What is the bootsect.dos file for?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Paul H

What is the bootsect.dos file for?
In my " Add dual boot XP to installed Vista - now can't boot" query (below
dated Friday, November 07, 2008 10:50 PM) I posted the following:

I shrank the main Vista Home Premium partition, named and formatted NTFS the
new 30 gb empty space, and now my boot record is corrupted. I've tried to
use the repair option from the XP Pro install disk - no luck - can't get
past the corrupted existing boot record. Apparently if I could get a
bootable CD that contains Bootsect.exe I could create a Vista boot record
and I'd be on my way. My Compaq Presario notebook did not come with Vista
install disks. I know my partitions are good, because I've downloaded
Bootable CD images from "Bootdisk.com" that have enabled me to "dir" my
Vista and XP Pro partitions. Help, anyone? TIA, Paul
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now I've found these instructions at http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm :

To Create A Bootable CD, You Need A CD-Burner, Roxio Easy CD Creator, A
Blank CD-R Disk And The Bootable Source Media. (The source can be a floppy
diskette, a hard drive or a previously created image file of any of these.
Use "Help" if confused at step four below.)
After You Have Gathered Everything Together:

Put the blank CD in your drive
Start Easy CD Creator
Select "File", "New CD Project", "Bootable CD"
Select the bootable CD type
Then Select "OK"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have my Roxio Easy CD Creator.
I downloaded Bootsect.exe from eSnips.
When I run it, it creates Bootsect.dos.
What do I do with Bootsect.dos?
I'm ready to create a bootable CD with Bootsect.??? on it.

I do not understand. I thought I'd have a bootable CD with an EXE file on
it, that, when I ran it, would give me some "fix my Vista boot record"
option. Can someone explain?

TIA, Paul

PaulB

RE: What is the bootsect.dos file for?
Hi Paul,

This site will show you how to get a Vista startup disk.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

--
Paul

"Paul H" wrote:

> In my " Add dual boot XP to installed Vista - now can't boot" query (below
> dated Friday, November 07, 2008 10:50 PM) I posted the following:
>
> I shrank the main Vista Home Premium partition, named and formatted NTFS the
> new 30 gb empty space, and now my boot record is corrupted. I've tried to
> use the repair option from the XP Pro install disk - no luck - can't get
> past the corrupted existing boot record. Apparently if I could get a
> bootable CD that contains Bootsect.exe I could create a Vista boot record
> and I'd be on my way. My Compaq Presario notebook did not come with Vista
> install disks. I know my partitions are good, because I've downloaded
> Bootable CD images from "Bootdisk.com" that have enabled me to "dir" my
> Vista and XP Pro partitions. Help, anyone? TIA, Paul
> - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Now I've found these instructions at http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm :
>
> To Create A Bootable CD, You Need A CD-Burner, Roxio Easy CD Creator, A
> Blank CD-R Disk And The Bootable Source Media. (The source can be a floppy
> diskette, a hard drive or a previously created image file of any of these.
> Use "Help" if confused at step four below.)
> After You Have Gathered Everything Together:
>
> Put the blank CD in your drive
> Start Easy CD Creator
> Select "File", "New CD Project", "Bootable CD"
> Select the bootable CD type
> Then Select "OK"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> I have my Roxio Easy CD Creator.
> I downloaded Bootsect.exe from eSnips.
> When I run it, it creates Bootsect.dos.
> What do I do with Bootsect.dos?
> I'm ready to create a bootable CD with Bootsect.??? on it.
>
> I do not understand. I thought I'd have a bootable CD with an EXE file on
> it, that, when I ran it, would give me some "fix my Vista boot record"
> option. Can someone explain?
>
> TIA, Paul

andy

Re: What is the bootsect.dos file for?
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:21:08 -0600, "Paul H"
<NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote:

>I have my Roxio Easy CD Creator.
>I downloaded Bootsect.exe from eSnips.
>When I run it, it creates Bootsect.dos.
>What do I do with Bootsect.dos?
>I'm ready to create a bootable CD with Bootsect.??? on it.
>
>I do not understand. I thought I'd have a bootable CD with an EXE file on
>it, that, when I ran it, would give me some "fix my Vista boot record"
>option. Can someone explain?

You're going down the wrong path. The only thing the bootsect programs
from eSnips do is copy the boot sector from the active primary
partition of the hard drive and write it to a file named bootsect.dos.

What you want to use is the bootsect program that comes with Vista.
This bootsect program runs under Windows XP or Vista.

>TIA, Paul

Paul H

Re: What is the bootsect.dos file for?
Hi PaulB,
Thank you for the help. The CD did work, but just got me "the blue screen
of death". I attempted to reply directly to you, but my attempt was blocked
by my Windows Mail for some cryptic reason. I want to show you some details
of HP's support attempt (surprisingly good).
Paul