Vista and VBScript

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFr?=

Vista and VBScript
VBScript seems to run differently on Vista than on XP. Here is a little
VBscript to launch the Security Center on Windows. When run on XP, the
security center appears and the "Done" message does not appear until the
security center is closed. On Vista the "Done" message appears and then the
security center appears. Is this working as designed? If so, can I change the
default behavior?

--------------------------------
' launch security center
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim objShell
Dim nReturnCode, fname

'
' Start the security center control panel
'
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
fname = "%ComSpec% /C " + WScript.Path + "\wscui.cpl"
nReturnCode = objShell.Run(fname, 0, TRUE)

msgbox "done"
--------------------------------------

Alexander Suhovey

Re: Vista and VBScript
This problem seems to be related rather to the way control.exe works on
Vista than to VBScript. You should see what I mean if you run following
command at command prompt under both operating systems:

start /wait wscui.cpl

In Windows XP cmd will wait for Security Center to close while in Vista
abovementioned command exits immediately.

If you ask me I'd call it a bug. If it is not a documented change of course.

--
Alexander Suhovey

"dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> VBScript seems to run differently on Vista than on XP. Here is a little
> VBscript to launch the Security Center on Windows. When run on XP, the
> security center appears and the "Done" message does not appear until the
> security center is closed. On Vista the "Done" message appears and then
> the
> security center appears. Is this working as designed? If so, can I change
> the
> default behavior?
>
> --------------------------------
> ' launch security center
> Option Explicit
> On Error Resume Next
>
> Dim objShell
> Dim nReturnCode, fname
>
> '
> ' Start the security center control panel
> '
> Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> fname = "%ComSpec% /C " + WScript.Path + "\wscui.cpl"
> nReturnCode = objShell.Run(fname, 0, TRUE)
>
> msgbox "done"

=?Utf-8?B?ZGFr?=

Re: Vista and VBScript
Yes, I do see what you mean. I agree it could be a bug. Somethings work as
expected on Vista: "start /wait notepad.exe" does indeed wait, while: "start
/wait iexplore.exe" does not wait.