Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Onlyetc

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Distorted Vision

Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Onlyetc
Hi,

I'm having problems with one of my desktop machines which has Vista
Ultimate 32 bit installed. It has a Netgear WG311T network card. It is
having strange intermittent problems with the wireless connection.
There are 3 other wireless machines on the network but they are
running Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. I have had the wireless
running on this machine using the same hardware and even the same
driver for over a year. But with this fresh clean install its giving
me problems.

The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it will connect if I do
diagnose this connection or ipconfig /renew. Sometimes I get local
access only. Sometimes it doesn't connect at all and doesn't even find
the network.

I've tried all the suggestions on websites I've read including:

Disabling power saving on the NIC
Disabling IPv6
Disabling QoS
Changing wireless channels

Does anyone have any other suggestions because I'm really stuck.

Many thanks!

Spikey

Re: Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Only etc

"Distorted Vision" <r.patre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems with one of my desktop machines which has Vista
> Ultimate 32 bit installed. It has a Netgear WG311T network card. It is
> having strange intermittent problems with the wireless connection.
> There are 3 other wireless machines on the network but they are
> running Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. I have had the wireless
> running on this machine using the same hardware and even the same
> driver for over a year. But with this fresh clean install its giving
> me problems.
>
> The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it will connect if I do
> diagnose this connection or ipconfig /renew. Sometimes I get local
> access only. Sometimes it doesn't connect at all and doesn't even find
> the network.

Had a similar problem with laptop connected to cabled network. In my case
when I disconnected the router and reconnected it was finding an incorrect
network with limited (no internet access). pulling the network cable out and
in fixed the problem but didnt want to be doing that everytime.

The workaround I used was to create an alternate IPv4 configuration using a
spare address from the subnet but outside of the DHCP pool.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Only etc
This could be incompatible issue. Have you checked if there is a new driver
for NIC or firmware for the router.
Vista incompatible issues
Vista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or routers may not
compatible with Vista - Solutions: upgrade the firmware, disable the IPv6,
re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Spikey" <.> wrote in message

> "Distorted Vision" <r.patre@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having problems with one of my desktop machines which has Vista
>> Ultimate 32 bit installed. It has a Netgear WG311T network card. It is
>> having strange intermittent problems with the wireless connection.
>> There are 3 other wireless machines on the network but they are
>> running Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. I have had the wireless
>> running on this machine using the same hardware and even the same
>> driver for over a year. But with this fresh clean install its giving
>> me problems.
>>
>> The problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it will connect if I do
>> diagnose this connection or ipconfig /renew. Sometimes I get local
>> access only. Sometimes it doesn't connect at all and doesn't even find
>> the network.
>>

> Had a similar problem with laptop connected to cabled network. In my case
> when I disconnected the router and reconnected it was finding an incorrect
> network with limited (no internet access). pulling the network cable out
> and in fixed the problem but didnt want to be doing that everytime.
>
> The workaround I used was to create an alternate IPv4 configuration using
> a spare address from the subnet but outside of the DHCP pool.

Distorted Vision

Re: Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / LocalOnly etc
I have a Netgear DG834PN router and it has the latest firmware. I'm
using the Atheros drivers for my network card which I was using using
without any problems with my previous Vista installation on the same
machine. I've also tried the Negear drivers but have exactly the same
problem. I've even tried a different wireless network card the Netgear
WPN311T and interesting it does exactly the same thing.

Any ideas anyone please?
d0od

Re: Vista Wireless Problems: Connected with Limited Access / Local Onlyetc

i get this, i'm using a SMC router and wifi dongle.

Sometimes it connects [usually after restarting] and sometimes it'll
only grant me "local" access depsite both my EeePC and MacBook managing
to connect to the router no problemo.

Work around? since my desktop is next to my wireless router, i just
plugged an ethernet cable in it. solved. annoyingly.

--
d0od

tech news, view, reviews and how to's @
'*www.d0od.blogspot.com*' (http://www.d0od.blogspot.com)

[image:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/...5082ffb_o.jpg]
Big_Al

Distorted Vision wrote:
> I have a Netgear DG834PN router and it has the latest firmware. I'm
> using the Atheros drivers for my network card which I was using using
> without any problems with my previous Vista installation on the same
> machine. I've also tried the Negear drivers but have exactly the same
> problem. I've even tried a different wireless network card the Netgear
> WPN311T and interesting it does exactly the same thing.
>
> Any ideas anyone please?

Two recent problems I've had, I'll relay. Give them a stab, you got
nothing to lose.

I was just working on a friends Vista PC, wireless with a netgear router
and I was having troubles with only some web pages working. Google
would work, but no links on the search list would work, like Nascar.com.
HP tech (it was an HP laptop) said it was the new router the cable
company just installed. I have to agree with him. We are now working
on getting a new router. He suggested updating the firmware, but I'm
not sure I would since its not mine but the cable co's. But as a work
around he downgraded the WPA2 security to WEP and that fixed the
internet.

I also personally have an Actiontech router for my FIOS account at home
and the WPA2 encryption algorithm was set to AES/XXXX (not sure what
the XXX was but it was like TKT). Anyway I changed the algorithm to
AES only and it works now.