low memory problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

marty

low memory problem
I have 1GB RAM installed, until now I have had no memory problems. Now
on computer startup and with no programs running my system is already
using nearly 700MB of memory.

Running more than 2 programs will give me a low memory warning dialog
from Windows.

Also, I noticed my virtual memory is set to 0MB (zero) and the paging
file is turned off. Is this a normal default setting in Vista?

Thank you for any help!
Marty
Colin Barnhorst

Re: low memory problem
"marty" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have 1GB RAM installed, until now I have had no memory problems. Now on
>computer startup and with no programs running my system is already using
>nearly 700MB of memory.
>
> Running more than 2 programs will give me a low memory warning dialog from
> Windows.
>
> Also, I noticed my virtual memory is set to 0MB (zero) and the paging file
> is turned off. Is this a normal default setting in Vista?
>
> Thank you for any help!
> Marty

It is with only 1GB. Except for Vista Home Basic I don't think less than
2GB produces a satisfactory experience for many users.

marty

Re: low memory problem
Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> "marty" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I have 1GB RAM installed, until now I have had no memory problems. Now
>> on computer startup and with no programs running my system is already
>> using nearly 700MB of memory.
>>
>> Running more than 2 programs will give me a low memory warning dialog
>> from Windows.
>>
>> Also, I noticed my virtual memory is set to 0MB (zero) and the paging
>> file is turned off. Is this a normal default setting in Vista?
>>
>> Thank you for any help!
>> Marty

> It is with only 1GB. Except for Vista Home Basic I don't think less
> than 2GB produces a satisfactory experience for many users.

Thanks,

Yeah, 2GB would be better but I have been getting satisfactory
performance for my needs up to now.

Still, I'm mystified why I'm having problems now - I never had low
memory problems in the past even with 1GB.
Spirit

Re: low memory problem
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...nge.html?ltr=V

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> "marty" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I have 1GB RAM installed, until now I have had no memory problems. Now
>>> on computer startup and with no programs running my system is already
>>> using nearly 700MB of memory.
>>>
>>> Running more than 2 programs will give me a low memory warning dialog
>>> from Windows.
>>>
>>> Also, I noticed my virtual memory is set to 0MB (zero) and the paging
>>> file is turned off. Is this a normal default setting in Vista?
>>>
>>> Thank you for any help!
>>> Marty

>> It is with only 1GB. Except for Vista Home Basic I don't think less than
>> 2GB produces a satisfactory experience for many users.

> Thanks,
>
> Yeah, 2GB would be better but I have been getting satisfactory performance
> for my needs up to now.
>
> Still, I'm mystified why I'm having problems now - I never had low memory
> problems in the past even with 1GB.

Everyone's needs grow over time. Windows is designed to use memory when it
can so as to increase performance and reduce reliance on the hard drive.
Most likely you are seeing almost constant hard drive activity. Adjusting
the paging file does not really help. Adding memory does. You can also use
a ReadyBoost certified usb stick (4GB) and that will help performance some
but as new updates to programs and new programs come out the need for
adequate memory will just increase.

the wharf rat

Re: low memory problem
In article <#3WARRQ5IHA.4560@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
marty <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Still, I'm mystified why I'm having problems now - I never had low
>memory problems in the past even with 1GB.

Because your swap space (virtual memory) is turned off. Just go
and set to to let Windows manage your swap space...

>>> Also, I noticed my virtual memory is set to 0MB (zero) and the paging
>>> file is turned off. Is this a normal default setting in Vista?

Nonny

Re: low memory problem
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 01:32:52 +1000, marty <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I have 1GB RAM installed, until now I have had no memory problems. Now
>on computer startup and with no programs running my system is already
>using nearly 700MB of memory.
>
>Running more than 2 programs will give me a low memory warning dialog
>from Windows.
>
>Also, I noticed my virtual memory is set to 0MB (zero) and the paging
>file is turned off. Is this a normal default setting in Vista?

NO.

You are getting those messages because you don't have a page file.

Click the Start orb

Start Help and Support

Search for "page file" (no quotes)

First option.
the

Re: low memory problem
Nonny wrote:

<snipped>

<B-I-T-C-H-S-L-A-P-P-E-D> just on GP.
oscar

Re: low memory problem
To answer one of your questions, this might give you a general idea of
“normal” settings in Vista regarding virtual memory:

My system:
Home Premium, 140 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, dual core proc

-2337 MB = total paging size for all drives
-Automatically manage paging file, etc… is ON

Regarding memory useage:
-Word and IE programs opened: Task Manager shows that Vista Home Premium
Performance uses 56% memory (about 1.2 GB) Yes, Aero is on and two active
gadgets are displayed on desktop.

“Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file at the amount of
random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer plus 300 megabytes
(MB), and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of RAM installed on your
computer.” Help and Support

After you resolve this issue, I recommend installing 2 GB RAM.

If you have at least 2 GB RAM the external ReadyBoost USB memory stick will
offer little to no noticable speed to your system or applications.

--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

"marty" wrote:

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> > "marty" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> I have 1GB RAM installed, until now I have had no memory problems. Now
> >> on computer startup and with no programs running my system is already
> >> using nearly 700MB of memory.
> >>
> >> Running more than 2 programs will give me a low memory warning dialog
> >> from Windows.
> >>
> >> Also, I noticed my virtual memory is set to 0MB (zero) and the paging
> >> file is turned off. Is this a normal default setting in Vista?
> >>
> >> Thank you for any help!
> >> Marty

> > It is with only 1GB. Except for Vista Home Basic I don't think less
> > than 2GB produces a satisfactory experience for many users.

> Thanks,
>
> Yeah, 2GB would be better but I have been getting satisfactory
> performance for my needs up to now.
>
> Still, I'm mystified why I'm having problems now - I never had low
> memory problems in the past even with 1GB.

joel406

Re: low memory problem

I got a vista system running here(not mine one of my kids)with just
512MB of RAM and has never run low on memory. Turn on the page file and
set your virtual memory to be handled by the system. Then you should
never use more then 60~65% of your memory.

Good luck.

--
joel406