
> open it, the sound effect of opening a message is played but nothing else
> happens - the message is not opened.
>
> How do I read/open this message?

Sounds like you may have just picked up a virus. The way to be sure is to do
some very thorough scanning:

Oh, and delete the message. If you know who sent it to you, call them up and
ask what it was. If you don't know who sent it to you, why would you even
open something like that?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Bruce Chambers

Qu0ll wrote:
> I received an email in Outlook but only this message displays in the
> reading pane:
>
> "This message with restricted permission cannot be viewed in the reading
> pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read its
> contents and verify your credentials."
>
> However, when I double click on it or select Open from the context menu
> to open it, the sound effect of opening a message is played but nothing
> else happens - the message is not opened.
>
> How do I read/open this message?

It sounds as if you received a digitally encrypted email. You would
need to supply the required certificates (by using a Smart Card
containing your digital Identification, Encryption, and Email
certificate) before you can open the email. If all of the above is
meaningless or inapplicable to you, you may have received the email by
mistake. Was it from someone you know? If not, simply deleted it; it
so, contact the sender and ask them to resend the message "in the clear."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Bruce Chambers

Malke wrote:
> Qu0ll wrote:
>
>> I received an email in Outlook but only this message displays in the
>> reading pane:
>>
>> "This message with restricted permission cannot be viewed in the reading
>> pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read its contents
>> and verify your credentials."
>>
>> However, when I double click on it or select Open from the context menu to
>> open it, the sound effect of opening a message is played but nothing else
>> happens - the message is not opened.
>>
>> How do I read/open this message?
>>

> Sounds like you may have just picked up a virus.

Not necessarily, Malke. I frequently see exactly this behavior in a
corporate environment that routinely uses Smart Card logons and
digitally signed and/or encrypted Outlook emails. It most often occurs
when the recipient has not registered his/her certificates, or has been
issued a new Smart Card with new certificates that have not yet been
registered.

Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Not necessarily, Malke. I frequently see exactly this behavior in a
> corporate environment that routinely uses Smart Card logons and
> digitally signed and/or encrypted Outlook emails. It most often occurs
> when the recipient has not registered his/her certificates, or has been
> issued a new Smart Card with new certificates that have not yet been
> registered.

Thanks, Bruce. That's a scenario I hadn't considered since similar things
happen all the time to my clients - and they get infected. Thanks for
another way of looking at it. We'll just need to wait for the OP to come
back with more details. Or not. ;-)

Cheers,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Qu0ll

Re: Can't open Outlook message, strange message

Hi Bruce,

> It sounds as if you received a digitally encrypted email. You would need
> to supply the required certificates (by using a Smart Card containing your
> digital Identification, Encryption, and Email certificate) before you can
> open the email. If all of the above is meaningless or inapplicable to
> you, you may have received the email by mistake. Was it from someone you
> know? If not, simply deleted it; it so, contact the sender and ask them
> to resend the message "in the clear."

Yes, this is the scenario - it's definitely not a virus. The email is from
someone on a list I subscribe to. Everyone else can read their mail except
me.

I need to be able to open it too, how do I "supply the required
certificates"?

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com

Joann K.

Re: Can't open Outlook message, strange message
I am having a similar problem; I also get this message but when I try to open
the message, I get:

"Cannot open this item. You must specify a valid date and/or time. Check
your entries in this dialog box to verify they represent a valid date and/or
time."

Weirder still, there are reminders for all 443 emails that are doing this,
none of which can be dismissed or deleted.

All this happened after I reformatted my hard drive, re-installed Office
2007, and imported my email messages from a saved .pst file.

Help!

"Richie Hardwick" wrote:

> (crossposted to outlook.general)
>
> "Qu0ll" <Qu0llSixFour@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I received an email in Outlook but only this message displays in the reading
> >pane:
> >
> >"This message with restricted permission cannot be viewed in the reading
> >pane until you verify your credentials. Open the item to read its contents
> >and verify your credentials."
> >
> >However, when I double click on it or select Open from the context menu to
> >open it, the sound effect of opening a message is played but nothing else
> >happens - the message is not opened.
> >
> >How do I read/open this message?

> Richie Hardwick

markj

Re: Can't open Outlook message, strange message
Hi Joann and Richie

I am aslo having several reports from my users about this. Did you manage
to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Mark