Constantly rebooting - cant get past BIOS??? HELP

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

limousineorama is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Constantly rebooting - cant get past BIOS??? HELP
I did a windows update yesterday the 27th - dont quite know what it was that was updated but i also changed the power options to my own custom settings as the screensaver and monitor off were not working.
Now i have realised it has been rebooting itself all night long not getting past the 'press del to enter setup' part. Once i am in there it just reboots itself again before i can change anything. I tried inserting the vista dvd to do a repair but theres no time it just reboots. And it keeping turning itself on if i turn it off.???
HELP!!!
I checked all the wireing on the inside and its all good, i was thinking that the off switch and reboot plugs had come off or something?
Does this sound like a virus or spyware? How do i stop this and run a scan??

All help is much appreciated

thanks
Gary S. Terhune

Re: Constantly rebooting - cant get past BIOS??? HELP
Please explain more carefully exactly what is happening. You *can* enter
Setup, or not? Once there, can you change settings, or even just look around
for an indefinite period, or does it spontaneously reboot? If you can stay
in Setup long enough, try to change power management settings to absolutely
none.

If you have no problems getting into Setup, if the spontaneous reboot
happens after that, exactly how far into the boot sequence does it get? If I
understand you, it won't even boot a CD or DVD that has been placed first in
the Boot Sequence (in BIOS)? And while we're at it, what brand machine is
this?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"limousineorama" <limousineorama.3d8h4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
in message news:limousineorama.3d8h4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I did a windows update yesterday the 27th - dont quite know what it was
> that was updated but i also changed the power options to my own custom
> settings as the screensaver and monitor off were not working.
> Now i have realised it has been rebooting itself all night long not
> getting past the 'press del to enter setup' part. Once i am in there it
> just reboots itself again before i can change anything. I tried
> inserting the vista dvd to do a repair but theres no time it just
> reboots. And it keeping turning itself on if i turn it off.???
> HELP!!!
> I checked all the wireing on the inside and its all good, i was
> thinking that the off switch and reboot plugs had come off or
> something?
> Does this sound like a virus or spyware? How do i stop this and run a
> scan??
>
> All help is much appreciated
>
> thanks
>

> --
> limousineorama

Patrick Keenan

Re: Constantly rebooting - cant get past BIOS??? HELP
"limousineorama" <limousineorama.3d8h4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
in message news:limousineorama.3d8h4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I did a windows update yesterday the 27th - dont quite know what it was
> that was updated but i also changed the power options to my own custom
> settings as the screensaver and monitor off were not working.
> Now i have realised it has been rebooting itself all night long not
> getting past the 'press del to enter setup' part. Once i am in there it
> just reboots itself again before i can change anything.

You need to clarify something here, and there is a simple test you can do to
determine whether the problem is the Vista install - or not.

It sounds like you cannot get into the BIOS setup utility without the system
rebooting. On your system, you would press DEL to enter setup, and it
should take you safely to the BIOS setup, where you set things like system
time, hard disks, boot sequence, etc.

Does it reboot in the setup program, or does it sit there till you tell it
to exit and reboot?

This is an extremely important detail, because at that point, the system
doesn't care at all about the OS that's installed. It doesn't even matter
if there's a hard disk. If the system is rebooting here, Vista is not
involved in the crash, you have a hardware problem to deal with.

The test is to shut down, open the case. Disconnect the hard disk. Power up
again. Does the system reboot? It should just stop for a while, and after
some time, you will see a message - from the BIOS - saying that there's no
boot device or no OS found. And then it should just sit there till you
turn it off. If that isn't the behaviour you see, if the system reboots,
there is no way that it is related to Vista or malware of any kind.

HTH
-pk