Annoying vista regedit.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?YXVzZXI=?=

Annoying vista regedit.
Has anyone noticed that if you click a key in regedit the icon doesn't change
to an open folder (all the icons always look the same). In Windows XP the
icon changed to an open folder. This is particularly annoying when searching
for data or values. When your data or value is found the icon to the
corresponding key does not change, so you don't instantly know which key the
data or value belongs to. Often it is at the bottom of the window, but not
always. Drives me nuts.
Mark

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
It is, but I've found that if you do a Shift-Tab, or Tab, the focus returns
to the folder view and then the current key is highlighted.
Not ideal, but seems to work for now.

"auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone noticed that if you click a key in regedit the icon doesn't
> change
> to an open folder (all the icons always look the same). In Windows XP the
> icon changed to an open folder. This is particularly annoying when
> searching
> for data or values. When your data or value is found the icon to the
> corresponding key does not change, so you don't instantly know which key
> the
> data or value belongs to. Often it is at the bottom of the window, but not
> always. Drives me nuts.

=?Utf-8?B?YXVzZXI=?=

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
very good tip.. i didn't think of doing a shift-tab (mostly because i didn't
tab in there in the first place).

thanks for the info!

"Mark" wrote:

> It is, but I've found that if you do a Shift-Tab, or Tab, the focus returns
> to the folder view and then the current key is highlighted.
> Not ideal, but seems to work for now.
>

> "auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone noticed that if you click a key in regedit the icon doesn't
> > change
> > to an open folder (all the icons always look the same). In Windows XP the
> > icon changed to an open folder. This is particularly annoying when
> > searching
> > for data or values. When your data or value is found the icon to the
> > corresponding key does not change, so you don't instantly know which key
> > the
> > data or value belongs to. Often it is at the bottom of the window, but not
> > always. Drives me nuts.

Mark

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
You're welcome

> very good tip.. i didn't think of doing a shift-tab (mostly because i
> didn't
> tab in there in the first place).
>
> thanks for the info!
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>
>> It is, but I've found that if you do a Shift-Tab, or Tab, the focus
>> returns
>> to the folder view and then the current key is highlighted.
>> Not ideal, but seems to work for now.
>>

>> "auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Has anyone noticed that if you click a key in regedit the icon doesn't
>> > change
>> > to an open folder (all the icons always look the same). In Windows XP
>> > the
>> > icon changed to an open folder. This is particularly annoying when
>> > searching
>> > for data or values. When your data or value is found the icon to the
>> > corresponding key does not change, so you don't instantly know which
>> > key
>> > the
>> > data or value belongs to. Often it is at the bottom of the window, but
>> > not
>> > always. Drives me nuts.

Rick Rogers

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
Hi auser,

Under view from the file menu, make sure the status bar is checked. That way
you can look at the bottom of the window and see exactly what key the tool
is currently focused on.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone noticed that if you click a key in regedit the icon doesn't
> change
> to an open folder (all the icons always look the same). In Windows XP the
> icon changed to an open folder. This is particularly annoying when
> searching
> for data or values. When your data or value is found the icon to the
> corresponding key does not change, so you don't instantly know which key
> the
> data or value belongs to. Often it is at the bottom of the window, but not
> always. Drives me nuts.

=?Utf-8?B?YXVzZXI=?=

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
I was aware of that.. but the key name is almost always too long to be
displayed in the bar completely.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi auser,
>
> Under view from the file menu, make sure the status bar is checked. That way
> you can look at the bottom of the window and see exactly what key the tool
> is currently focused on.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone noticed that if you click a key in regedit the icon doesn't
> > change
> > to an open folder (all the icons always look the same). In Windows XP the
> > icon changed to an open folder. This is particularly annoying when
> > searching
> > for data or values. When your data or value is found the icon to the
> > corresponding key does not change, so you don't instantly know which key
> > the
> > data or value belongs to. Often it is at the bottom of the window, but not
> > always. Drives me nuts.

Richard Urban

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
I just press the "tab" key to move the curser to the open key. Then I tab
back again. Takes all of 2 seconds.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

>I was aware of that.. but the key name is almost always too long to be
> displayed in the bar completely.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi auser,
>>
>> Under view from the file menu, make sure the status bar is checked. That
>> way
>> you can look at the bottom of the window and see exactly what key the
>> tool
>> is currently focused on.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Has anyone noticed that if you click a key in regedit the icon doesn't
>> > change
>> > to an open folder (all the icons always look the same). In Windows XP
>> > the
>> > icon changed to an open folder. This is particularly annoying when
>> > searching
>> > for data or values. When your data or value is found the icon to the
>> > corresponding key does not change, so you don't instantly know which
>> > key
>> > the
>> > data or value belongs to. Often it is at the bottom of the window, but
>> > not
>> > always. Drives me nuts.

=?Utf-8?B?YXVzZXI=?=

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
well, we covered that already in this topic and i agreed that was a good
idea. But it obviously is an oversight on microsoft's part.
Although, I will say that when you are searching for something and that
entry appears in the registry 20 times you don't want to keep having to hit
tab each time.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> I just press the "tab" key to move the curser to the open key. Then I tab
> back again. Takes all of 2 seconds.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was aware of that.. but the key name is almost always too long to be
> > displayed in the bar completely.
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi auser,
> >>
> >> Under view from the file menu, make sure the status bar is checked. That
> >> way
> >> you can look at the bottom of the window and see exactly what key the
> >> tool
> >> is currently focused on.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Richard Urban

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
To me it is easier/faster than browsing a list of 30-40 folders on the left
to see which one indicates it is open.

--

> well, we covered that already in this topic and i agreed that was a good
> idea. But it obviously is an oversight on microsoft's part.
> Although, I will say that when you are searching for something and that
> entry appears in the registry 20 times you don't want to keep having to
> hit
> tab each time.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> I just press the "tab" key to move the curser to the open key. Then I tab
>> back again. Takes all of 2 seconds.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "auser" <auser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I was aware of that.. but the key name is almost always too long to be
>> > displayed in the bar completely.

=?Utf-8?B?YXVzZXI=?=

Re: Annoying vista regedit.
how is it faster? If i need to see all the keys that a value appears in, i
can just keep hitting f3 and look at the folder on the left. Your way i have
to hit f3 and then tab each time.