svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) accessing media files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Eric Tiberius Duckman

svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) accessing media files
From time-to-time, my hard drive will start thrashing, and my pc
performance will start to lag, even though the cpu usage is low. If I
open resource monitor, it looks like
svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) is accessing media files,
mostly video, on my hard drive. What could be the reason for this,
and how can I get it to stop doing it?

Vista Home Premium 32bit
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
3Gigs RAM
456Gig C: Drive/325GB Free
Windows Search Service Disabled
--
"...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience"

Eric Tiberius Duckman

Re: svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) accessing media files
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:31:18 -0400, "Stubby"
<William.Plummer*NO*SPAM*@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>Virus scanner?
>
>"Eric Tiberius Duckman" <eric_t_duckman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:ak7m94td8imdni77o8u2o236etg5l22ond@4ax.com.. .
>From time-to-time, my hard drive will start thrashing, and my pc
>performance will start to lag, even though the cpu usage is low. If I
>open resource monitor, it looks like
>svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) is accessing media files,
>mostly video, on my hard drive. What could be the reason for this,
>and how can I get it to stop doing it?
>
>Vista Home Premium 32bit
>AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
>3Gigs RAM
>456Gig C: Drive/325GB Free
>Windows Search Service Disabled

I'm using Avast Home Edition v4.8. I don't think it's configured to
automatically scan at boot time, or any other time, for that matter.
It's set up for "on-access" scanning, and the files in question
weren't being accessed at the time, except, apparently, by
svchost.exe. I've just added the paths where my media are stored to
Avast's exception list, so I'll see if that makes a difference.
--
"...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience"
dxg

RE: svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) accessing media files
I have the same issue. As I do alot of video work, this annoys me to no end.
I end the task in task manager, an consequently loose vista aero for a min or
two (it magically comes back), and then after a few min it starts scanning
like mad again.

Not great when you have video files 20gig in size..

No solution yet.
And its definatelly not a virus scanner thing, I don't even have one
installed. And not like video/audio files need scanning anyway.

Process Monitor (sysinternals) shows me that its scanning video/audio files,
and the svchost instance is usually using 50MB of RAM.

I dont have indexing turned on on a system wide basis or anything, so I have
no idea why this happens..
It gets triggered when i open a folder in explorer with media files in it.

"Eric Tiberius Duckman" wrote:

> From time-to-time, my hard drive will start thrashing, and my pc
> performance will start to lag, even though the cpu usage is low. If I
> open resource monitor, it looks like
> svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) is accessing media files,
> mostly video, on my hard drive. What could be the reason for this,
> and how can I get it to stop doing it?
>
> Vista Home Premium 32bit
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
> 3Gigs RAM
> 456Gig C: Drive/325GB Free
> Windows Search Service Disabled
> --
> "...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience"

Synapse Syndrome

"dxg" <dxg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Process Monitor (sysinternals) shows me that its scanning video/audio
> files,
> and the svchost instance is usually using 50MB of RAM.

If you try Process Explorer, from Sysinternals, instead, and double click on
the bust svchost.exe process, what Thread is taking the CPU time? And what
is in the Services tab?

ss.

roidal

Re: svchost.exe(LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) accessing media files

I had the same problems, it was the superfetch-service...deaktivate it.

--
roidal
roidal's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/roidal.htm

http://forums.techarena.in