Hide a user on the logon screen?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?V1hT?=

Hide a user on the logon screen?
Is there a way to hide a user account that appears on the logon screen? Of
course without classic logon, how would you get to it later? This seems like
Vista makes windows less secure by displaying the names all the time.

Alexander Suhovey

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
WXS,

Same trick as in Windows XP should work to remove certain account from
Welcome screen:

- Open elevated registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Navigate to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.
Note that his key may not exist yet on your Vista. On my Vista there was no
SpecialAccounts key under WInlogon so I have created it and also UserList
under it.
- Add DWORD value with the same name as account you want to hide. Do not
change value data, leave it default (which is zero)
- Press Win+L to lock workstation and click 'Switch User' button to check
that account in question does not show up in list anymore.

Here's a link to illustrated instructions for XP in case you have any
problems following list above:
http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/200...indows-xp.html

--
Alexander Suhovey

"WXS" <WXS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to hide a user account that appears on the logon screen? Of
> course without classic logon, how would you get to it later? This seems
> like
> Vista makes windows less secure by displaying the names all the time.

=?Utf-8?B?RmF0Ym95IFRpbQ==?=

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
Great, this works perfectly. I also had to create the SpecialAccounts and
UserList keys but then I added the relevant account names and it worked like
a charm.

Thanks Alex

"Alexander Suhovey" wrote:

> WXS,
>
> Same trick as in Windows XP should work to remove certain account from
> Welcome screen:
>
> - Open elevated registry editor (regedit.exe)
> - Navigate to
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.
> Note that his key may not exist yet on your Vista. On my Vista there was no
> SpecialAccounts key under WInlogon so I have created it and also UserList
> under it.
> - Add DWORD value with the same name as account you want to hide. Do not
> change value data, leave it default (which is zero)
> - Press Win+L to lock workstation and click 'Switch User' button to check
> that account in question does not show up in list anymore.
>
> Here's a link to illustrated instructions for XP in case you have any
> problems following list above:
> http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/200...indows-xp.html
>

> --
> Alexander Suhovey
>

> "WXS" <WXS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to hide a user account that appears on the logon screen? Of
> > course without classic logon, how would you get to it later? This seems
> > like
> > Vista makes windows less secure by displaying the names all the time.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
Hi,
I have tried Alexander's suggestion. Yes the account is now hidden but I
cannot login into it as I could do via XP i.e by 2 x Ctrl/Alt/Del. No ther
account is logged in. I've treid the hidden user as both admin and user but
to no avail. Win/L also does not work.

Has anyone actually been able to hide the user from the logon\ welcome
screen and then still been able to log into it via the "Welcome Screen" with
Vista?

I'm using Vista Ultimate.

Thanks.

Pete

"Alexander Suhovey" wrote:

> WXS,
>
> Same trick as in Windows XP should work to remove certain account from
> Welcome screen:
>
> - Open elevated registry editor (regedit.exe)
> - Navigate to
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.
> Note that his key may not exist yet on your Vista. On my Vista there was no
> SpecialAccounts key under WInlogon so I have created it and also UserList
> under it.
> - Add DWORD value with the same name as account you want to hide. Do not
> change value data, leave it default (which is zero)
> - Press Win+L to lock workstation and click 'Switch User' button to check
> that account in question does not show up in list anymore.
>
> Here's a link to illustrated instructions for XP in case you have any
> problems following list above:
> http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/200...indows-xp.html
>

> --
> Alexander Suhovey
>

> "WXS" <WXS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to hide a user account that appears on the logon screen? Of
> > course without classic logon, how would you get to it later? This seems
> > like
> > Vista makes windows less secure by displaying the names all the time.

Alexander Suhovey

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
I don't think so, sorry. The way to login with particular account using
Welcome Screen is to have this user appear on the list.

Another way is to configure auto logon for this user, then it will be
automatically logged on upon reboot no matter if it is listed on the Welcome
Screen or not. But I'm not sure if that's what you want.

