Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Ken

Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software, they
each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and everyone
says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown and top
of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
than a
coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use Trend if
I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or have any
experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.

David H. Lipman

Re: Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
From: "Ken" <kenmendell@rogers.com>

| When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software, they
| each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and everyone
| says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown and top
| of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
| tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
| than a
| coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use Trend if
| I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or have any
| experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.

Trend Micro is good but not great.

McAfee and Norton retail versions are NOT good. Only their enterprise versions are
"good". However, the catch rate of all three are not as good as Kaspersky, NOD32 and
Avira.

As for a FireWall, just stick with the OS built-in FireWall and supplemnt that with a NAT
Router or a NAT Router with a built in FireWall.

--
Dave

Mick Murphy

RE: Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
None of my fellow Techs, or myself, ever recommend Norton or McAfee, or
Trend, or Windows Live One Care..
Techs will only recommend it if they are getting money out of it.
It is straightout bloatware, that tries to be everything to everybody, and
fails dismally..

Get smaller precise applications to do specific jobs.

Vista Firewall is good. Below is combo of what I recommend for a general user.

Avast Anti-Virus is XP and Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions),
FREE, auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
one time..
Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

SpywareBlaster 4.1 is a non-intrusive, FREE Anti-Spyware Program that runs
in the background (no scanning by you!).
SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of many so-called spyware, adware
and malware programs by disabling the CLSIDs of popular spyware ActiveX
controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a webpage
Update it once a fortnight, and let it do its work in the background!

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!
For the Free version scroll down their page to either download from
Download.com, or Major Geeks.com

Download, install, and update.

--
Mad Mike

"Ken" wrote:

> When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software, they
> each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and everyone
> says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown and top
> of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
> tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
> than a
> coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use Trend if
> I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or have any
> experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Re: Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
Thanks!! Tell me about Kaspersky, NOD32 and Avira. What are they and how do
I get them, etc. I believe I've heard of them but why haven't more people
heard of them?

I've heard about NAT Router and NAT Routers with a built in FireWall. Tell
me more, how they work and where I can get them.

There used to be a great Mac program called Disinfectant, but I don't know
if that's available for Windows.

Thanks in advance for all.

> From: "Ken" <kenmendell@rogers.com>
>
> | When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software,
> they
> | each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and
> everyone
> | says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown and
> top
> | of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
> | tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
> | than a
> | coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use
> Trend if
> | I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or have
> any
> | experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.
>

> Trend Micro is good but not great.
>
> McAfee and Norton retail versions are NOT good. Only their enterprise
> versions are
> "good". However, the catch rate of all three are not as good as
> Kaspersky, NOD32 and
> Avira.
>
> As for a FireWall, just stick with the OS built-in FireWall and supplemnt
> that with a NAT
> Router or a NAT Router with a built in FireWall.
>

> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
Windows OneCare is the best solution:
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ken" <kenmendell@rogers.com> wrote in message news:OchkXe2IJHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software, they
each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and everyone
says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown and top
of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
than a
coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use Trend if
I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or have any
experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Re: Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
Being that Symantec Norton and MacAfee work with the actual originators and
producers of the operating systems they protect, like Microsoft, Apple, Sun
and the various Linux producers, all those techs informed me that they are
not bloatware, but I'll look into what you told me, too, thanks.

> None of my fellow Techs, or myself, ever recommend Norton or McAfee, or
> Trend, or Windows Live One Care..
> Techs will only recommend it if they are getting money out of it.
> It is straightout bloatware, that tries to be everything to everybody, and
> fails dismally..
>
> Get smaller precise applications to do specific jobs.
>
> Vista Firewall is good. Below is combo of what I recommend for a general
> user.

> Avast Anti-Virus is XP and Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions),
> FREE, auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
> And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at
> any
> one time..
> Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).
>
> http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
> Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
> Then SCAN with it.
> Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

> SpywareBlaster 4.1 is a non-intrusive, FREE Anti-Spyware Program that runs
> in the background (no scanning by you!).
> SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of many so-called spyware, adware
> and malware programs by disabling the CLSIDs of popular spyware ActiveX
> controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a webpage
> Update it once a fortnight, and let it do its work in the background!
>
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>
> Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!
> For the Free version scroll down their page to either download from
> Download.com, or Major Geeks.com
>
> Download, install, and update.
>
> --
> Mad Mike
>

> "Ken" wrote:
>
>> When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software,
>> they
>> each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and
>> everyone
>> says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown and
>> top
>> of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
>> tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
>> than a
>> coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use Trend
>> if
>> I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or have
>> any
>> experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.

Charlie Tame

Ken wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Mad Mike
>>

>> "Ken" wrote:
>>
>>> When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software,
>>> they
>>> each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and
>>> everyone
>>> says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown
>>> and top
>>> of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
>>> tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
>>> than a
>>> coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use
>>> Trend if
>>> I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or
>>> have any
>>> experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.

I'd say take Mick's advice. Norton and McAfee are both worthless,
utterly worthless except as has been said for the corporate versions.
EVERY machine I have seen Norton on has run better and faster with
Norton taken off, that is EVERY machine and no exceptions. I have seen
Trend corporate version in use, it seems okay, but right now I tend to
use Avast because it seems less resource hogging than the current AVG.
The others mentioned I don't know so can't make an honest comment.
Poutnik

Re: Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
In article <OchkXe2IJHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
kenmendell@rogers.com says...
> When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software, they
> each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and everyone
> says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. ......

Concerning firewalls, it is worthy to look here:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/fir...ge/results.php

--
Poutnik

Different opinion either shows it is wrong,
either shows the other side of the truth, hidden to us.
Richard Urban

Re: Comparison of antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall Software
Believe what you will but you have made bad assumptions based upon faulty
information!

--

Richard Urban

> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Mad Mike
>>

>> "Ken" wrote:
>>
>>> When asking many techs about antiVirus/antiSpyware/Firewall software,
>>> they
>>> each said Norton and MacAfee, as well as MS Defender/Firewall, and
>>> everyone
>>> says these are great and are the ultimate for the job. Each renown and
>>> top
>>> of their game, of course. But when I asked them about Trend every single
>>> tech, every one, said this was a purely terrible program with more holes
>>> than a
>>> coffee filter and they ALL advised me to STRONGLY and IN NO WAY use
>>> Trend if
>>> I knew what was good for me and had any sense. Anyone heard of or have
>>> any
>>> experience with Trend? Thanks in advance.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

> [...]

>> adware
>> and malware programs by disabling the CLSIDs of popular spyware
>> ActiveX
>> controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a
>> webpage
>> Update it once a fortnight, and let it do its work in the background!
>>
>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>>
>> Malwarebytes is as the name says, a Malware Remover!
>> For the Free version scroll down their page to either download from
>> Download.com, or Major Geeks.com
>>
>> Download, install, and update.
>>

> Being that Symantec Norton and MacAfee work with the actual
> originators and producers of the operating systems they protect, like
> Microsoft, Apple, Sun and the various Linux producers, all those techs
> informed me that they are not bloatware, but I'll look into what you

You would do well to listen to what Mick told you. I agree completely
with his assessment of Norton, MacAfee, Trend and Windows Live One Care,
as do most, if not all, of the other IT and tech folks I know. Ditto
his opinion of Avast and Spybot S&D, but I haven't used SpywareBlaster
or Malwarebytes so I can't comment on them.

--
Zaphod

Zaphod's just zis guy, ya know?