Re-Allocating Disk Space and Re-Letter Drives

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Boblink

Re-Allocating Disk Space and Re-Letter Drives
Hi, I used the (Administrative Tools) Disk Management to Partition a 500G "C"
Drive into a C, D, E and F Drive. I then decided that I don't need one of
the Drives (the F Drive) and deleted it and tried to reallocate the space to
the D and E Drives and ran into a couple of problems, The first problem that
I am having is
that the F Drive is marked as “Primary Partition” and the E and F Drives are
marked as ”Logical Drives” and when I right click on the either the D or E
Drive, the EXTEND
Partition options is not an available option.
So my first question is, HOW do I reallocate space from the F Drive (Primary
Partition) so that I can redistribute it to the D and E Drives (Logical
Drives)?
The other question I have concerns Re-lettering these Partitions.
Now that the F Partition (F Drive) is no longer used(it does not appear on
the list of Drives when I open My Computer or Disk Manager, I would like to
use the letter F again for another Partition but the available letters do NOT
include F and when I go to Change Drive Name an Path option, F is NOT one of
the choices although NO current Drives is labeled "F".
I would appreciate your help with these REALLOCATING SPACE and RE-LETTERING
problems?
Thanks, Bob

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Re-Allocating Disk Space and Re-Letter Drives
"Boblink" <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I used the (Administrative Tools) Disk Management to Partition a 500G
> "C"
> Drive into a C, D, E and F Drive. I then decided that I don't need one of
> the Drives (the F Drive) and deleted it and tried to reallocate the space
> the D and E Drives and ran into a couple of problems, The first problem
> that
> I am having is
> that the F Drive is marked as “Primary Partition” and the E and F Drives
> are
> marked as ”Logical Drives” and when I right click on the either the D or E
> Drive, the EXTEND
> Partition options is not an available option.
> So my first question is, HOW do I reallocate space from the F Drive
> (Primary
> Partition) so that I can redistribute it to the D and E Drives (Logical
> Drives)?
> The other question I have concerns Re-lettering these Partitions.
> Now that the F Partition (F Drive) is no longer used(it does not appear on
> the list of Drives when I open My Computer or Disk Manager, I would like
> use the letter F again for another Partition but the available letters do
> NOT
> include F and when I go to Change Drive Name an Path option, F is NOT one
> of
> the choices although NO current Drives is labeled "F".
> I would appreciate your help with these REALLOCATING SPACE and
> RE-LETTERING
> problems?
> Thanks, Bob

The best way to manage partitions is to use an accomplished utility like
Acronis Disk Director.. check it out..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Boblink

Re-Allocating Disk Space and Re-Letter Drives
Thanks Mike, do you know of any freebee programs that might also do the job?

> Thanks Mike, do you know of any freebee programs that might also do the
> job?
> Bob

You can get a 30 day trial of this program..

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/dow...generation.htm

I am assuming that it is full featured even in trial form..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

MP Descartes