--
Alexander Suhovey

"Pete" <phayward_delete@delete_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news5F9B82F-7A55-4C82-B2DF-60018A24482B@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have tried Alexander's suggestion. Yes the account is now hidden but I
> cannot login into it as I could do via XP i.e by 2 x Ctrl/Alt/Del. No ther
> account is logged in. I've treid the hidden user as both admin and user
> but
> to no avail. Win/L also does not work.
>
> Has anyone actually been able to hide the user from the logon\ welcome
> screen and then still been able to log into it via the "Welcome Screen"
> with
> Vista?
>
> I'm using Vista Ultimate.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pete
>
> "Alexander Suhovey" wrote:
>
>> WXS,
>>
>> Same trick as in Windows XP should work to remove certain account from
>> Welcome screen:
>>
>> - Open elevated registry editor (regedit.exe)
>> - Navigate to
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.
>> Note that his key may not exist yet on your Vista. On my Vista there was
>> no
>> SpecialAccounts key under WInlogon so I have created it and also UserList
>> under it.
>> - Add DWORD value with the same name as account you want to hide. Do not
>> change value data, leave it default (which is zero)
>> - Press Win+L to lock workstation and click 'Switch User' button to check
>> that account in question does not show up in list anymore.
>>
>> Here's a link to illustrated instructions for XP in case you have any
>> problems following list above:
>> http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/200...indows-xp.html
>>

>> --
>> Alexander Suhovey
>>

>> "WXS" <WXS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to hide a user account that appears on the logon screen?
>> > Of
>> > course without classic logon, how would you get to it later? This
>> > seems
>> > like
>> > Vista makes windows less secure by displaying the names all the time.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
Hi Alexander,
Under XP, I was able to hide a user from the welcome screen yet still log
into the hidden user from the welcome screen by pressing ctrl/alt/del twice.
This would temporarily disable the welcome screen and bring up the
"traditional" logon screen where I was able to enter the hidden user name and
password.

Under Vista I can hide the user as under XP however my question is how can I
then log into the hidden user as I was able to do under XP. Or put another
way, how can I make the welcome screen dynamically dissappear enabling any
user to log via the "traditional" ctrl/alt/del screen.

Pete

"Alexander Suhovey" wrote:

> I don't think so, sorry. The way to login with particular account using
> Welcome Screen is to have this user appear on the list.
>
> Another way is to configure auto logon for this user, then it will be
> automatically logged on upon reboot no matter if it is listed on the Welcome
> Screen or not. But I'm not sure if that's what you want.
>
> --
> Alexander Suhovey
>
> "Pete" <phayward_delete@delete_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news5F9B82F-7A55-4C82-B2DF-60018A24482B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have tried Alexander's suggestion. Yes the account is now hidden but I
> > cannot login into it as I could do via XP i.e by 2 x Ctrl/Alt/Del. No ther
> > account is logged in. I've treid the hidden user as both admin and user
> > but
> > to no avail. Win/L also does not work.
> >
> > Has anyone actually been able to hide the user from the logon\ welcome
> > screen and then still been able to log into it via the "Welcome Screen"
> > with
> > Vista?
> >
> > I'm using Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > "Alexander Suhovey" wrote:
> >
> >> WXS,
> >>
> >> Same trick as in Windows XP should work to remove certain account from
> >> Welcome screen:
> >>
> >> - Open elevated registry editor (regedit.exe)
> >> - Navigate to
> >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\W inlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.
> >> Note that his key may not exist yet on your Vista. On my Vista there was
> >> no
> >> SpecialAccounts key under WInlogon so I have created it and also UserList
> >> under it.
> >> - Add DWORD value with the same name as account you want to hide. Do not
> >> change value data, leave it default (which is zero)
> >> - Press Win+L to lock workstation and click 'Switch User' button to check
> >> that account in question does not show up in list anymore.
> >>
> >> Here's a link to illustrated instructions for XP in case you have any
> >> problems following list above:
> >> http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/200...indows-xp.html
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alexander Suhovey

Alexander Suhovey

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
That's what I was saying, you can't. Since Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't bring up
classic logon menu, you can't log on using hidden account with Welcome
Screen.

--

> Hi Alexander,
> Under XP, I was able to hide a user from the welcome screen yet still log
> into the hidden user from the welcome screen by pressing ctrl/alt/del
> twice.
> This would temporarily disable the welcome screen and bring up the
> "traditional" logon screen where I was able to enter the hidden user name
> and
> password.
>
> Under Vista I can hide the user as under XP however my question is how can
> then log into the hidden user as I was able to do under XP. Or put another
> way, how can I make the welcome screen dynamically dissappear enabling any
> user to log via the "traditional" ctrl/alt/del screen.
>
> Pete
>
> "Alexander Suhovey" wrote:
>
>> I don't think so, sorry. The way to login with particular account using
>> Welcome Screen is to have this user appear on the list.
>>
>> Another way is to configure auto logon for this user, then it will be
>> automatically logged on upon reboot no matter if it is listed on the
>> Welcome
>> Screen or not. But I'm not sure if that's what you want.
>>
>> --
>> Alexander Suhovey
>>
>> "Pete" <phayward_delete@delete_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> news5F9B82F-7A55-4C82-B2DF-60018A24482B@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> > I have tried Alexander's suggestion. Yes the account is now hidden but
>> > cannot login into it as I could do via XP i.e by 2 x Ctrl/Alt/Del. No
>> > ther
>> > account is logged in. I've treid the hidden user as both admin and user
>> > but
>> > to no avail. Win/L also does not work.
>> >
>> > Has anyone actually been able to hide the user from the logon\ welcome
>> > screen and then still been able to log into it via the "Welcome Screen"
>> > with
>> > Vista?
>> >
>> > I'm using Vista Ultimate.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Pete

