VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

~Eric

VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be able to
specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.

Is this even possible?

Memnoch

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:50:09 -0700, ~Eric <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
>startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be able to
>specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.
>
>Is this even possible?

Depending on what you are running you could put them all into a DOS script and
execute that instead.
Ringmaster

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:50:09 -0700, ~Eric
<Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
>startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be able to
>specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.
>
>Is this even possible?

AFAIK not possible.

If you don't have it already download and install a excellent utility
call autoruns. It will show you more about what's going on with
Windows internally then just about anything out there. It's free and
takes up little space.

Get it here:

To learn more visit their forum.

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=16
~Eric

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on sta
Ya, running scripts is what i'm trying to avoid; i was wondering if there is
a method already that exists in vista without resorting to scripting.

Tx,

"Memnoch" wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:50:09 -0700, ~Eric <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
> >startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be able to
> >specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.
> >
> >Is this even possible?

> Depending on what you are running you could put them all into a DOS script and
> execute that instead.

barman58

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup

> Ya, running scripts is what i'm trying to avoid; i was wondering if
> there is
> a method already that exists in vista without resorting to scripting.
>
> Tx,
>
> "Memnoch" wrote:
>
> Quote:
> [image:
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/bbcod...s/12n3_01.png]
>

> > On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:50:09 -0700, ~Eric <Eric@xxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >

> Quote:
> [image:
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/bbcod...s/12n3_01.png]
>

> > >Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs)

> launch at
> > >startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be

> able to
> > >specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.
> > >
> > >Is this even possible?

> > Depending on what you are running you could put them all into a DOS

> script and
> > execute that instead.

I used a program called Startup Delayer on XP to do this , I believe it
has been updated to work with vista a quick google should find it.

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Peter Foldes

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
You are not able to do this.

--
Peter

"~Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news19513A2-F998-4061-A789-BF0F3867A3C4@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
> startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be able to
> specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.
>
> Is this even possible?

+Bob+

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:50:09 -0700, ~Eric
<Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
>startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be able to
>specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.
>
>Is this even possible?

Eric:

In general, this is not much help as the OS will kick off all the apps
anyway and they just start at whatever speed they can... some being
limited as they are waiting for other resources (sometimes the OS
itself) that have not yet become available.

Would a start delay for specific programs be useful to you? There are
some utilities out there that will do that.

Doug

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
>Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
>startup?

I use Win Patrol Plus which has some of the features of Autoruns and
includes delayed start with a panel where you can specify the delay in
minutes and seconds. Once set up you can more or less forget it. It means
that you get your machine running quickly with a small amount of stuff you
really want, and the rest can load later at a leisurely pace. From:
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

By way of illustration I delay the following:

PureText: 40 Sec
Snagit 9: 1 Min : 10 Sec
Stickies 6.7a: 1 Min : 40 Sec
Window Washer: 2 Min : 10 Sec
Sidebar: 3 Min : 10 Sec
Second Copy: 10 Min : 10 Sec

I try to avoid whole minutes as some of my software has the option of
setting a delay in whole minutes.

I have been using it for about 4 months with no problems.
Doug

Stubby

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
You can regedit HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run .

"+Bob+" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:50:09 -0700, ~Eric
> <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to set the order in which programs (TSRs) launch at
> >startup? Right now I can only disable or enable them. I want to be able

> >specify in which order the TSRs launch during startup.
> >
> >Is this even possible?

> Eric:
>
> In general, this is not much help as the OS will kick off all the apps
> anyway and they just start at whatever speed they can... some being
> limited as they are waiting for other resources (sometimes the OS
> itself) that have not yet become available.
>
> Would a start delay for specific programs be useful to you? There are
> some utilities out there that will do that.

Peter Foldes

Re: VISTA: How to change the order in which programs launch on startup
NO. That will not work

--
Peter