Hardware profiles in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

kapibarra

Hardware profiles in Vista
Is there a way to create a hardware profile in Vista? I have a laptop
with vista business 32 bit on it and it only has an 'undocked' profile
autocreated by vista even though sometimes it is docked and sometimes
undocked. I need to have different settings for each profile. Thanks.
Karl Snooks

Re: Hardware profiles in Vista
kapibarra,
Win+F1 | type Create Network Profile in the search box | enter key | choose the first item on the resulting list and follow directions given there.

Karl
"kapibarra" <kapib@r.raa> wrote in message news:g5r01h$25u$1@news.mixmin.net...
Is there a way to create a hardware profile in Vista? I have a laptop
with vista business 32 bit on it and it only has an 'undocked' profile
autocreated by vista even though sometimes it is docked and sometimes
undocked. I need to have different settings for each profile. Thanks.
Censored Syndrome

Re: Hardware profiles in Vista
"kapibarra" <kapib@r.raa> wrote in message
> Is there a way to create a hardware profile in Vista? I have a laptop
> with vista business 32 bit on it and it only has an 'undocked' profile
> autocreated by vista even though sometimes it is docked and sometimes
> undocked. I need to have different settings for each profile. Thanks.

They removed Hardware Profiles from Vista for some reason.

ss.

kapibarra

Karl Snooks wrote:
> kapibarra,
> Win+F1 | type Create Network Profile in the search box | enter key |
> choose the first item on the resulting list and follow directions given
> there.
>
> Karl

Thanks for your response Karl, but I need a hardware profile not a
network profile.

> "kapibarra" <kapib@r.raa <mailto:kapib@r.raa>> wrote in message
> Is there a way to create a hardware profile in Vista? I have a laptop
> with vista business 32 bit on it and it only has an 'undocked' profile
> autocreated by vista even though sometimes it is docked and sometimes
> undocked. I need to have different settings for each profile. Thanks.

Karl Snooks

Re: Hardware profiles in Vista
kapibarra,
Well then, you're up the creek without a paddle. MS purposely removed "hardware profiles". Suggest you investigate "network profiles".

karl

Karl Snooks wrote:
> kapibarra,
> Well then, you're up the creek without a paddle. MS purposely removed
> "hardware profiles". Suggest you investigate "network profiles".

I hate when MS removes the paddles!

> karl
>
> "kapibarra" <kapib@r.raa <mailto:kapib@r.raa>> wrote in message
> Karl Snooks wrote:
> > kapibarra,
> > Win+F1 | type Create Network Profile in the search box | enter key |
> > choose the first item on the resulting list and follow directions

> given
> > there.
> >
> > Karl

> Thanks for your response Karl, but I need a hardware profile not a
> network profile.
>

> > "kapibarra" <kapib@r.raa <mailto:kapib@r.raa>

> <mailto:kapib@r.raa>> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to create a hardware profile in Vista? I have

> a laptop
> > with vista business 32 bit on it and it only has an

> 'undocked' profile
> > autocreated by vista even though sometimes it is docked and

> sometimes
> > undocked. I need to have different settings for each

> profile. Thanks.

MS

Re: Hardware profiles in Vista
Actually they did not remove hardware profiles, but made the feature
entirely non-functional, as what is the use of having one profile ("
undocked"), if one cannot create alternate ones? Was that purposeful? I
don't see why they would purposefully remove a useful feature. I cannot read
Microsoft's mind, but it looks to me like they started to include hardware
profiles (by the fact of the one profile, and that tab on the services
dialogue about disabling services per profile), and then dropped the ball,
and never finished that feature, and left it uncommpleted, devoid of
functionality. Pretty screwed, as it is a useful feature.

Are you saying, Karl, that network profiles can be used in the same way as
hardware profiles were in XP, so that one can boot the computer into a
different profile, with a different set of services and drivers running?