Alexander Suhovey

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
There's still a rather geeky way to achieve what you want. In short you can
first log on with some account that is listed on Welcome Screen, then kill
the shell (explorer.exe process), then start it again under account you've
hidden from Welcome Screen using RUNAS command.

Let me know if you OK with this scenario and if you need additional
instructions.

--
Alexander Suhovey

"Alexander Suhovey" <asuhovey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> That's what I was saying, you can't. Since Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't bring up
> classic logon menu, you can't log on using hidden account with Welcome
> Screen.
>
> --
> Alexander Suhovey
>
> "Pete" <phayward_delete@delete_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Alexander,
>> Under XP, I was able to hide a user from the welcome screen yet still log
>> into the hidden user from the welcome screen by pressing ctrl/alt/del
>> twice.
>> This would temporarily disable the welcome screen and bring up the
>> "traditional" logon screen where I was able to enter the hidden user name
>> and
>> password.
>>
>> Under Vista I can hide the user as under XP however my question is how
>> can I
>> then log into the hidden user as I was able to do under XP. Or put
>> another
>> way, how can I make the welcome screen dynamically dissappear enabling
>> any
>> user to log via the "traditional" ctrl/alt/del screen.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> "Alexander Suhovey" wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think so, sorry. The way to login with particular account using
>>> Welcome Screen is to have this user appear on the list.
>>>
>>> Another way is to configure auto logon for this user, then it will be
>>> automatically logged on upon reboot no matter if it is listed on the
>>> Welcome
>>> Screen or not. But I'm not sure if that's what you want.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alexander Suhovey
>>>
>>> "Pete" <phayward_delete@delete_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> news5F9B82F-7A55-4C82-B2DF-60018A24482B@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
I'm sorry Alexander I assumed from your repsonse that you were unaware that
the login I described was possible in XP and that you actually understood
what I meant.

Are you able to confirm that Microsoft left the ability to hide the account
but then at the same time, left no ready way for say a hidden administrator
to access the machine? I find that quite an odd position for Bill to take.
Seems wierd to have something "half pregnant" eh...

I will try your suggestion of killing the explorer session but this seems
messy to me.

Anyhow thanks heaps for you patience with this issue. I appreciate it

Pete

"Alexander Suhovey" wrote:

> That's what I was saying, you can't. Since Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't bring up
> classic logon menu, you can't log on using hidden account with Welcome
> Screen.
>
> --
> Alexander Suhovey
>
> "Pete" <phayward_delete@delete_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Alexander,
> > Under XP, I was able to hide a user from the welcome screen yet still log
> > into the hidden user from the welcome screen by pressing ctrl/alt/del
> > twice.
> > This would temporarily disable the welcome screen and bring up the
> > "traditional" logon screen where I was able to enter the hidden user name
> > and
> > password.
> >
> > Under Vista I can hide the user as under XP however my question is how can
> > then log into the hidden user as I was able to do under XP. Or put another
> > way, how can I make the welcome screen dynamically dissappear enabling any
> > user to log via the "traditional" ctrl/alt/del screen.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > "Alexander Suhovey" wrote:
> >
> >> I don't think so, sorry. The way to login with particular account using
> >> Welcome Screen is to have this user appear on the list.
> >>
> >> Another way is to configure auto logon for this user, then it will be
> >> automatically logged on upon reboot no matter if it is listed on the
> >> Welcome
> >> Screen or not. But I'm not sure if that's what you want.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alexander Suhovey
> >>
> >> "Pete" <phayward_delete@delete_bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >> news5F9B82F-7A55-4C82-B2DF-60018A24482B@microsoft.com...

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZQ==?=

Re: Hide a user on the logon screen?
Hi Alexander,
Hey your "runas" idea works a treat. Thanks heaps for this idea. I would
never have thought of it. Excellent Yes it's "messy" but at least it
works....neat one!!

Again. Thanks

Pete