Comdlg32.ocx

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

bodybreak

Comdlg32.ocx

I've been trying to register Comdlg32.ocx on my new system... quite the
exercise in frustration! For a while, it wouldn't find the file, but I
think I have worked around that problem by giving permissions to all
users, since you can't Run As Admin for an .ocx file.

However, I'm geting a new error now:

The module "comdlg32.ocx" may not be compatible with the version of
Windows that you're running. Check to see if the module is compatible
with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.ocx.

My system is a 64-bit, so I'm pretty sure I would need the 64-bit
comdlg32.ocx module. Does such a thing exist? Where can I find it?
There are lots of sites out her with downloads for this module, but none
seem to specify 32-bit or 64-bit.

Thanks!

--
bodybreak
Mr. Arnold

Re: Comdlg32.ocx

"bodybreak" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I've been trying to register Comdlg32.ocx on my new system... quite the
> exercise in frustration! For a while, it wouldn't find the file, but I
> think I have worked around that problem by giving permissions to all
> users, since you can't Run As Admin for an .ocx file.

That's a 32 bit COM solution, and this is what you needed to do.

<http://chrisbensen.blogspot.com/2007/02/com-registration-under-microsoft.html>

<http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/>

The all Users thing you should have not done IMO.

You should have done it for your logged-in user account. If "bobybreak" is
the user-id you use to login with as user/admin, then user "bobybreak"
should have been added as an account with the same full-rights as the
Administrator group.

> However, I'm geting a new error now:
>
> The module "comdlg32.ocx" may not be compatible with the version of
> Windows that you're running. Check to see if the module is compatible
> with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.ocx.

Common Dialog32.ocx is a 32 bit program solution.

> My system is a 64-bit, so I'm pretty sure I would need the 64-bit
> comdlg32.ocx module. Does such a thing exist? Where can I find it?
> There are lots of sites out her with downloads for this module, but none
> seem to specify 32-bit or 64-bit.

I don't think there is a 64 bit COM technology. It's only 32 bit.

This is what comdlg32.ocx does from a Windows Web or Desktop solution
standpoint.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168917

It must be that you're trying to install some 32 bit leagcy application on
64 bit system that wants that comdlg32.ocx. It may not be viable.

Peter Foldes

Re: Comdlg32.ocx
See the following

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/comdlg32.htm

regsvr32 <ocx/dll filename>
to register, and
regsvr32 /U <ocx/dll filename>
to unregister

--
Peter

"bodybreak" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:f6fc90b4d46ba913cc652b709cce1a24@nntp-gateway.com...

> I've been trying to register Comdlg32.ocx on my new system... quite the
> exercise in frustration! For a while, it wouldn't find the file, but I
> think I have worked around that problem by giving permissions to all
> users, since you can't Run As Admin for an .ocx file.
>
> However, I'm geting a new error now:
>
> The module "comdlg32.ocx" may not be compatible with the version of
> Windows that you're running. Check to see if the module is compatible
> with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.ocx.
>
> My system is a 64-bit, so I'm pretty sure I would need the 64-bit
> comdlg32.ocx module. Does such a thing exist? Where can I find it?
> There are lots of sites out her with downloads for this module, but none
> seem to specify 32-bit or 64-bit.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> bodybreak

Mr. Arnold

Re: Comdlg32.ocx

See the following

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/comdlg32.htm

regsvr32 <ocx/dll filename>
to register, and
regsvr32 /U <ocx/dll filename>
to unregister

Did you not read the OP's post? It seems to me that he has already tired
what you are suggesting, and he cannot do it. It flat-out told him that he
cannot register the comdlg32.ocx on the machine, which is a 32 bit solution
he is trying to reegister on a 64 bit machine.

