Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

+Bob+

Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
I need to be able to backup my desktop icon settings and restore them.
Is it as simple as copy the two desktop.ini files (me and all users)
and then copying them back?

The need to restore is due to another funky Vista issue...
occasionally I hook up my laptop (1440x990) to an LCD projector (via
the external port at 1024x768). It works fine while I am connected,
but the next time I boot Windows has moved all my icons to fit the
1024x768 resolution, even though the laptop itself never ran at that
resolution. In fact, it's still at 1440x990, it's just battered the
icon arrangement.

If there are other fixes I'm open to suggestions - but I am thinking
that restoring the desktop is the only solution.
John Barnes

Re: Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
First thing I would try is 'the next time you boot up', use F8 and use the
'Last Known Good' option right after POST.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:39:04 -0800, "John Barnes" <JBarnes@email.com>
wrote:

>First thing I would try is 'the next time you boot up', use F8 and use the
>'Last Known Good' option right after POST.

There's a 90% chance that I won't remember at the next boot :-)
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
The Layout.dll extension (from Microsoft) works fine in Vista as well. See:

Save and Restore Desktop icon layout in Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista - The
Winhelponline Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/sa...p-icon-layout/

--
Regards,

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:39:04 -0800, "John Barnes" <JBarnes@email.com>
> wrote:
>
>>First thing I would try is 'the next time you boot up', use F8 and use the
>>'Last Known Good' option right after POST.

> There's a 90% chance that I won't remember at the next boot :-)

+Bob+

Re: Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:28:32 +0530, "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@unknownhost> wrote:

>The Layout.dll extension (from Microsoft) works fine in Vista as well. See:
>
>Save and Restore Desktop icon layout in Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista - The
>Winhelponline Blog:
>http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/sa...p-icon-layout/
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
>The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

Thanks - I will check that out
+Bob+

<ramesh@unknownhost> wrote:

>The Layout.dll extension (from Microsoft) works fine in Vista as well. See:
>
>Save and Restore Desktop icon layout in Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista - The
>Winhelponline Blog:
>http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/sa...p-icon-layout/

Ramesh:

I saw this comment: "As Windows Vista shows two desktop.ini files on
the Desktop, you’ll need to hide them or delete one of those
desktop.ini files in order for the Layout.dll shell extension to work
perfectly."

I've noticed that issue before. I assumed one belonged to the user
signed on and one to All Users but I've never checked into it.
Wouldn't deleting one of these files (as suggested in the article)
cause a loss of data? I do have them both still marked as hidden but
since I display hidden files I know that they both still exist on the
desktop.

Thanks,

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
Bob,

Deleting the Desktop.ini does not cause any data loss. The Desktop folder
icon would vanish though (showing the yellow icon) when viewing in explorer.

--
Regards,

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:28:32 +0530, "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote:
>
>>The Layout.dll extension (from Microsoft) works fine in Vista as well.
>>See:
>>
>>Save and Restore Desktop icon layout in Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista - The
>>Winhelponline Blog:
>>http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/sa...p-icon-layout/

> Ramesh:
>
> I saw this comment: "As Windows Vista shows two desktop.ini files on
> the Desktop, you'll need to hide them or delete one of those
> desktop.ini files in order for the Layout.dll shell extension to work
> perfectly."
>

> I've noticed that issue before. I assumed one belonged to the user
> signed on and one to All Users but I've never checked into it.
> Wouldn't deleting one of these files (as suggested in the article)
> cause a loss of data? I do have them both still marked as hidden but
> since I display hidden files I know that they both still exist on the
> desktop.
>
> Thanks,

+Bob+

Re: Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:59:51 +0530, "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@unknownhost> wrote:

>Bob,
>
>Deleting the Desktop.ini does not cause any data loss. The Desktop folder
>icon would vanish though (showing the yellow icon) when viewing in explorer.

Can you tell me more? What's is desktop.ini used for anyway?
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
It's used to customize folders by assigning an icon, show customized info
tip etc. See:

Customizing Folders with Desktop.ini:

Regards,

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:59:51 +0530, "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@unknownhost> wrote:
>
>>Bob,
>>
>>Deleting the Desktop.ini does not cause any data loss. The Desktop folder
>>icon would vanish though (showing the yellow icon) when viewing in
>>explorer.

> Can you tell me more? What's is desktop.ini used for anyway?

+Bob+

Re: Backup/Restore Desktop Icon Layout ?
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:03:48 +0530, "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@unknownhost> wrote:

>It's used to customize folders by assigning an icon, show customized info
>tip etc. See:
>
>Customizing Folders with Desktop.ini:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...02(VS.85).aspx

Thanks... pretty pointless then. Any idea why there are two in Vista
on the desktop? Does one belong to "All Users"?