"bodybreak" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I've been trying to register Comdlg32.ocx on my new system... quite the
> exercise in frustration! For a while, it wouldn't find the file, but I
> think I have worked around that problem by giving permissions to all
> users, since you can't Run As Admin for an .ocx file.
>
> However, I'm geting a new error now:
>
> The module "comdlg32.ocx" may not be compatible with the version of
> Windows that you're running. Check to see if the module is compatible
> with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.ocx.
>
> My system is a 64-bit, so I'm pretty sure I would need the 64-bit
> comdlg32.ocx module. Does such a thing exist? Where can I find it?
> There are lots of sites out her with downloads for this module, but none
> seem to specify 32-bit or 64-bit.
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> bodybreak

bodybreak

Re: Comdlg32.ocx

Hi Peter,

Yes, that is the command I have been trying since I bought my machine,
but it is not working. I either get the error from my original message,
or this one:

The module "C:\Windows\system32\comdlg32.ocx" failed to load. Make
sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for
problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module
could not be found.

> Hi Peter,
>
> Yes, that is the command I have been trying since I bought my machine,
> but it is not working. I either get the error from my original message,
> or this one:
>
> The module "C:\Windows\system32\comdlg32.ocx" failed to load. Make
> sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for
> problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module
> could not be found.

Most likely, comdlg32.ocx is dependant upon some other DLL(s) that are not
on the 64 bit platform that are on the 32 bit platform.

Peter Foldes

Re: Comdlg32.ocx
And which is the same(comdlg32.ocx ) on a 64bit and if the OP will check in his system file he should see it as such.

As an example Same as before Win98 was 32 bit and was running 16 bit from previous systems as does XP among others

Just do a search for a 64 bit of this file for example on Google

--
Peter

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message news:OxCGcWAKJHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> See the following
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/comdlg32.htm
>
> regsvr32 <ocx/dll filename>
> to register, and
> regsvr32 /U <ocx/dll filename>
> to unregister
>

> Did you not read the OP's post? It seems to me that he has already tired
> what you are suggesting, and he cannot do it. It flat-out told him that he
> cannot register the comdlg32.ocx on the machine, which is a 32 bit solution
> he is trying to reegister on a 64 bit machine.
>

> "bodybreak" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I've been trying to register Comdlg32.ocx on my new system... quite the
>> exercise in frustration! For a while, it wouldn't find the file, but I
>> think I have worked around that problem by giving permissions to all
>> users, since you can't Run As Admin for an .ocx file.
>>
>> However, I'm geting a new error now:
>>
>> The module "comdlg32.ocx" may not be compatible with the version of
>> Windows that you're running. Check to see if the module is compatible
>> with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.ocx.
>>
>> My system is a 64-bit, so I'm pretty sure I would need the 64-bit
>> comdlg32.ocx module. Does such a thing exist? Where can I find it?
>> There are lots of sites out her with downloads for this module, but none
>> seem to specify 32-bit or 64-bit.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> --
>> bodybreak

bodybreak

Re: Comdlg32.ocx

Thanks Peter. I'm having trouble digging up a 64 bit version of this
module. Can you find one for me??

--
bodybreak
Mr. Arnold

Re: Comdlg32.ocx

And which is the same(comdlg32.ocx ) on a 64bit and if the OP will check in
his system file he should see it as such.

As an example Same as before Win98 was 32 bit and was running 16 bit from
previous systems as does XP among others

Just do a search for a 64 bit of this file for example on Google

There is no 64 bit version of comdlg32.ocx. It's a 32 bit COM solution.

You can still register the ocx. For Vista Ultimate x64, you need to place
the Comdlg32.ocx in the \Windows\SysWOW64\ dir. you can then run "regsvr32
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Comdlg32.ocx" and it will register the file.

The \Windows\System32\ dir is for 64 bit dlls only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64

Peter Foldes

Re: Comdlg32.ocx
The reason you cannot find a 64 bit of this ocx is because there is none to be found. It is only comdlg32.ocx which you should replae as per the instructions from Ramesh on his page which is the link that I have included in my previous post.

Here it is again